View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
January 30, 2012
Why not allow people to submit name:url associations for dman?
I've found myself using dman more than I thought I would, but it 
is a little annoying when it fails to find a page and I navigate 
to it manually -- I wouldn't mind if I could improve dman for the 
next release.

Perhaps a text file on GitHub we could submit pull requests to?

Thanks,
-Bernard.
January 30, 2012
Re: Why not allow people to submit name:url associations for dman?
On 1/30/2012 12:04 AM, Bernard Helyer wrote:
> I've found myself using dman more than I thought I would, but it is a little
> annoying when it fails to find a page and I navigate to it manually -- I
> wouldn't mind if I could improve dman for the next release.
>
> Perhaps a text file on GitHub we could submit pull requests to?

I decided against a text file that dman reads because, inevitably, people will 
have problems with dman not finding that file, or finding the wrong one, etc. I 
thought it would be more bulletproof if it was a standalone executable.

Definitely its internal database, though, is too small.

Eventually, it should have everything in it that has an html anchor name on the 
web site.
January 31, 2012
Re: Why not allow people to submit name:url associations for dman?
On Monday, 30 January 2012 at 11:12:36 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/30/2012 12:04 AM, Bernard Helyer wrote:
>> I've found myself using dman more than I thought I would, but 
>> it is a little
>> annoying when it fails to find a page and I navigate to it 
>> manually -- I
>> wouldn't mind if I could improve dman for the next release.
>>
>> Perhaps a text file on GitHub we could submit pull requests to?
>
> I decided against a text file that dman reads because, 
> inevitably, people will have problems with dman not finding 
> that file, or finding the wrong one, etc. I thought it would be 
> more bulletproof if it was a standalone executable.
>
> Definitely its internal database, though, is too small.
>
> Eventually, it should have everything in it that has an html 
> anchor name on the web site.

Couldn't it be a text file that is compiled in with import()? Or 
a d file with a single function containing add(name, url); for 
each entry. Some stand alone and easy to read/edit.
February 01, 2012
Re: Why not allow people to submit name:url associations for dman?
On 1/31/2012 8:19 AM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> Couldn't it be a text file that is compiled in with import()? Or a d file with a
> single function containing add(name, url); for each entry. Some stand alone and
> easy to read/edit.

It already does that to some extent.
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home