May 16, 2012
Hi,


I am trying to get DFL to work and failing.  Details follow:

First, I downloaded the latest snapshot (dfl-20110523.exe installer).

Next, I Installed in my DMD folder (c:\d\dmd2)

Then, I created a project as per the tutorial (http://www.dprogramming.com/dfl/welcome.php)

Then I tried to build it (dfl -debug welcome.d -gui) [note: the options were changed as per the errata]

When I did this, I got the following:
	DFL lib files not found.
	Would you like to build the DFL lib files now? [Y/n]

I answered Y and got the following:
Compiling debug DFL...

C:\D\dmd2\import\dfl>C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\dmd -c -debug -g    -I.. all.d base.d
 application.d internal/dlib.d internal/clib.d internal/utf.d internal/com.d con
trol.d form.d registry.d drawing.d menu.d notifyicon.d commondialog.d filedialog
.d folderdialog.d panel.d textbox.d richtextbox.d picturebox.d listbox.d groupbo
x.d splitter.d usercontrol.d button.d label.d collections.d internal/winapi.d in
ternal/wincom.d event.d socket.d timer.d environment.d messagebox.d tooltip.d co
mbobox.d treeview.d tabcontrol.d colordialog.d listview.d data.d clipboard.d fon
tdialog.d progressbar.d resources.d statusbar.d imagelist.d toolbar.d
application.d(1842): use of typedef is deprecated; use alias instead
application.d(1842): use of typedef is deprecated; use alias instead
internal\winapi.d(1726): use of typedef is deprecated; use alias instead
internal\winapi.d(1726): use of typedef is deprecated; use alias instead

Failed.

Done.
Could Not Find C:\D\dmd2\import\dfl\*.obj
DFL lib files not found.
Error: dfl_debug.lib not found

Press any key to continue . . .


I then replaced typedef with alias references to fix the messages above and retried the compilation.  I got:
Compiling debug DFL...

C:\D\dmd2\import\dfl>C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\dmd -c -debug -g    -I.. all.d base.d
 application.d internal/dlib.d internal/clib.d internal/utf.d internal/com.d con
trol.d form.d registry.d drawing.d menu.d notifyicon.d commondialog.d filedialog
.d folderdialog.d panel.d textbox.d richtextbox.d picturebox.d listbox.d groupbo
x.d splitter.d usercontrol.d button.d label.d collections.d internal/winapi.d in
ternal/wincom.d event.d socket.d timer.d environment.d messagebox.d tooltip.d co
mbobox.d treeview.d tabcontrol.d colordialog.d listview.d data.d clipboard.d fon
tdialog.d progressbar.d resources.d statusbar.d imagelist.d toolbar.d
Notice: As of Phobos 2.058, std.ctype has been deprecated. It will be removed in
 August 2012. Please use std.ascii instead.
internal\utf.d(91): Error: identifier 'useWfuncs' of 'std.file.useWfuncs' is not
 defined

Failed.

Done.
Could Not Find C:\D\dmd2\import\dfl\*.obj
DFL lib files not found.
Error: dfl_debug.lib not found

Press any key to continue . . .

This is when I realized I should stop heading down the rabbit hole and ask here.

Help!

May 16, 2012
Try using the version from https://github.com/Rayerd/dfl instead of the one from the official site.


May 16, 2012
On Wed, 16 May 2012 17:16:52 +0200, Ronny <ronnyzmanbarzell@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>
> I am trying to get DFL to work and failing.  Details follow:

Didn't read your post, but this repository is probably more up to date: https://github.com/Rayerd/dfl
May 16, 2012
On Wed, 16 May 2012 10:52:35 -0500, Richard Webb <webby@beardmouse.org.uk> wrote:

> Try using the version from https://github.com/Rayerd/dfl instead of the one from the official site.
>
>

If that doesn't help, dmd has an option to enable deprecated features.
that might fix all of your issues, if using the github repo doesn't.

-- 
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
May 17, 2012
On Wednesday, 16 May 2012 at 23:32:07 UTC, 1100110 wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2012 10:52:35 -0500, Richard Webb <webby@beardmouse.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Try using the version from https://github.com/Rayerd/dfl instead of the one from the official site.
>>
>>
>
> If that doesn't help, dmd has an option to enable deprecated features.
> that might fix all of your issues, if using the github repo doesn't.

No, the official website is far behind the latest dmd and many issues not deprecations will come. The provided repository has been kept up to date by a number of people.
May 17, 2012
On Wednesday, 16 May 2012 at 15:52:37 UTC, Richard Webb wrote:
> Try using the version from https://github.com/Rayerd/dfl instead of the one from the official site.

Thank you, but that didn't work.  I now get the following error:

C:\D\dmd2\import\dfl>C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\dmd -c -debug -g  -wi  -I.. all.d bas
e.d application.d internal/dlib.d internal/clib.d internal/utf.d internal/com.d
control.d clippingform.d form.d registry.d drawing.d menu.d notifyicon.d commond
ialog.d filedialog.d folderdialog.d panel.d textbox.d richtextbox.d picturebox.d
 listbox.d groupbox.d splitter.d usercontrol.d button.d label.d collections.d in
ternal/winapi.d internal/wincom.d event.d socket.d timer.d environment.d message
box.d tooltip.d combobox.d treeview.d tabcontrol.d colordialog.d listview.d data
.d clipboard.d fontdialog.d progressbar.d resources.d statusbar.d imagelist.d to
olbar.d
Notice: As of Phobos 2.058, std.ctype has been deprecated. It will be removed in
 August 2012. Please use std.ascii instead.
internal\utf.d(91): Error: identifier 'useWfuncs' of 'std.file.useWfuncs' is not
 defined

Failed.

Done.
Could Not Find C:\D\dmd2\import\dfl\*.obj
DFL lib files not found.
Error: dfl_debug.lib not found
May 17, 2012
On 05/17/12 23:47, Ronny wrote:
> On Wednesday, 16 May 2012 at 15:52:37 UTC, Richard Webb wrote:
>> Try using the version from https://github.com/Rayerd/dfl instead of the one from the official site.
> 
> Thank you, but that didn't work.  I now get the following error:
> 
> C:\D\dmd2\import\dfl>C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\dmd -c -debug -g  -wi  -I..
> all.d bas
> e.d application.d internal/dlib.d internal/clib.d internal/utf.d
> internal/com.d
> control.d clippingform.d form.d registry.d drawing.d menu.d notifyicon.d
> commond
> ialog.d filedialog.d folderdialog.d panel.d textbox.d richtextbox.d
> picturebox.d
>  listbox.d groupbox.d splitter.d usercontrol.d button.d label.d
> collections.d in
> ternal/winapi.d internal/wincom.d event.d socket.d timer.d environment.d
> message
> box.d tooltip.d combobox.d treeview.d tabcontrol.d colordialog.d
> listview.d data
> ..d clipboard.d fontdialog.d progressbar.d resources.d statusbar.d
> imagelist.d to
> olbar.d
> Notice: As of Phobos 2.058, std.ctype has been deprecated. It will be
> removed in
>  August 2012. Please use std.ascii instead.
> internal\utf.d(91): Error: identifier 'useWfuncs' of
> 'std.file.useWfuncs' is not
>  defined
> 
> Failed.
> 
> Done.
> Could Not Find C:\D\dmd2\import\dfl\*.obj
> DFL lib files not found.
> Error: dfl_debug.lib not found

Looks like a -d is missing on the command line to allow deprecated functions.
May 21, 2012
> Looks like a -d is missing on the command line to allow deprecated
> functions.

Still doesn't work.

Thank you to everyone who has offered help, but I think I've seen enough to dismiss DFL.  If I have to duct tape it just to get it to work, then what does this say about the rest of the product?  I don't intend to find out.

If there are other windowing kits for D that work right out of the box (integration with Entice would be sweet), I'd love to know about them.  Otherwise, I'll have to look elsewhere for UI capabilities.

I really like D, so I hope I won't have to look elsewhere because of the absence of a workable GUI.

Oh, and by workable I don't mean thin wrappers to the Windows API.  I did my time with the Windows API, and I don't intend to repeat the experience.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to help.  I really appreciate it.
May 21, 2012
For what it's worth, building the code from https://github.com/Rayerd/dfl with the included makelib.bat seems to work fine for me with DMD 2.059.
May 21, 2012
On Thursday, 17 May 2012 at 21:47:19 UTC, Ronny wrote:
> Failed.
>
> Done.
> Could Not Find C:\D\dmd2\import\dfl\*.obj
> DFL lib files not found.
> Error: dfl_debug.lib not found

This was how I installed DMD and DFL. You can replace C:\opt\ with C:\D\

I suggest using dfl.exe which you look to be doing, when it asks if you want to generate the library say y (I think you missed this) but even this will have an issue if dfl.exe does not have these relative paths:

bin\dfl.exe
import\dfl
windows\bin\dmd.exe

=== dmd ===

Download version 2 of the compiler. Extract it into C:\opt\

Update your environment variables to include C:\opt\dmd2\windows\bin

Version: 2.059

=== dfl ===

Dowload the latest snapshot zip file. Extract this into C:\opt\dmd2

Update your environment variables to include C:\opt\dmd2\bin

Use the github address to download the latest and just replace import\dfl with the needed win32/dfl

dfl - graphical library
	http://wiki.dprogramming.com/Dfl/Snapshots
	https://github.com/Rayerd/dfl

Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home