Thread overview
Code formatting and documentation on hover in VisualD?
Jul 14
blizzard
Jul 18
blizzard
Jul 20
blizzard
Jul 20
blizzard
July 14
Hello,
I mostly use vscode, but because I read somewhere that for Dlang VisualD is better, so I am trying in out. But does it support code formatting and showing documentation on hover like the vscode plugin? Because both these features are not working for me in VisualD.
July 18

On 14/07/2020 09:14, blizzard wrote:
> Hello,
> I mostly use vscode, but because I read somewhere that for Dlang VisualD
> is better, so I am trying in out. But does it support code formatting
> and showing documentation on hover like the vscode plugin? Because both
> these features are not working for me in VisualD.

Visual D supports "formatting" with regard to indentation, but not reflowing the code across multiple lines.

Documentation should show up in tool tips as long as it is written in ddoc style. Not sure if the D extensions in VS code also grab other comments.
July 18
On Saturday, 18 July 2020 at 06:34:23 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
> Visual D supports "formatting" with regard to indentation, but not reflowing the code across multiple lines.

Can you please add support for https://github.com/dlang-community/dfmt or whatever the vscode extension uses.

> Documentation should show up in tool tips as long as it is written in ddoc style.

I don't know what ddoc style comment is but this is what I get https://imgur.com/NxmWUDk for every symbol that I have tried it on.

> Not sure if the D extensions in VS code also grab other comments.
The VSCode extension provides an option to search a particular symbol in dpldocs and then opens its corresponding page in vscode itself.
July 19

On 18/07/2020 09:03, blizzard wrote:
> On Saturday, 18 July 2020 at 06:34:23 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>> Visual D supports "formatting" with regard to indentation, but not reflowing the code across multiple lines.
> 
> Can you please add support for https://github.com/dlang-community/dfmt or whatever the vscode extension uses.
> 

You are not the first to ask, but I'm not a big fan of these auto-formatters. So I wouldn't hold my breath, but pull request welcome... ;-)

>> Documentation should show up in tool tips as long as it is written in ddoc style.
> 
> I don't know what ddoc style comment is but this is what I get https://imgur.com/NxmWUDk for every symbol that I have tried it on.
> 

ddoc style is the way to get documentation as built into the compiler. Most documentation is written this way.

Indeed, there are/were some troubles with modules not loaded in the editor and templates, readln is an example for both issues.

I have fixed these, please try https://github.com/dlang/visuald/releases/tag/v1.0.1-beta1

>> Not sure if the D extensions in VS code also grab other comments.
> The VSCode extension provides an option to search a particular symbol in dpldocs and then opens its corresponding page in vscode itself.

If you press F1 on an identifier Visual D will take you to its documentation that was installed with the compiler.
July 20
On Sunday, 19 July 2020 at 14:58:08 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> Indeed, there are/were some troubles with modules not loaded in the editor and templates, readln is an example for both issues.
>
> I have fixed these, please try https://github.com/dlang/visuald/releases/tag/v1.0.1-beta1
>
>>> Not sure if the D extensions in VS code also grab other comments.
>> The VSCode extension provides an option to search a particular symbol in dpldocs and then opens its corresponding page in vscode itself.
>
> If you press F1 on an identifier Visual D will take you to its documentation that was installed with the compiler.

thank you, it works...
July 20
On Sunday, 19 July 2020 at 14:58:08 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>
>
> On 18/07/2020 09:03, blizzard wrote:
>> On Saturday, 18 July 2020 at 06:34:23 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>>> Visual D supports "formatting" with regard to indentation, but not reflowing the code across multiple lines.
>> 
>> Can you please add support for https://github.com/dlang-community/dfmt or whatever the vscode extension uses.
>> 
>
> You are not the first to ask, but I'm not a big fan of these auto-formatters. So I wouldn't hold my breath, but pull request welcome... ;-)
>

I set up dfmt using https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/managing-external-tools?view=vs-2019
Works good enough for me :D