August 27, 2015
On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 20:52:42 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 8/27/15 2:03 PM, Colin wrote:
>> On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 16:01:54 UTC, BBasile wrote:
>>> On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>> [...]
>>>
>>> That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different culture,
>>> past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in USA, past 50 yo
>>> some people still take the risk to try something new. Awesome.
>>
>> Andrei is past 50? Doesn't look it!
>
> He ain't that old :)
>
> http://erdani.com/index.php/about/
>
> "Born in 1969"
>
> -Steve

Sorry, for some reason this is not the best of me i'm showing tonigth...Maybe it'll be better when talking about a PR or anything else...See ya later.
August 28, 2015
On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>
> Following an increasing desire to focus on working on the D language and foundation, I have recently made the difficult decision to part ways with Facebook, my employer of five years and nine months.
>
> [...]

Awesome.  I wish I could join you.  :)  Maybe in time.

How do we donate?  Is there a mechanism to maybe do reoccurring donations via PayPal?
August 28, 2015
> On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>>
>> Following an increasing desire to focus on working on the D language and foundation, I have recently made the difficult decision to part ways with Facebook, my employer of five years and nine months.
>>
>> [...]

I hope you don't mind, but I guess it is public info now, and news has a greater impact when fresh:

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/3ioy9b/andrei_alexandrescu_c_guru_leaves_facebook_to/
August 28, 2015
On Friday, 28 August 2015 at 05:33:41 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>>
>>> Following an increasing desire to focus on working on the D language and foundation, I have recently made the difficult decision to part ways with Facebook, my employer of five years and nine months.
>>>
>>> [...]
>
> I hope you don't mind, but I guess it is public info now, and news has a greater impact when fresh:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/3ioy9b/andrei_alexandrescu_c_guru_leaves_facebook_tl

It's blowing up on reddit so please chip in to answer questions about the language if you have time.


August 28, 2015
On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Following an increasing desire to focus on working on the D language and foundation, I have recently made the difficult decision to part ways with Facebook, my employer of five years and nine months.
> Andrei

You are precious asset for D community.
August 28, 2015
On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 20:52:42 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 8/27/15 2:03 PM, Colin wrote:
>> On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 16:01:54 UTC, BBasile wrote:
>>> On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>> [...]
>>>
>>> That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different culture,
>>> past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in USA, past 50 yo
>>> some people still take the risk to try something new. Awesome.
>>
>> Andrei is past 50? Doesn't look it!
>
> He ain't that old :)
>
> http://erdani.com/index.php/about/
>
> "Born in 1969"
>
> -Steve

Who said you have to be in your twenties to rock 'n' roll? Look at J.J. Cale, he was in his thirties when he became famous and he said he could avoid many mistakes people make when they're young and foolish. After all, that's what D is about, mature but not complacent.
August 28, 2015
On Thu, 2015-08-27 at 16:01 +0000, BBasile via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> […]
> 
> That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different culture, past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in USA, past 50 yo some people still take the risk to try something new. Awesome.

I say "bollocks" to your accusation that Europeans post 50 are a bunch of useless idiots.

I call double "bollocks" on the claim that only in the USA do people do anything.

-- 
Russel.
=============================================================================
Dr Russel Winder     t:+44 20 7585 2200   voip:sip:
russel.winder@ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road   m:+44 7770 465 077   xmpp:russel@winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK  w: www.russel.org.uk skype:russel_winder



August 28, 2015
On Thu, 2015-08-27 at 16:52 -0400, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d- announce wrote:
> 
[…]
> He ain't that old :)
> 
> http://erdani.com/index.php/about/
> 
> "Born in 1969"

A youngster then.

-- 
Russel.
=============================================================================
Dr Russel Winder     t:+44 20 7585 2200   voip:sip:
russel.winder@ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road   m:+44 7770 465 077   xmpp:russel@winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK  w: www.russel.org.uk skype:russel_winder



August 28, 2015
On Friday, 28 August 2015 at 12:28:43 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-08-27 at 16:01 +0000, BBasile via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> […]
>> 
>> That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different culture, past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in USA, past 50 yo some people still take the risk to try something new. Awesome.
>
> I say "bollocks" to your accusation that Europeans post 50 are a bunch of useless idiots.
>
> I call double "bollocks" on the claim that only in the USA do people do anything.

I agree (I think it's the first time I agree with you!). Age is a state of mind. I've seen people in their 20ies who only think about a pension plan and watch TV every evening until they fall asleep.

The thing is that in Europe people are not "lazier", it's just harder to get going. You are fighting against structures that have been there since the Middle Ages (or longer). I don't know about the US, but in the "New World" (we stole from the inhabitants for whom it was an old world) there are indeed more possibilities. In Europe they regulate the ordinary citizen to death, often it's not worth the hassle.
August 28, 2015
On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>
> Following an increasing desire to focus on working on the D language and foundation, I have recently made the difficult decision to part ways with Facebook, my employer of five years and nine months.
>
> [...]

Awesome!!!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11