Thread overview
(Visual D) it is not clear on how to install dub packages into project.
October 21
Hello, its not very clear how to install dub packages into existing visual D projects.
I tried using the packages manager to run "dub add dsfml" however that froze the package manager and I had to go into task manager and force end the dub process.

there really needs to be a clear explanation on this as dub is the official package manager for the d language and I have still yet to figure out how to use it.

this is not just for visual D but other IDE implementations of the d language.
when I go to the dub website it simply says... "to install run "dub add <packagename>""
however when trying this it says I must first run "dub init" which i'm not sure is per project or once per computer.

anyhow this system is clearly flawed for beginners.
something as simple as "dub add <packagename>" would be fine.
especially if it auto generated a project based on folder name and login details if one didn't exist.

what I am wondering is how do I install packages with visual D in visual studio 2019?
I currently have had better luck with c++ due to video tutorials and that's pretty bad since you have to link c++ files, which in itself is a pain in the ass and definitely not beginner friendly.

October 21
On 21/10/2019 5:40 PM, Shadowblitz16 wrote:
> Hello, its not very clear how to install dub packages into existing visual D projects.
> I tried using the packages manager to run "dub add dsfml" however that froze the package manager and I had to go into task manager and force end the dub process.

That command is not needed.
Its easy enough to add the dependency manually in the dub file (see below).

Also please report this as a bug, because I've never seen that behavior before.

https://github.com/dlang/dub

> there really needs to be a clear explanation on this as dub is the official package manager for the d language and I have still yet to figure out how to use it.
> 
> this is not just for visual D but other IDE implementations of the d language.
> when I go to the dub website it simply says... "to install run "dub add <packagename>""
> however when trying this it says I must first run "dub init" which i'm not sure is per project or once per computer.

Per project, it creates the dub.json or dub.sdl file. I.e. (a fairly complex real project)
https://github.com/dlang-community/D-Scanner/blob/master/dub.json

For future reference this isn't related to VisualD, and D.learn group would be more appropriate.
October 21
On Monday, 21 October 2019 at 04:47:13 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> On 21/10/2019 5:40 PM, Shadowblitz16 wrote:
>> [...]
>
> That command is not needed.
> Its easy enough to add the dependency manually in the dub file (see below).
>
> Also please report this as a bug, because I've never seen that behavior before.
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dub
>
>> [...]
>
> Per project, it creates the dub.json or dub.sdl file. I.e. (a fairly complex real project)
> https://github.com/dlang-community/D-Scanner/blob/master/dub.json
>
> For future reference this isn't related to VisualD, and D.learn group would be more appropriate.

actually just realized it was dub init that froze the dub and the visual studio extension manager not dub add <packagename>