Thread overview
How to "stringnify"?
Oct 10
rempas
Oct 10
rempas
Oct 11
bauss
Oct 10
evilrat
Oct 10
rempas
October 10

Is there a way to "stringnify" in Dlang? In C we would do something like the following:

#define STRINGIFY(x) #x

What's the equivalent in D?

October 10

On Sunday, 10 October 2021 at 08:28:30 UTC, rempas wrote:

>

Is there a way to "stringnify" in Dlang? In C we would do something like the following:

#define STRINGIFY(x) #x

What's the equivalent in D?

For simple stuff you have .stringof

October 10

On Sunday, 10 October 2021 at 08:28:30 UTC, rempas wrote:

>

Is there a way to "stringnify" in Dlang? In C we would do something like the following:

#define STRINGIFY(x) #x

What's the equivalent in D?

That's probably depends on what you are trying to achieve.

If you want to write code-like string that looks like a code you can use token strings

https://dlang.org/spec/lex.html#token_strings

string code = q{
  float sqr(float x) { return x * x; }
};

For other symbols there is .stringof property (beware, it's behavior is not part of the spec)

https://dlang.org/spec/property.html#stringof

class MyClass()
{
  static this() {
    registerSmth(MyClass.stringof); // pass "MyClass" string
  }
}

And there is stuff for metaprogramming such like this in std.traits

https://dlang.org/phobos/std_traits.html#ParameterIdentifierTuple

October 10

On Sunday, 10 October 2021 at 08:48:21 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:

>

For simple stuff you have .stringof

Thanks!

October 10

On Sunday, 10 October 2021 at 08:54:55 UTC, evilrat wrote:

>

That's probably depends on what you are trying to achieve.

If you want to write code-like string that looks like a code you can use token strings

https://dlang.org/spec/lex.html#token_strings

string code = q{
  float sqr(float x) { return x * x; }
};

For other symbols there is .stringof property (beware, it's behavior is not part of the spec)

https://dlang.org/spec/property.html#stringof

class MyClass()
{
  static this() {
    registerSmth(MyClass.stringof); // pass "MyClass" string
  }
}

And there is stuff for metaprogramming such like this in std.traits

https://dlang.org/phobos/std_traits.html#ParameterIdentifierTuple

".stringof" will probably do the job! If not I will check "token_strings". Thanks a lot!

October 11

On Sunday, 10 October 2021 at 09:51:27 UTC, rempas wrote:

>

On Sunday, 10 October 2021 at 08:48:21 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:

>

For simple stuff you have .stringof

Thanks!

Just remember .stringof is not "literal" as in there are certain expression that won't return exactly what you're trying to "stringify" ex. aliases etc. will actually return what they're an alias of etc. there are many other exceptions too.

In general it will return just what you write, but not in all cases.