July 24
On Monday, 24 July 2017 at 22:15:16 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
> One thing to watch out for, though, is that if the D frontend starts using features introduced after its conversion to D, we are going to need to explicitly document the bootstrapping path (right now it's still simple enough with `C++ compiler -> D compiler with 2.068.2 frontend (e.g. ldc 0.17.x) -> Latest D compiler`).

We're using the latest previous major release line to build releases, so 2.068.x build 2.069.x, builds 2.070.x, ..., builds 2.075.0. You might get away with skipping versions, but that's not how the releases were built.
Bootstrapping the compiler to run on new architectures requires cross-compliation, but it's less of an interest than cross-compiling for a different architecture.

July 25
On Monday, 24 July 2017 at 23:25:50 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On Monday, 24 July 2017 at 22:15:16 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
>> One thing to watch out for, though, is that if the D frontend starts using features introduced after its conversion to D, we are going to need to explicitly document the bootstrapping path (right now it's still simple enough with `C++ compiler -> D compiler with 2.068.2 frontend (e.g. ldc 0.17.x) -> Latest D compiler`).
>
> We're using the latest previous major release line to build releases, so 2.068.x build 2.069.x, builds 2.070.x, ..., builds 2.075.0.

That's a sensible choice for the official binary distribution.

> You might get away with skipping versions, but that's not how the releases were built.

When you bootstrap (e.g. on any source based Linux distribution such as Gentoo, Funtoo, ...) you want the path to be as short as feasible (even with dmd's fairly short compile times) and how the official binary releases are/were build isn't part of the consideration, because - unlike them - you don't happen to have a D compiler with D frontend version - 1 ready for use.
In any case, all that would be required - if the path ever becomes longer - would be an automatically updated file like this:

bootstrap-path:
---
2.068.2
---

An autotester can then check before each release if dmd master can still be build by dmd with the version of the last line in that file, and if not, append the last dmd release to it.
July 25
On Saturday, 22 July 2017 at 21:22:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/22/2017 2:04 AM, Martin Nowak It'll be converted anyway. :-)
>

>
> Putting the entire set in D (C compiler, C++ compiler, C preprocessor, htod converter, optimizer, code generator) makes the whole thing much more tractable, and who knows what we will be able to do with it!

Does that mean that DMC++ will hit Github?
I'm also interested in open-sourced version of snn library, of course.

July 24
On 7/24/2017 10:35 PM, Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On Saturday, 22 July 2017 at 21:22:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 7/22/2017 2:04 AM, Martin Nowak It'll be converted anyway. :-)
>>
>
>>
>> Putting the entire set in D (C compiler, C++ compiler, C preprocessor, htod converter, optimizer, code generator) makes the whole thing much more tractable, and who knows what we will be able to do with it!
>
> Does that mean that DMC++ will hit Github?
> I'm also interested in open-sourced version of snn library, of course.

It did that a long time ago, but as a private repository.  I suspect it won't stay private forever though.
July 25
On 7/24/2017 10:35 PM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> Does that mean that DMC++ will hit Github?
> I'm also interested in open-sourced version of snn library, of course.

Yes to both. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

July 31
On Monday, 24 July 2017 at 13:18:01 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 July 2017 at 15:36:22 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
>>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA512
>>
>> Glad to announce D 2.075.0.
>>
>
> I've published a post on the blog to announce the release there. For future releases, I'll be coordinating with Martin so that I can time the blog posts to go out on the same day as the forum announcements. This will give us something more redditable than the forum announcement or the changelog.
>
> Blog:
> https://dlang.org/blog/2017/07/24/new-d-compiler-release-dmd-2-075-0/
>
> Reddit:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/6p89zj/new_d_compiler_release_dmd_20750/

Looks like the blog post approach worked, a new all-time high in downloads, and still heading up: :D

http://erdani.com/d/downloads.daily.png
August 08
On Wednesday, 19 July 2017 at 15:36:22 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA512
>
> Glad to announce D 2.075.0.
>
> This release comes with various phobos additions, a repackaged
> std.datetime, configurable Fiber stack guard pages (now also on
> Posix), and optional precise GC scanning for the DATA/TLS segment (static
> data) on Windows.
>
> http://dlang.org/download.html http://dlang.org/changelog/2.075.0.html

Sorry for replying so late, but the changelog for 2.075.0[1] incorrectly list issue 14246[2] as solved, when the fix was, in fact, reverted [3].

[1] http://dlang.org/changelog/2.075.0.html#bugfix-list
[2] https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14246
[3] https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6913

Next ›   Last »
1 2 3