Thread overview
For.Bin or.Exe files, how does a linker generate line numbers in debug information?
Jun 17
moecmks
Jun 17
moecmks
June 17
I come from China, my English is not very high. Please forgive me.

First provide the context

@:debugger,IDA 6.8
@:this is my source file <hello.d>, only this one.

import std.stdio;

void main () {

  writeln ("Hello World");
}

I've found that for.Obj, using the -c -debug -gc -m32 command always generates line number information that is seen by the debugger

However, as long as the connection is exe or bin, the debugger can only see variable symbols, but no line numbers can be seen,I don't know if I've done anything wrong 0_0

this is my linker's command:$(LINK) /CO:4/DEBUG /CODEVIEW /DEBUGLINES /DEBUGMODULES:$(OBJPATH)\hello.obj $(OBJPATH)\hello.obj







June 17

On 17.06.2017 04:17, moecmks wrote:
> I come from China, my English is not very high. Please forgive me.
> 
> First provide the context
> 
> @:debugger,IDA 6.8
> @:this is my source file <hello.d>, only this one.
> 
> import std.stdio;
> 
> void main () {
> 
>    writeln ("Hello World");
> }
> 
> I've found that for.Obj, using the -c -debug -gc -m32 command always generates line number information that is seen by the debugger
> 
> However, as long as the connection is exe or bin, the debugger can only see variable symbols, but no line numbers can be seen,I don't know if I've done anything wrong 0_0
> 
> this is my linker's command:$(LINK) /CO:4/DEBUG /CODEVIEW /DEBUGLINES /DEBUGMODULES:$(OBJPATH)\hello.obj $(OBJPATH)\hello.obj

The debug information emitted by compiling with -m32 follows a very old CodeView 4 specification that isn't well understood by current debuggers.

With cv2pdb (https://github.com/rainers/cv2pdb/releases) you can convert this debug information into a PDB file following newer standards but you'll need some components from the Microsoft tool chain to execute it.

Alternatively you can compile with -m32mscoff or -m64 that will use the Microsoft linker and the MS C runtime. This will generate a PDB file directly.
June 17
On Saturday, 17 June 2017 at 12:05:31 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>
>
> On 17.06.2017 04:17, moecmks wrote:
>> I come from China, my English is not very high. Please forgive me.
>> 
>> First provide the context
>> 
>> @:debugger,IDA 6.8
>> @:this is my source file <hello.d>, only this one.
>> 
>> import std.stdio;
>> 
>> void main () {
>> 
>>    writeln ("Hello World");
>> }
>> 
>> I've found that for.Obj, using the -c -debug -gc -m32 command always generates line number information that is seen by the debugger
>> 
>> However, as long as the connection is exe or bin, the debugger can only see variable symbols, but no line numbers can be seen,I don't know if I've done anything wrong 0_0
>> 
>> this is my linker's command:$(LINK) /CO:4/DEBUG /CODEVIEW /DEBUGLINES /DEBUGMODULES:$(OBJPATH)\hello.obj $(OBJPATH)\hello.obj
>
> The debug information emitted by compiling with -m32 follows a very old CodeView 4 specification that isn't well understood by current debuggers.
>
> With cv2pdb (https://github.com/rainers/cv2pdb/releases) you can convert this debug information into a PDB file following newer standards but you'll need some components from the Microsoft tool chain to execute it.
>
> Alternatively you can compile with -m32mscoff or -m64 that will use the Microsoft linker and the MS C runtime. This will generate a PDB file directly.

You are powerful!. Your bin file, because of the Chinese GFW relationship, I can't download it, but I can download the source code! Because I used VS2012 to compile your code.
There are two major errors that can not be compiled
@1:Syntax errors during compilation
@ for partial structure construction, grammatical errors are reported
If (at = = DW_AT_data_member_location) {
Stack[stackDepth++] = Location (Location:: Abs, 0, 0);
}
@2:Symbolic parsing during link
@decodeLocation, interpretDWARFLines, and so on functions are not implemented
@ I went to your project's Github repository, searched for these functions, added several.Cpp files added to the VS project, entered, compiled successfully, and then cv2pdb, some, EXE, and got the pdb file
Then I used IDA to load the PDB file and found that not only can I see the debug line number, but also the specific source code, which is exactly what I want.

You've got my attention, great programmer!
I hope I can ask you some questions later 0_0
June 18

On 17.06.2017 16:04, moecmks wrote:
> Because I used VS2012 to compile your code.
> There are two major errors that can not be compiled
> @1:Syntax errors during compilation
> @ for partial structure construction, grammatical errors are reported
> If (at = = DW_AT_data_member_location) {
> Stack[stackDepth++] = Location (Location:: Abs, 0, 0);
> }
> @2:Symbolic parsing during link
> @decodeLocation, interpretDWARFLines, and so on functions are not implemented

The older project files are no longer maintained, I'm usually compiling with VS2013.

> @ I went to your project's Github repository, searched for these functions, added several.Cpp files added to the VS project, entered, compiled successfully, and then cv2pdb, some, EXE, and got the pdb file
> Then I used IDA to load the PDB file and found that not only can I see the debug line number, but also the specific source code, which is exactly what I want.

I hope I've fixed these files in the repository now, too. I cannot try it, though, as I don't have VS2012 installed anymore.


> You've got my attention, great programmer!
> I hope I can ask you some questions later 0_0

You're welcome.