View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
August 01, 2012
Re: Incomprehensible compiler errors
On 08/01/2012 02:44 AM, Stuart wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 19:07:52 UTC, q66 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 17:16:56 UTC, Stuart wrote:
>>> Oh, now, that's going too far. Do you think I'm some kind of
>>> programming newbie? A college student, perhaps? I have a BSc in
>>> Software Engineering, and I've been coding for 16 years. So let's
>>> have less of the condescension, hmm?
>>
>> errr I meant this :)
>
> If I don't point out that I know something, I'm ignorant.
> And when I do, I'm a showoff. I can't win.
>

- Why would it be interesting to talk about whether someone 'knows
  something' or not? This is d.D.

- Why is it important whether or not some random guy on
  the internet thinks some statements are ignorant?

- Besides, the statement does not even make sense. Who would respond to
  something that was not posted?

> Maybe I should just give up on this "friendly and helpful community"
> I've heard so much about.

Why? It is friendly and helpful. Even more so if it is treated as such.
August 01, 2012
Re: Incomprehensible compiler errors
On Wednesday, 1 August 2012 at 01:10:30 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
> I've also been surprised by Bernard's exaggerated reaction. 
> Your vent was not the most unreasonable out there.

Mm. I just got really frustrated at not being able to use this 
interesting new language.

(Which, incidentally, I still cannot do because the (helpful, 
constructive) suggestions for compiling DFL or finding 
alternatives have not, in fact, worked.)

>> I can just fuck off if everyone would rather. After this 
>> blatant abuse -
>> which has gone unremarked, it seems - I'm seriously 
>> considering leaving.
>
> Are you threatening to leave an online forum? Now this is 
> exactly the kind of immature thing that won't help any.

Threatening? No. I was simply being honest. After that entirely 
undeserved attack, I was considering leaving the forum and giving 
up on D. Some people are trying to help me and are being 
constructive; but some have been complete pricks, and that's 
really not helping my enthusiasm for the project.
August 01, 2012
Re: Incomprehensible compiler errors
On Wednesday, 1 August 2012 at 01:12:37 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 08/01/2012 02:44 AM, Stuart wrote:
>> If I don't point out that I know something, I'm ignorant.
>> And when I do, I'm a showoff. I can't win.
>>
>
> - Why would it be interesting to talk about whether someone 
> 'knows something' or not? This is d.D.

I didn't say it was interesting. I was called ignorant, and it 
was implied that I was a programming newbie. So I pointed out 
that I was not. And then got a bunch of flak for that too.

> - Why is it important whether or not some random guy on
>   the internet thinks some statements are ignorant?

I assumed that most people who posted on this forum were relevant 
to the project. I mean, it's hardly a subject that should attract 
random trolls, I would've thought.

>> Maybe I should just give up on this "friendly and helpful 
>> community" I've heard so much about.
>
> Why? It is friendly and helpful. Even more so if it is treated 
> as such.

Some of it is, yes. But the ones who aren't are spoiling it 
somewhat. And as I say, I assumed everyone on this forum was 
either a dev or a user. I wasn't expecting drive-by trolling.

And yes, I may have been a little negative in this thread, but 
it's because I really found D interesting and wanted to use it; 
and discovered that I couldn't.
August 01, 2012
Re: Incomprehensible compiler errors
On Wednesday, 1 August 2012 at 00:44:56 UTC, Stuart wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 19:07:52 UTC, q66 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 17:16:56 UTC, Stuart wrote:
>>> Oh, now, that's going too far. Do you think I'm some kind of 
>>> programming newbie? A college student, perhaps? I have a BSc 
>>> in Software Engineering, and I've been coding for 16 years. 
>>> So let's have less of the condescension, hmm?
>>
>> errr I meant this :)
>
> If I don't point out that I know something, I'm ignorant. And 
> when I do, I'm a showoff. I can't win.
>
> Maybe I should just give up on this "friendly and helpful 
> community" I've heard so much about.

You are ignorant, no matter whether you have a BSc in software 
engineering or not; you've had enough chances to prove that you 
are. Also, maybe you should - I don't think anybody really gives 
a fuck.
August 01, 2012
Re: Incomprehensible compiler errors
On Wednesday, 1 August 2012 at 01:10:30 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
> On 7/31/12 8:48 PM, Stuart wrote:
>> I notice nobody else at all has objected to my being told to 
>> fuck off
>> and stop wasting people's time. I guess it's okay for people 
>> to talk to
>> me like that, yes?
>
> I've also been surprised by Bernard's exaggerated reaction. 
> Your vent was not the most unreasonable out there. This is an 
> unmoderated newsgroup and although personal attacks do happen, 
> they are very rare.
>
>> I can just fuck off if everyone would rather. After this 
>> blatant abuse -
>> which has gone unremarked, it seems - I'm seriously 
>> considering leaving.
>
> Are you threatening to leave an online forum? Now this is 
> exactly the kind of immature thing that won't help any. No, 
> personal attacks are not welcome here, but you needn't have an 
> emotional answer to a head hotter than yours.
>
>
> Andrei

Bernard's reaction was entirely reasonable, spewing ignorant 
bullshit all around and then being like "hurr durr i have a bsc 
from software engineering, no wai" deserves no better.
August 01, 2012
Re: Incomprehensible compiler errors
> Bernard's reaction was entirely reasonable, spewing ignorant 
> bullshit all around and then being like "hurr durr i have a bsc 
> from software engineering, no wai" deserves no better.

By the way, he's only proving what I said with these "hurrr I'm 
gonna leave" responses (not that it wasn't apparent before). With 
this attitude, I can say only one thing: "fuck off faggot"
August 01, 2012
Re: Incomprehensible compiler errors
On 8/1/12, Stuart <stugol@gmx.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 19:05:07 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>>
>> I've had some success with using DGui, which seems to be
>> loosely based
>> on DFL. http://code.google.com/p/dgui/
>
> I can't find any trace of documentation on that site.
>

The docs can be generated via the compiler (it comes with a batch
script that does that). But if you want a stable GUI library GtkD is
probably your best bet.
August 01, 2012
Re: Incomprehensible compiler errors
On 7/31/12 9:39 PM, q66 wrote:
>> Bernard's reaction was entirely reasonable, spewing ignorant bullshit
>> all around and then being like "hurr durr i have a bsc from software
>> engineering, no wai" deserves no better.
>
> By the way, he's only proving what I said with these "hurrr I'm gonna
> leave" responses (not that it wasn't apparent before). With this
> attitude, I can say only one thing: "fuck off faggot"

No reaction that strong is reasonable, regardless of context. It's not a 
civilized response to anything. Probably this meta-talk has long run its 
course. We're one Hitler mention away from complete mayhem :o).

All - please, let's stay civil. It's obvious this is helping no one and 
nothing. Let's keep this forum focused on interesting technical topics 
as it's always been. Freedom of word is most liberating when used 
judiciously.


Thanks much,

Andrei
August 01, 2012
Re: Incomprehensible compiler errors
On 7/31/2012 10:35 AM, Stuart wrote:
> Agreed. I don't know if I can help much - I'm not an expert on low-level things
> like compilers and such, and I do my best work in .NET; but there may be
> something I can do. Maybe write a better IDE, with intellisense, I dunno. It'd
> have to be .NET based.

Any help you can give will be most appreciated by the D community.
August 01, 2012
Re: Incomprehensible compiler errors
On 08/01/2012 03:27 AM, Stuart wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 August 2012 at 01:12:37 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> On 08/01/2012 02:44 AM, Stuart wrote:
>>> If I don't point out that I know something, I'm ignorant.
>>> And when I do, I'm a showoff. I can't win.
>>>
>>
>> - Why would it be interesting to talk about whether someone 'knows
>> something' or not? This is d.D.
>
> I didn't say it was interesting. I was called ignorant,

Some of your statements were called like that. Those certainly were
irrelevant to the topic.

> and it was implied that I was a programming newbie.

A D newcomer.

> ...
>>> Maybe I should just give up on this "friendly and helpful community"
>>> I've heard so much about.
>>
>> Why? It is friendly and helpful. Even more so if it is treated as such.
>
> Some of it is, yes.  But the ones who aren't are spoiling it somewhat.

Joining the former group would be a good start to making the latter
group significantly smaller.

> And as I say, I assumed everyone on this forum was either a dev or a
> user. I wasn't expecting drive-by trolling.
>
> And yes, I may have been a little negative in this thread,

That is an understatement.

> but it's  because I really found D interesting and wanted to use it; and
> discovered that I couldn't.
>

Your best bet is to ask politely and to keep the question short and to 
the point. Also, pushing the blame away is inflammatory and irrelevant,
so discussing whom is to blame can be omitted. Meta-discussions like
this one can be omitted just as well. They serve no purpose other than
avoiding meta-discussions in the future.
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home