Jump to page: 1 2
Thread overview
DConf 2018 Call for Submissions
6 days ago
Mike Parker
6 days ago
Mike Parker
6 days ago
Joakim
6 days ago
Mike Parker
4 days ago
codephantom
4 days ago
codephantom
4 days ago
Ali Çehreli
4 days ago
codephantom
4 days ago
Mike James
4 days ago
Ali Çehreli
3 days ago
codephantom
6 days ago
The time to start preparing submissions for DConf 2018 has come! The event is scheduled for May 2-5 in Munich, Germany. As with the 2017 edition, three days of talks are planned, followed by a Hackathon on the last day.

Deadline details can be found on the DConf home page [1]. As a bonus, Andrei did a brief interview for the D Blog [2], where he explains how we wound up in Munich this time around and what to expect.

[1] https://dconf.org/2018/index.html
[2] https://dlang.org/blog/2017/11/14/dconf-2018-assemblage-in-bavaria/

Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/7cvsi3/dconf_2018_call_for_submissions_interview_with/
6 days ago
> Reddit:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/7cvsi3/dconf_2018_call_for_submissions_interview_with/

I've also submitted it to Hacker News.

https://news.ycombinator.com/newest


6 days ago
On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 at 14:07:51 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> The time to start preparing submissions for DConf 2018 has come! The event is scheduled for May 2-5 in Munich, Germany. As with the 2017 edition, three days of talks are planned, followed by a Hackathon on the last day.
>
> Deadline details can be found on the DConf home page [1]. As a bonus, Andrei did a brief interview for the D Blog [2], where he explains how we wound up in Munich this time around and what to expect.
>
> [1] https://dconf.org/2018/index.html
> [2] https://dlang.org/blog/2017/11/14/dconf-2018-assemblage-in-bavaria/
>
> Reddit:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/7cvsi3/dconf_2018_call_for_submissions_interview_with/

Typo in blog post, procrastanate -> procrastinate.
6 days ago
On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 at 14:26:41 UTC, Joakim wrote:

>
> Typo in blog post, procrastanate -> procrastinate.

Thanks!
4 days ago
On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 at 14:07:51 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> The time to start preparing submissions for DConf 2018 has come! The event is scheduled for May 2-5 in Munich, Germany. As with the 2017 edition, three days of talks are planned, followed by a Hackathon on the last day.
>

Would love to hear someone talk about o/s kernel development in D, and their experiences/thoughts about how D helps/hinders development of that kind.

e.g:

https://github.com/PowerNex/PowerNex

4 days ago
On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 at 14:07:51 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> The time to start preparing submissions for DConf 2018 has come! The event is scheduled for May 2-5 in Munich, Germany. As with the 2017 edition, three days of talks are planned, followed by a Hackathon on the last day.
>

my useless advice to those speaking at the conference...

please...no fanboy talks ..like that which comes out of google, about go.

no multicolored, fluffy toys on stage, that makes me feel like i'm in kindergarden (i'm just gunna puke!).

A willingness to be critical...will gain peoples attention, will encourage people to find solutions, and will help D evolve.

First 5 minutes...get me there, or you'll lose me.

Be prepared to ignore everything I just said...but at your own peril ;-)

4 days ago
On 11/15/2017 03:44 PM, codephantom wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 at 14:07:51 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> The time to start preparing submissions for DConf 2018 has come! The
>> event is scheduled for May 2-5 in Munich, Germany. As with the 2017
>> edition, three days of talks are planned, followed by a Hackathon on
>> the last day.
>>
>
> my useless advice to those speaking at the conference...
>
> please...no fanboy talks ..like that which comes out of google, about go.

I don't think DConf fits that description. (Past DConf presentations are all recorded and should be available online e.g. at YouTube.)

> no multicolored, fluffy toys on stage, that makes me feel like i'm in
> kindergarden (i'm just gunna puke!).

Of course nothing of that sort but you have to tolerate emcee Dylan's purple outfit, especially the shoes! :o)

> A willingness to be critical...

There has been many experience reports where D's shortcomings, bugs, etc. were reported but they were almost always followed with something like "we couldn't have done any of this without D." :)

> Be prepared to ignore everything I just said...but at your own peril ;-)

Good advice... Can't wait for your presentation... ;)

Ali

4 days ago
On Wednesday, 15 November 2017 at 23:53:40 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
>
> Of course nothing of that sort but you have to tolerate emcee Dylan's purple outfit, especially the shoes! :o)
>

There's a purple beast in Dylan, just dying to get out...


> Good advice... Can't wait for your presentation... ;)

Sadly, if I gave a talk, after the first 5 minutes, there'd be nobody left to listen ;-)

I would like to see Chuck Allison talk about the experiences of students approaching D. I think that would be really worthwhile - or even yourself for that matter, given your strong interest in this area. Technical stuff is good and helpful, but I like to know about peoples experiences too...that's what really interests me the most, and should be at the core of any language design. So somebody examining D from this perspective could be really insightful to those contributing to the language.

It's really critical that D remain accessible to newcomers, or its' replacement is just around the corner.

4 days ago
On Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 00:45:58 UTC, codephantom wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 November 2017 at 23:53:40 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
<snip>
> I would like to see Chuck Allison talk about the experiences of students approaching D. I think that would be really worthwhile - or even yourself for that matter, given your strong interest in this area. Technical stuff is good and helpful, but I like to know about peoples experiences too...that's what really interests me the most, and should be at the core of any language design. So somebody examining D from this perspective could be really insightful to those contributing to the language.
>
> It's really critical that D remain accessible to newcomers, or its' replacement is just around the corner.

Chucks already done a talk like that - it was berry, berry good...

-=mike=-
4 days ago
On 11/16/2017 12:20 AM, Mike James wrote:
> On Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 00:45:58 UTC, codephantom wrote:

>> I would like to see Chuck Allison talk about the experiences of students approaching D.

> Chucks already done a talk like that - it was berry, berry good...

For convenience, two talks by Chuck:

  http://dconf.org/2014/talks/allison.html

  http://dconf.org/2015/talks/allison.html

and one by one of his students:

  http://dconf.org/2015/talks/gubler.html

Ali
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2