View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
June 17, 2012
readText fails to open file
This is kind of silly, and I probably missed something, but for 
some reason I can't get any kind of text file opened when using 
readText from std.file. This is what I'm trying to do:

  import std.stdio;
  import std.file;

  int main(string[] args)
  {
      if (!isFile(args[0]))
      {
          writeln("Error: Input file does not exist or is not a 
valid file!");
          return 1;
      }

      auto LTFFile = chomp(readText(args[0]));

      readln();
      return 0;
  }

Nice and simple, right? So I execute it:

  > ./LTF2LIP LTF2LIP.d
  std.utf.UTFException@std/utf.d(645): Invalid UTF-8 sequence (at 
index 1)

And I'm sure that the file is in UTF-8, with LF line endings, 
without a BOM. The same error is thrown when I try any other kind 
of files. So what gives?..
June 17, 2012
Re: readText fails to open file
On 17.06.2012 12:21, GreatEmerald wrote:
> This is kind of silly, and I probably missed something, but for some
> reason I can't get any kind of text file opened when using readText from
> std.file. This is what I'm trying to do:
>
> import std.stdio;
> import std.file;
>
> int main(string[] args)
> {
> if (!isFile(args[0]))
> {
> writeln("Error: Input file does not exist or is not a valid file!");
> return 1;
> }
>
> auto LTFFile = chomp(readText(args[0]));
>
> readln();
> return 0;
> }
>
> Nice and simple, right? So I execute it:
>
>  > ./LTF2LIP LTF2LIP.d
> std.utf.UTFException@std/utf.d(645): Invalid UTF-8 sequence (at index 1)
>

It's a BOM most likely. There has been talk on making readText work with 
them.
I'm not sure how you'd check there is no BOM, most text editors will 
hide it. Hex editor may help though.

> And I'm sure that the file is in UTF-8, with LF line endings, without a
> BOM. The same error is thrown when I try any other kind of files. So
> what gives?..

Other then this try cast(string)read(args[0]); it's not any worse.

-- 
Dmitry Olshansky
June 17, 2012
Re: readText fails to open file
On 06/17/2012 01:21 AM, GreatEmerald wrote:
> This is kind of silly, and I probably missed something, but for some
> reason I can't get any kind of text file opened when using readText from
> std.file. This is what I'm trying to do:
>
> import std.stdio;
> import std.file;
>
> int main(string[] args)
> {
> if (!isFile(args[0]))
> {
> writeln("Error: Input file does not exist or is not a valid file!");
> return 1;
> }
>
> auto LTFFile = chomp(readText(args[0]));
>
> readln();
> return 0;
> }
>
> Nice and simple, right? So I execute it:
>
>  > ./LTF2LIP LTF2LIP.d
> std.utf.UTFException@std/utf.d(645): Invalid UTF-8 sequence (at index 1)
>
> And I'm sure that the file is in UTF-8, with LF line endings, without a
> BOM. The same error is thrown when I try any other kind of files. So
> what gives?..

Try args[1]. Your compiled program is surely not UTF-8. ;)

-- 
D Programming Language Tutorial: http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html
June 17, 2012
Re: readText fails to open file
Oh, I just figured out what was going wrong. Apparently, args[0] 
is the path to the program itself, and not the first argument. 
args[1] is what I need to start reading from!
June 17, 2012
Re: readText fails to open file
On Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:21:17 GreatEmerald wrote:
> This is kind of silly, and I probably missed something, but for
> some reason I can't get any kind of text file opened when using
> readText from std.file. This is what I'm trying to do:
> 
>    import std.stdio;
>    import std.file;
> 
>    int main(string[] args)
>    {
>        if (!isFile(args[0]))
>        {
>            writeln("Error: Input file does not exist or is not a
> valid file!");
>            return 1;
>        }
> 
>        auto LTFFile = chomp(readText(args[0]));
> 
>        readln();
>        return 0;
>    }
> 
> Nice and simple, right? So I execute it:
>    > ./LTF2LIP LTF2LIP.d
> 
>    std.utf.UTFException@std/utf.d(645): Invalid UTF-8 sequence (at
> index 1)
> 
> And I'm sure that the file is in UTF-8, with LF line endings,
> without a BOM. The same error is thrown when I try any other kind
> of files. So what gives?..

LOL. You're reading the wrong file. You have made the common mistake of 
thinking that args[0] was the first argument that you passed to your program. 
It's not. It's the name of your program. In this case, it would be 
"./LTF2LIP". It's args[1] which is "LTF2LIP.d".

Also, you need to check exists before you check isFile, otherwise isFile will 
blow up if the file doesn't exst. And both of those are properties, so you 
should be calling them like

auto filename = args[1];

if(!filename.exists || !filename.isFile)
   ...

The -property flag enforces this behavior, and it will eventually become the 
normal compiler behavior.

- Jonathan M Davis
June 17, 2012
Re: readText fails to open file
On Sunday, 17 June 2012 at 08:35:58 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> Also, you need to check exists before you check isFile, 
> otherwise isFile will
> blow up if the file doesn't exst. And both of those are 
> properties, so you
> should be calling them like
>
> auto filename = args[1];
>
> if(!filename.exists || !filename.isFile)
>     ...
>
> The -property flag enforces this behavior, and it will 
> eventually become the
> normal compiler behavior.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Oh, I see, thanks!
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home