Thread overview
Why is this valued zeroed?
Jan 11
Marc
Jan 12
Marc
January 11
I stuck at this and can't figure out the reason why the value of the variable ds is 0 when I do this: startTime = MonoTime.currTime; if I remove that statement, the value of ds isn't zeroed, it has the actual number of seconds. But I can't figure out, ds is of integer type and such, it is copied, right? or is this related to the fact I'm setting it withi a callback function?

here's the piece of code:
> import std.net.curl;
> auto http = HTTP(url);
> http.method = HTTP.Method.get;
...
the relevant part:

>	http.onProgress = (size_t dltotal, size_t dlnow,
>	                   size_t ultotal, size_t ulnow) {
>	    if(dlNow > 0) {
>    		MonoTime endTime = MonoTime.currTime;
>    		Duration duration = endTime - startTime;
>		long ds = duration.total!"seconds";
>		writeln("duration!seconds  = ", ds);
>		startTime = MonoTime.currTime;

if I put startTime = MonoTime.currTime, ds is zero, otherwise, if I remove it, ds has the actual value.

startTime is first set right before http.perform() call:

>	startTime = MonoTime.currTime;
>	http.perform();

(My goal is define the download transfer rate, different approachs for this are welcome)
January 11
On 1/11/18 3:21 PM, Marc wrote:
> I stuck at this and can't figure out the reason why the value of the variable ds is 0 when I do this: startTime = MonoTime.currTime; if I remove that statement, the value of ds isn't zeroed, it has the actual number of seconds. But I can't figure out, ds is of integer type and such, it is copied, right? or is this related to the fact I'm setting it withi a callback function?
> 
> here's the piece of code:
>> import std.net.curl;
>> auto http = HTTP(url);
>> http.method = HTTP.Method.get;
> ....
> the relevant part:
> 
>>     http.onProgress = (size_t dltotal, size_t dlnow,
>>                        size_t ultotal, size_t ulnow) {
>>         if(dlNow > 0) {
>>            MonoTime endTime = MonoTime.currTime;
>>            Duration duration = endTime - startTime;
>>         long ds = duration.total!"seconds";
>>         writeln("duration!seconds  = ", ds);
>>         startTime = MonoTime.currTime;
> 
> if I put startTime = MonoTime.currTime, ds is zero, otherwise, if I remove it, ds has the actual value.
> 
> startTime is first set right before http.perform() call:
> 
>>     startTime = MonoTime.currTime;
>>     http.perform();
> 
> (My goal is define the download transfer rate, different approachs for this are welcome)

`total` truncates. So your time is less than 1 second.

-Steve
January 11
On 01/11/2018 12:21 PM, Marc wrote:
> I stuck at this and can't figure out the reason why the value of the
> variable ds is 0 when I do this: startTime = MonoTime.currTime;

It's not clear which of the two statements you're talking about.
>>     http.onProgress = (size_t dltotal, size_t dlnow,
>>                        size_t ultotal, size_t ulnow) {
>>         if(dlNow > 0) {
>>            MonoTime endTime = MonoTime.currTime;
>>            Duration duration = endTime - startTime;
>>         long ds = duration.total!"seconds";
>>         writeln("duration!seconds  = ", ds);
>>         startTime = MonoTime.currTime;

I would remove the one above and keep the one below.

>>     startTime = MonoTime.currTime;
>>     http.perform();

If you're trying to measure time between two onProgress() calls, as Steve noted, seconds is probably too large a unit.

Ali

January 11
On Thursday, January 11, 2018 14:07:18 Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On 01/11/2018 12:21 PM, Marc wrote:
>  > I stuck at this and can't figure out the reason why the value of the
>  > variable ds is 0 when I do this: startTime = MonoTime.currTime;
>
> It's not clear which of the two statements you're talking about.
>
>  >>     http.onProgress = (size_t dltotal, size_t dlnow,
>  >>
>  >>                        size_t ultotal, size_t ulnow) {
>  >>
>  >>         if(dlNow > 0) {
>  >>
>  >>            MonoTime endTime = MonoTime.currTime;
>  >>            Duration duration = endTime - startTime;
>  >>
>  >>         long ds = duration.total!"seconds";
>  >>         writeln("duration!seconds  = ", ds);
>  >>         startTime = MonoTime.currTime;
>
> I would remove the one above and keep the one below.
>
>  >>     startTime = MonoTime.currTime;
>  >>     http.perform();
>
> If you're trying to measure time between two onProgress() calls, as Steve noted, seconds is probably too large a unit.

And if all what you're doing is printing the value out, you might as well just print the Duration directly rather than calling total. Duration.toString returns the units in a human-readable format such as "2 secs, 300 msecs, and 24 μs" or "29 msecs".

https://dlang.org/phobos/core_time.html#.Duration.toString

And if you're doing something like adding up the time spent, then you'd be better off keeping it in a Duration than converting it to long holding seconds or milliseconds or whatever.

- Jonathan M Davis


January 12
On Friday, 12 January 2018 at 05:14:12 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Thursday, January 11, 2018 14:07:18 Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>> [...]
>
> And if all what you're doing is printing the value out, you might as well just print the Duration directly rather than calling total. Duration.toString returns the units in a human-readable format such as "2 secs, 300 msecs, and 24 μs" or "29 msecs".
>
> https://dlang.org/phobos/core_time.html#.Duration.toString
>
> And if you're doing something like adding up the time spent, then you'd be better off keeping it in a Duration than converting it to long holding seconds or milliseconds or whatever.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I do use that value as following:

> int t = fileSize / countOfByetsDownloaded * duration.total!"seconds";

I print that value there for testing only, if I was getting the values correctly.

Thank you all guys for the answers.