View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
August 28, 2012
ARM?
Good day.
Would like to ask a question to the developers of the language:
Is the development of a compiler D under the ARM or is at least 
in the plans?
August 28, 2012
Re: ARM?
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 05:27:23 -0500, Shadow_exe <shadow_exe@ukr.net> wrote:

> Good day.
> Would like to ask a question to the developers of the language:
> Is the development of a compiler D under the ARM or is at least in the  
> plans?

The D specification states that 16bit or below will not be supported.
DMD is a nogo for ARM right now, so take a look at LDC or GDC

GDC https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC
This also has a bitbucket, which has nice compiling instructions.
https://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/wiki/Home

LDC is also on github, I trust you can find it.
I do not know anything about it's support.

I believe the old site(bitbucket gdc) has information on building on ARM,  
and for android specifically.
Mostly in the bug reports.

It'll most likely be a bit of work, but I believe there is precedent if  
you look.

-- 
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
August 28, 2012
Re: ARM?
On Tuesday, 28 August 2012 at 10:53:17 UTC, 1100110 wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 05:27:23 -0500, Shadow_exe 
> <shadow_exe@ukr.net> wrote:
>
> The D specification states that 16bit or below will not be 
> supported.
> DMD is a nogo for ARM right now, so take a look at LDC or GDC

But I think the ARM main processors are all 32 bit.

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/index.php

According the website: "The 32-bit ARM instruction set is based 
on RISC principles..."

And this is a good question since ARM is widely used. So I think 
Walter and other guys should take a closely look on it. (if they 
don't yet).
August 28, 2012
Re: ARM?
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 06:23:11 -0500, MattCoder <mattcoder@hotmail.com>  
wrote:

> On Tuesday, 28 August 2012 at 10:53:17 UTC, 1100110 wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 05:27:23 -0500, Shadow_exe <shadow_exe@ukr.net>  
>> wrote:
>>
>> The D specification states that 16bit or below will not be supported.
>> DMD is a nogo for ARM right now, so take a look at LDC or GDC
>
> But I think the ARM main processors are all 32 bit.
>
> http://www.arm.com/products/processors/index.php
>
> According the website: "The 32-bit ARM instruction set is based on RISC  
> principles..."
>
> And this is a good question since ARM is widely used. So I think Walter  
> and other guys should take a closely look on it. (if they don't yet).
>

I don't know a lot about the topic, so I thought I'd throw it out there  
and let people make of it what they will.

-- 
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
August 28, 2012
Re: ARM?
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 06:23:11 -0500, MattCoder <mattcoder@hotmail.com>  
wrote:

> On Tuesday, 28 August 2012 at 10:53:17 UTC, 1100110 wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 05:27:23 -0500, Shadow_exe <shadow_exe@ukr.net>  
>> wrote:
>>
>> The D specification states that 16bit or below will not be supported.
>> DMD is a nogo for ARM right now, so take a look at LDC or GDC
>
> But I think the ARM main processors are all 32 bit.
>
> http://www.arm.com/products/processors/index.php
>
> According the website: "The 32-bit ARM instruction set is based on RISC  
> principles..."
>
> And this is a good question since ARM is widely used. So I think Walter  
> and other guys should take a closely look on it. (if they don't yet).
>

Also I have no idea how old or out of date this is, but there might be  
some info.
https://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/wiki/GDC%20on%20Android
-- 
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
August 28, 2012
Re: ARM?
Al 28/08/12 12:27, En/na Shadow_exe ha escrit:
> Good day.
> Would like to ask a question to the developers of the language:
> Is the development of a compiler D under the ARM or is at least in the plans?
> 

GDC and LDC are both available for ARM processors on the last Debian stable.

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gdc
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/ldc

-- 
Jordi Sayol
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home