Apr 04, 2002
Chris Widdows
Apr 05, 2002
Walter
Apr 05, 2002
Chris Widdows
April 03, 2002
Hi,

I've started to try to get the default MFC source included with DM building. Note that is not the MFC/ATL stuff on the web site. So far the libs seem to build but I'm getting quite few warnings. On that raises it head a lot is a warning "value of expression is not used", which is for a line containing just "CATCH_ALL(e)".

I'm compiling with just very few defines _UNICODE, _WIN32 and _WINDOWS.

To those more experienced with building MFC, is this normal? Am I missing any important define?

Chris
April 03, 2002
Chris Widdows wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've started to try to get the default MFC source included with DM building. Note that is not the MFC/ATL stuff on the web site. So far the libs seem to build but I'm getting quite few warnings. On that raises it head a lot is a warning "value of expression is not used", which is for a line containing just "CATCH_ALL(e)".
>
> I'm compiling with just very few defines _UNICODE, _WIN32 and _WINDOWS.
>
> To those more experienced with building MFC, is this normal? Am I missing any important define?

This is normal AFAIK.

Jan

April 03, 2002
To add to that, I've found that defining _DEBUG will break the compilation. When building the nafxcwd.prj the build fails as:

sc ..\arccore.cpp -cpp -Ae -mn -C -D_WINDOWS -S -3 -a8 -c -g -D_DEBUG
-D_WIN32 -D_MBCS=1 -I\dev\dm\mfcn\include
-o\dev\dm\mfcn\nafxcwd\arccore.obj
Error: C:\Dev\dm\MFCN\SRC\32-BIT\PROJECTS\..\arccore.cpp(416): no
match for function '?_P(unsigned ,char *,int )'
Lines Processed: 176565  Errors: 1  Warnings: 0
Build failed

The source code line is
	m_lpBufStart = new BYTE[m_nBufSize];

Something has gone wrong with the redefinition of new,  which I can only find in afx.h, line 1646. Seems ok to me, what am I missing here.

Chris

April 03, 2002
On Wed, 03 Apr 2002 15:06:32 +0200, Chris Widdows <chris@widdows.demon.nl> wrote:

Since then I have found that it is only the new[] that gives problems, normal new's do compile.

Chris.

>To add to that, I've found that defining _DEBUG will break the compilation. When building the nafxcwd.prj the build fails as:
>
>sc ..\arccore.cpp -cpp -Ae -mn -C -D_WINDOWS -S -3 -a8 -c -g -D_DEBUG
>-D_WIN32 -D_MBCS=1 -I\dev\dm\mfcn\include
>-o\dev\dm\mfcn\nafxcwd\arccore.obj
>Error: C:\Dev\dm\MFCN\SRC\32-BIT\PROJECTS\..\arccore.cpp(416): no
>match for function '?_P(unsigned ,char *,int )'
>Lines Processed: 176565  Errors: 1  Warnings: 0
>Build failed
> 
>The source code line is
>	m_lpBufStart = new BYTE[m_nBufSize];
>
>Something has gone wrong with the redefinition of new,  which I can only find in afx.h, line 1646. Seems ok to me, what am I missing here.
>
>Chris

April 04, 2002
One thing that has changed is array new[] overloading is now supported by default. This sounds likely to be the culprit.

"Chris Widdows" <chris@widdows.demon.nl> wrote in message news:noqlaucrjrap9v6kvb1ev8eg6dmq4gdlie@4ax.com...
> To add to that, I've found that defining _DEBUG will break the compilation. When building the nafxcwd.prj the build fails as:
>
> sc ..\arccore.cpp -cpp -Ae -mn -C -D_WINDOWS -S -3 -a8 -c -g -D_DEBUG
> -D_WIN32 -D_MBCS=1 -I\dev\dm\mfcn\include
> -o\dev\dm\mfcn\nafxcwd\arccore.obj
> Error: C:\Dev\dm\MFCN\SRC\32-BIT\PROJECTS\..\arccore.cpp(416): no
> match for function '?_P(unsigned ,char *,int )'
> Lines Processed: 176565  Errors: 1  Warnings: 0
> Build failed
>
> The source code line is
> m_lpBufStart = new BYTE[m_nBufSize];
>
> Something has gone wrong with the redefinition of new,  which I can only find in afx.h, line 1646. Seems ok to me, what am I missing here.
>
> Chris
>

April 04, 2002
On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 22:47:51 -0800, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:

>One thing that has changed is array new[] overloading is now supported by default. This sounds likely to be the culprit.
>

quite possibly, the code I looked at seems to expect the new[] to get back to the 'regular' new somehow. Do you imply that -Aa is always on? Does the setting in the IDDE do anything (I tried switching it on/off in the IDDE and that didn't help)? Should I use -Aa- ?

I also saw -Aw to enable wchar_t as a built-in type, curious, how does this relate the wchar_t alias pragma?

Chris

April 05, 2002
-Aa is always on now. Unfortunately, -Aa- won't turn it off. Perhaps I should add that functionality. -Walter

"Chris Widdows" <chris@widdows.demon.nl> wrote in message news:rl1oauckn3cpeocija61283chl0psrq0s6@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 22:47:51 -0800, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
> >One thing that has changed is array new[] overloading is now supported by default. This sounds likely to be the culprit.
> >
>
> quite possibly, the code I looked at seems to expect the new[] to get back to the 'regular' new somehow. Do you imply that -Aa is always on? Does the setting in the IDDE do anything (I tried switching it on/off in the IDDE and that didn't help)? Should I use -Aa- ?
>
> I also saw -Aw to enable wchar_t as a built-in type, curious, how does this relate the wchar_t alias pragma?
>
> Chris
>

April 05, 2002
On Thu, 4 Apr 2002 22:39:00 -0800, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:

>-Aa is always on now. Unfortunately, -Aa- won't turn it off. Perhaps I should add that functionality. -Walter
>

I've sent some patches to MFC to help compilation, so perhaps you won't have to.

Chris