July 23, 2008
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:17:42 -0400, Jarrett Billingsley wrote:

> "Bill Baxter" <wbaxter@gmail.com> wrote in message news:mailman.39.1216843508.32098.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com... maelp wrote:
>>> has potential to become industry standard). So - I think - it would be easy to get a bunch of them to adopt D and it could have the long-lasting benefit of getting D users into gaming companies.
> 
> Doesn't the large-ish size of D binaries put it out of the running for a demo-scene language?  Or are demo-sceners less adamant about that these days?
> 
> --bb
> 
> There are size competitions (like the 64kB one), but I've seen many demos that were 20MB+ in size.  In that case the media is going to far outweigh the code size.

There are 20MB size demos for sure.
But if you have any size restrictions at all,
Current D compilers would be a drawback about what you can put into the
binary.
Embedded devices are a related issue.

Despite this, D usability is definitely a huge plus.
July 24, 2008
maelp wrote:
>> has potential to become industry standard). So - I think - it would be  easy to get a bunch of them to adopt D and it could have the long-lasting  benefit of getting D users into gaming companies.
> 
> What's more important, is, in MY opinion, to get more "artsy" people to use D, and
> therefore to develop the equivalent of www.processing.org or of _why's Shoes ruby GUI toolkit .
> I am already trying to develop dVision, a smallish  embryo of a image processing, interaction and graphics D library, that is not yet mature enough to be used (though you can check some code at github.com/maelp/dvision) but would be nice to build with a small team.
> 
> What I'm aiming at is :
>   - A nice image processing API that must be usable enough so that (students and) newcomers can get a grab at it very quickly, even if they don't want to use intricate D programming
>   - can be easily extended and use all the features of generic programming that D can provide (although "regular" users do not have to know how to use them to their fullest extent)
>   - a small processing-like or shoes like GUI / rapid prototyping environment, featuring a lot of libraries, to do interaction and graphics, hopefully enabling the processing of videos and webcams, etc
>   - if we can do it, a dsss-like plugin system, where people can share repositories and do dsss net install my_extension to extend the framework
> 
> If someone has ideas / wants to help, I'm more than happy to have people join the project! 
> 
>  

If you like algorithmic art, you might also look at "Context Free" for sources of inspiration:

http://www.contextfreeart.org/gallery/view.php?t=rand&num=25

--benji
July 24, 2008
"Benji Smith" <dlanguage@benjismith.net> wrote in message news:g68gr2$1b3v$1@digitalmars.com...
> maelp wrote:
>>> has potential to become industry standard). So - I think - it would be easy to get a bunch of them to adopt D and it could have the long-lasting  benefit of getting D users into gaming companies.
>>
>> What's more important, is, in MY opinion, to get more "artsy" people to
>> use D, and
>> therefore to develop the equivalent of www.processing.org or of _why's
>> Shoes ruby GUI toolkit .
>> I am already trying to develop dVision, a smallish  embryo of a image
>> processing, interaction and graphics D library, that is not yet mature
>> enough to be used (though you can check some code at
>> github.com/maelp/dvision) but would be nice to build with a small team.
>>
>> What I'm aiming at is :
>>   - A nice image processing API that must be usable enough so that
>> (students and) newcomers can get a grab at it very quickly, even if they
>> don't want to use intricate D programming
>>   - can be easily extended and use all the features of generic
>> programming that D can provide (although "regular" users do not have to
>> know how to use them to their fullest extent)
>>   - a small processing-like or shoes like GUI / rapid prototyping
>> environment, featuring a lot of libraries, to do interaction and
>> graphics, hopefully enabling the processing of videos and webcams, etc
>>   - if we can do it, a dsss-like plugin system, where people can share
>> repositories and do dsss net install my_extension to extend the framework
>>
>> If someone has ideas / wants to help, I'm more than happy to have people join the project!
>
> If you like algorithmic art, you might also look at "Context Free" for sources of inspiration:
>
> http://www.contextfreeart.org/gallery/view.php?t=rand&num=25
>
> --benji

And to think, in my day all we had was Logo ;)

July 25, 2008
"Mike" <vertex@gmx.at> wrote in message news:op.ueqs8105kgfkbn@lucia...
> It just occured to me that D would be THE perfect language for the demo scene. Inline assembler, all those C libraries at hand, pointer tricks, all there.
<snip>

"The demo scene" - as in this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demoscene

I don't suppose I'm the only one here who at first thought of demo versions of commercial software products.

Stewart.

-- 
My e-mail address is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on the 'group where everybody may benefit. 

1 2
Next ›   Last »