zjh
May 13, 2022
Johan
May 13, 2022
H. S. Teoh
May 14, 2022
forkit
May 12, 2022
I am considering proposing a presentation for DConf 2022.

Would a "Back to Basics" style presentation be interesting? If, so what exact topic would you like to see?

For ideas, here is what CppCon 2021 had on their track:

https://cppcon2021.sched.com/?searchstring=Back+to+Basics

Ali
May 13, 2022
On Thursday, 12 May 2022 at 21:58:33 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> I am considering proposing a presentation for DConf 2022.
>
> Would a "Back to Basics" style presentation be interesting? If, so what exact topic would you like to see?
>
> For ideas, here is what CppCon 2021 had on their track:
>
>   https://cppcon2021.sched.com/?searchstring=Back+to+Basics
>
> Ali

So...you want to do a talk that challenges D's complexity, by getting back to basics?

I'm afraid the ship has sailed :-(

May 13, 2022
On Thursday, 12 May 2022 at 21:58:33 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> I am considering proposing a presentation for DConf 2022.
>
> Would a "Back to Basics" style presentation be interesting? If, so what exact topic would you like to see?
>

There was a book from my childhood. Its name is "Temel Basic", here it is https://www.nadirkitap.com/temel-basic-guzin-sagkan-tunc-gercek-kitap10256791.html

The interesting thing is that the meaning of the Turkish word (Temel) and the name of the language (Basic) are the same. In other words, one is Turkish, the other is English, but in the same place and in a different sense.

In summary, the basics are good. I don't like dependence at all. Simple things are beautiful...:)

SDB@79

May 12, 2022
On 5/12/22 18:56, forkit wrote:

> So...you want to do a talk that challenges D's complexity, by getting
> back to basics?

I wasn't thinking about challenging complexity but it gives me ideas.

I am looking for concrete topics like templates, classes, ranges, rvalues, etc. Are those interesting?

Ali

May 13, 2022

On Friday, 13 May 2022 at 03:31:53 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:

>

>

So...you want to do a talk that challenges D's complexity, by
getting
back to basics?

I am looking for concrete topics like templates, classes, ranges, rvalues, etc. Are those interesting?

I suggest: patterns for @nogc allocation and where D is going with move semantics and reference counting.

Basically, where is D heading with @nogc?

Take each pattern from c++ and Rust and show the D counter part, with an objective analysis that covers pitfalls and areas that need more work.

May 13, 2022

On Friday, 13 May 2022 at 04:19:26 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

>

>

>

getting
back to basics?

I suggest: patterns for @nogc allocation and where D is going with move semantics and reference counting.

Take each pattern from c++ and Rust and show the D counter part, with an objective analysis that covers pitfalls and areas that need more work.

I feel that it'd be best if any video discussion/talk about move semantics happens after DIP 1040 is merged/rejected, so that the video doesn't become irrelevan after only a few years.

May 13, 2022

>

>

getting
back to basics?

Ali

DIP 1000 would be a good start :P

Or a presentation on ranges can also be good, considering how the de facto best online article on it(by HS Teoh) is from 2013

May 12, 2022
On 5/12/22 21:41, Tejas wrote:

> Or a presentation on ranges can also be good, considering how the de
> facto best online article on it(by HS Teoh) is from 2013

I think the best person to give that presentation would be its awesome author. ;)

Ali

May 13, 2022

On Friday, 13 May 2022 at 04:39:46 UTC, Tejas wrote:

>

On Friday, 13 May 2022 at 04:19:26 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

>

>

>

getting
back to basics?

I feel that it'd be best if any video discussion/talk about move semantics happens after DIP 1040 is merged/rejected, so that the video doesn't become irrelevan after only a few years.

I think the purpose of conferences is to assess the current state and be forward looking. After 14 months I would expect Walter to know if it is going to be put to rest or not, so just email him I guess?

May 13, 2022
> On 5/12/22 18:56, forkit wrote:
>
> > So...you want to do a talk that challenges D's complexity, by
> getting
> > back to basics?
>
> I wasn't thinking about challenging complexity but it gives me ideas.
>
> I am looking for concrete topics like templates, classes, ranges, rvalues, etc. Are those interesting?
>
> Ali

Perhaps those are a little too basic for your intended audience (which is?)

My first objective when searching for a path towards a solution for a problem, is setting out to find valid methods to solve that problem, and then chosing the best method (based on whatever criteria is appropriate at the time).

So, perhaps a talk that focuses on comparing different methods for solving common computational tasks (e.g. search and decision problems), might be more valuable to your audience.
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2