Index » General » DIP attack (page 2)

April 08, 2013
On 4/8/13 3:04 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-04-08 17:26, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> A good source of inspiration: http://docs.scala-lang.org/sips/
>
> I've read this:
>
> http://docs.scala-lang.org/sips/sip-submission.html
>
> And as far as I know our system for DIP's doesn't work anyway near
> what's described on that page. Or are you proposing it should?

Yes, it's for the future.

Andrei

April 09, 2013
On Monday, 8 April 2013 at 21:12:37 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Newsgroup posts come and go. Big difference.
>
> Andrei

DIPs stay and rot. Big difference.
So I suppose you don't think any improvements need to be done for this process right now?
April 09, 2013
On 4/9/13 4:11 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> On Monday, 8 April 2013 at 21:12:37 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Newsgroup posts come and go. Big difference.
>>
>> Andrei
>
> DIPs stay and rot. Big difference.

I was making an actual argument, sarcasm is uncalled for. It has been a long standing problem with this community that good ideas and good articles got lost because they scrolled away in the Usenet stream.

> So I suppose you don't think any improvements need to be done for this
> process right now?

We are only at the beginning with DIPs. Of course we need to make a ton of improvements.


Andrei
April 09, 2013
On Tuesday, 9 April 2013 at 12:59:09 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 4/9/13 4:11 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>> On Monday, 8 April 2013 at 21:12:37 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Newsgroup posts come and go. Big difference.
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> DIPs stay and rot. Big difference.
>
> I was making an actual argument, sarcasm is uncalled for. It has been a long standing problem with this community that good ideas and good articles got lost because they scrolled away in the Usenet stream.

And I am saying exactly it is not that much different if they are not actually processed, as soon as language improvements are desired goal, not some kind of encyclopedia. Sure, it is better, I agree. But it is still seriously lacking and don't scale to even current amount of DIPs.

>
>> So I suppose you don't think any improvements need to be done for this
>> process right now?
>
> We are only at the beginning with DIPs. Of course we need to make a ton of improvements.

Really glad to here it. Problem is, process change initiative here needs to be launched by either you or Walter because you are the two who make final decisions on DIPs. This can't be pure community effort.

Or should I make DIP about changing DIP process? :)
Next ›   Last »
1 2
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home