Thread overview
Desktop app with vibe.d
Aug 12
DanielG
6 days ago
wjoe
August 12
Pls I want to know if it is possible to build desktop app with vibe.d just like nodejs. I am not satisfy with the GUI of Dlang such as dlangui and gtkd. I don't think they have good styling capabilities like HTML and CSS.

I will be happy if I can build an app in D with fanciful ui. I will also be happy if you know any other way to build a fanciful ui in D like adobe flex, javafx, etc.
August 12
On Monday, 12 August 2019 at 10:41:57 UTC, GreatSam4sure wrote:
> Pls I want to know if it is possible to build desktop app with vibe.d just like nodejs. I am not satisfy with the GUI of Dlang such as dlangui and gtkd. I don't think they have good styling capabilities like HTML and CSS.
>
> I will be happy if I can build an app in D with fanciful ui. I will also be happy if you know any other way to build a fanciful ui in D like adobe flex, javafx, etc.

vibe.d is a backend framework so unless you ran it and had the user connect via a web browser I don't think so.

Honestly, avoid web technology on the desktop like the plague. It's slow and memory hogging.
August 12
On Monday, 12 August 2019 at 10:41:57 UTC, GreatSam4sure wrote:
> I will be happy if I can build an app in D with fanciful ui. I will also be happy if you know any other way to build a fanciful ui in D like adobe flex, javafx, etc.

I haven't seen anybody doing it yet, but in theory you could launch a browser / Electron instance / etc, and have it connect via gRPC to code written in D.

Then you could have a fancy React UI and use D to do the heavy lifting.
August 13
On Mon, 2019-08-12 at 20:01 +0000, DanielG via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Monday, 12 August 2019 at 10:41:57 UTC, GreatSam4sure wrote:
> > I will be happy if I can build an app in D with fanciful ui. I will also be happy if you know any other way to build a fanciful ui in D like adobe flex, javafx, etc.
> 
> I haven't seen anybody doing it yet, but in theory you could launch a browser / Electron instance / etc, and have it connect via gRPC to code written in D.
> 
> Then you could have a fancy React UI and use D to do the heavy lifting.

GtkD allows for "reactive" UI. https://www.reactivemanifesto.org/

There is also Qt, I haven't tried any of the D bindings to Qt, but given Qt is event loop based I am sure it allows for "reactive" UI as well – it definitely does using Python/PySIDE2.

GTK+ doesn't have the equivalent of the stage/engine of QML. QML is Qt's
version of JavaFX, so you do not need a browser to get a dynamic reactive UI.

-- 
Russel.
===========================================
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk



August 13
On Tuesday, 13 August 2019 at 09:44:59 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-08-12 at 20:01 +0000, DanielG via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>> [...]
>
> GtkD allows for "reactive" UI. https://www.reactivemanifesto.org/
>
> There is also Qt, I haven't tried any of the D bindings to Qt, but given Qt is event loop based I am sure it allows for "reactive" UI as well – it definitely does using Python/PySIDE2.
>
> GTK+ doesn't have the equivalent of the stage/engine of QML. QML is Qt's
> version of JavaFX, so you do not need a browser to get a dynamic reactive UI.


I want my back end to be in D. I want to write the app in D. I am comfortable with JavaFX, adobe flex and Kotlin, c# to some extent

6 days ago
On Monday, 12 August 2019 at 10:41:57 UTC, GreatSam4sure wrote:
> Pls I want to know if it is possible to build desktop app with vibe.d just like nodejs. I am not satisfy with the GUI of Dlang such as dlangui and gtkd. I don't think they have good styling capabilities like HTML and CSS.
>
> I will be happy if I can build an app in D with fanciful ui. I will also be happy if you know any other way to build a fanciful ui in D like adobe flex, javafx, etc.

Kai Nacke has a chapter (it's chapter 8) in his book "D Web Development / Packt Publishing"