Shachar Shemesh
Jul 03, 2017
Jonathan M Davis
Jul 03, 2017
Shachar Shemesh
Jul 03, 2017
Jonathan M Davis
July 01, 2017
I've followed the instructions at https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Posix to build posix on Win32 using wine (awesome possum!). It works great for building dmd and then druntime. However when I try to build phobos I get the odd errors pasted below. Any ideas on why that is happening? Thanks! -- Andrei

std\xml.d(1650): Error: function std.xml.Item.opEquals does not override any function, did you mean to override 'object.Object.opEquals'?
std\xml.d(1653): Error: function std.xml.Item.opCmp does not override any function, did you mean to override 'object.Object.opCmp'?
std\xml.d(1273): Error: function std.xml.Comment.opEquals does not override any function, did you mean to override 'object.Object.opEquals'?
std\xml.d(1292): Error: function std.xml.Comment.opCmp does not override any function, did you mean to override 'object.Object.opCmp'?
std\xml.d(1313): Error: function std.xml.Comment.isEmptyXML does not override any function
std\xml.d(1361): Error: function std.xml.CData.opEquals does not override any function, did you mean to override 'object.Object.opEquals'?
std\xml.d(1380): Error: function std.xml.CData.opCmp does not override any function, did you mean to override 'object.Object.opCmp'?
std\xml.d(1401): Error: function std.xml.CData.isEmptyXML does not override any function
std\xml.d(1438): Error: function std.xml.Text.opEquals does not override any function, did you mean to override 'object.Object.opEquals'?
std\xml.d(1457): Error: function std.xml.Text.opCmp does not override any function, did you mean to override 'object.Object.opCmp'?
std\xml.d(1481): Error: function std.xml.Text.isEmptyXML does not override any function
std\xml.d(1521): Error: function std.xml.XMLInstruction.opEquals does not override any function, did you mean to override 'object.Object.opEquals'?
std\xml.d(1540): Error: function std.xml.XMLInstruction.opCmp does not override any function, did you mean to override 'object.Object.opCmp'?
std\xml.d(1561): Error: function std.xml.XMLInstruction.isEmptyXML does not override any function
std\xml.d(1601): Error: function std.xml.ProcessingInstruction.opEquals does not override any function, did you mean to override 'object.Object.opEquals'?
std\xml.d(1620): Error: function std.xml.ProcessingInstruction.opCmp does not override any function, did you mean to override 'object.Object.opCmp'?
std\xml.d(1641): Error: function std.xml.ProcessingInstruction.isEmptyXML does not override any function
July 01, 2017
On Saturday, 1 July 2017 at 21:09:47 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> I've followed the instructions at https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Posix to build posix on Win32 using wine (awesome possum!). It works great for building dmd and then druntime. However when I try to build phobos I get the odd errors pasted below. Any ideas on why that is happening? Thanks! -- Andrei
>
> [...]

It is unclear what you're trying to do, why would you build the Posix versions of D under Wine?  I ran the Windows version of D under Wine around 7 years ago and didn't have a problem, though I don't think I ran the tests.
July 01, 2017
On 07/01/2017 05:37 PM, Joakim wrote:
> On Saturday, 1 July 2017 at 21:09:47 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> I've followed the instructions at https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Posix to build posix on Win32 using wine (awesome possum!). It works great for building dmd and then druntime. However when I try to build phobos I get the odd errors pasted below. Any ideas on why that is happening? Thanks! -- Andrei
>>
>> [...]
> 
> It is unclear what you're trying to do, why would you build the Posix versions of D under Wine?  I ran the Windows version of D under Wine around 7 years ago and didn't have a problem, though I don't think I ran the tests.

Was trying to repro the win32 errors in https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5472 without installing windows. I was building the win32, not the posix binaries. -- Andrei
July 02, 2017
Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> I've followed the instructions at https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Posix to build posix on Win32 using wine (awesome possum!). It works great for building dmd and then druntime. However when I try to build phobos I get the odd errors pasted below. Any ideas on why that is happening? Thanks! -- Andrei

i bet you forgot to pass DMD to make. both druntime and phobos should be built with:

wine make DMD=../dmd/src/dmd.exe -fwin32.mak

where DMD=... is the path to dmd.exe you just built at the first step.

wiki is severely incomplete and outdated.
July 01, 2017
On 7/1/17 6:06 PM, ketmar wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> 
>> I've followed the instructions at https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Posix to build posix on Win32 using wine (awesome possum!). It works great for building dmd and then druntime. However when I try to build phobos I get the odd errors pasted below. Any ideas on why that is happening? Thanks! -- Andrei
> 
> i bet you forgot to pass DMD to make. both druntime and phobos should be built with:
> 
>      wine make DMD=../dmd/src/dmd.exe -fwin32.mak
> 
> where DMD=... is the path to dmd.exe you just built at the first step.

Probably not the problem. I've added the path to Path in the registry and dmd is found fine - it does compile certain files.

> wiki is severely incomplete and outdated.

The wine guide has been created by Razvan Nitu, my student, two weeks ago.

Thanks,

Andrei
July 02, 2017
..so be it. if you said that it is not a problem, than it is not a problem. sorry for helping.
July 02, 2017
On Sunday, 2 July 2017 at 01:46:14 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Probably not the problem.

Did you actually try it? Might as well rule it out.

I find building on Windows (including with wine) is an absolute mess. Have to edit the makefile and it git clones something into ../..???? WTF.
July 02, 2017
On Saturday, 1 July 2017 at 21:09:47 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
> [...]

looks like a druntime/phobos mismatch.

July 02, 2017
On 07/01/2017 11:31 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 2 July 2017 at 01:46:14 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Probably not the problem.
> 
> Did you actually try it? Might as well rule it out.

I did, but had a typo. Yay, it worked. Thanks ketmar. I'll add the info to the wiki.

> I find building on Windows (including with wine) is an absolute mess. Have to edit the makefile and it git clones something into ../..???? WTF.

Yah, I also found it odd that dmd's make tries to execute git (I don't have it installed for Windows). The build does succeed though.

Andrei
July 03, 2017
On Saturday, July 01, 2017 17:09:47 Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
> std\xml.d(1650): Error: function std.xml.Item.opEquals does not override any function, did you mean to override 'object.Object.opEquals'?
[...]

Well, that looks bad, and it really should be working better than that, but I would point out that (at least, the last time I checked), wine does not behave correctly with regards to some of the date/time stuff, so some of the std.datetime tests will fail with wine, and fixing that requires that wine start behaving like Windows like it's supposed to. So, best case, at least some Phobos tests will fail under wine, but it _should_ work to at least build and use dmd and Phobos under wine. It just will have some of the issues that you typically get running windows applications under wine. I haven't done it in years though, so I have no idea how up-to-date those instructions are.

- Jonathan M Davis

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2