Thread overview
Reflection on the book D web development.
5 days ago
Alaindevos
5 days ago
CraigDillabaugh
4 days ago
aberba
4 days ago
Alaindevos
2 days ago
bachmeier
5 hours ago
Alaindevos
3 hours ago
bachmeier
5 days ago
I bought the book "D Web Development".
I understand only 20% of the book,the other 80% is way above my head.
Compare, I own a book on flask development, and I understand 100% of it.
Which means I can use dlang for anything except QT and serious web development ...
5 days ago
On Friday, 20 November 2020 at 19:12:38 UTC, Alaindevos wrote:
> I bought the book "D Web Development".
> I understand only 20% of the book,the other 80% is way above my head.
> Compare, I own a book on flask development, and I understand 100% of it.
> Which means I can use dlang for anything except QT and serious web development ...

Could you explain some of the things that you found particularly challenging about the book?   What level of D proficiency did you have before you started with the book?
4 days ago
On Friday, 20 November 2020 at 19:12:38 UTC, Alaindevos wrote:
> I bought the book "D Web Development".
> I understand only 20% of the book,the other 80% is way above my head.
> Compare, I own a book on flask development, and I understand 100% of it.
> Which means I can use dlang for anything except QT and serious web development ...

How would you like this to be improved? I'm personally interested in making vibe.d more accessible.


4 days ago
It's not my related to a lack of knowledge of the d-language but the complexity of the vibe.d framework itself.
What I understand are :
1: jade/diet .dt templates, inheritance,includes,markdown.
2: A simple form with POST method.
Then it stops.
What I find too complex:
- Sessions, session data , session variables
- Handler functions and delegates, compile-time reflection, prefixes, annotation.
- Authentication
- Validating user input
This can be improved by improving documentation in very small steps.

As comparison here a tutorial of ruby-flask which uses only small steps so everything can easily and completely be understood.
Something like that for vibe.d would be very interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mwFC4SHY-Y
2 days ago
On Saturday, 21 November 2020 at 16:18:39 UTC, Alaindevos wrote:
> It's not my related to a lack of knowledge of the d-language but the complexity of the vibe.d framework itself.
> What I understand are :
> 1: jade/diet .dt templates, inheritance,includes,markdown.
> 2: A simple form with POST method.
> Then it stops.
> What I find too complex:
> - Sessions, session data , session variables
> - Handler functions and delegates, compile-time reflection, prefixes, annotation.
> - Authentication
> - Validating user input
> This can be improved by improving documentation in very small steps.
>
> As comparison here a tutorial of ruby-flask which uses only small steps so everything can easily and completely be understood.
> Something like that for vibe.d would be very interesting.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mwFC4SHY-Y

May or may not be related, but I eventually gave up on that book myself. It felt as if it were written for experienced web developers wanting to use D for things they were doing in other languages. It's been a long time now, though, so I don't recall anything specific.
5 hours ago
hunt-http has no documentation and does not looks usable to me.
What looks usable is kemal & the crystal language,
https://kemalcr.com/guide/
3 hours ago
On Wednesday, 25 November 2020 at 17:26:44 UTC, Alaindevos wrote:
> hunt-http has no documentation and does not looks usable to me.
> What looks usable is kemal & the crystal language,
> https://kemalcr.com/guide/

Looks like Sinatra. That makes sense given the relationship of Crystal to Ruby. Many languages have a Sinatra-inspired framework, but to my knowledge not D. I think Adam Ruppe's libraries are closer to that approach.