Thread overview
how to pass stderr to core.stdc.stdio.fileno
Feb 17
berni
Feb 17
berni
Feb 17
berni
Feb 22
berni
February 17
The following code doesn't work:

> int no = fileno(stderr);

The error message is:

test.d(7): Error: function core.stdc.stdio.fileno (shared(_IO_FILE)*) is not callable using argument types (File)

How can I cast stderr to something, that fileno() accepts?
February 17
On Friday, 17 February 2017 at 16:02:39 UTC, berni wrote:
>> int no = fileno(stderr);

Try

fileno(core.stdc.stdio.stderr);

to force it to use the C stderr object instead of the D one.

Alternatively, fileno(stderr.getFP()) should do it too.
http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/std.stdio.File.getFP.html
February 17
On Friday, 17 February 2017 at 16:08:11 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Try
>
> fileno(core.stdc.stdio.stderr);
>
> to force it to use the C stderr object instead of the D one.
>
> Alternatively, fileno(stderr.getFP()) should do it too.
> http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/std.stdio.File.getFP.html

Many thanks! That worked. And also thanks for the link. I didn't know if this docs yet. :-)
February 17
On Friday, 17 February 2017 at 18:43:29 UTC, berni wrote:
> Many thanks! That worked. And also thanks for the link. I didn't know if this docs yet. :-)

Yes, that is my documentation fork, it has a search feature if you do dpldocs.info/some_term and it tries to be easier to read and navigate, let me know how you like it!
February 17
On Friday, 17 February 2017 at 19:16:44 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Yes, that is my documentation fork, it has a search feature if you do dpldocs.info/some_term and it tries to be easier to read and navigate, let me know how you like it!

What I've seen so far, looks quite good.

What I didn't understand was that large box below write in stdio. Maybe, it's because I'm not familiar with templates yet. But when I click on the question mark in the corner I get an empty search result, which, of course, doesn't explain anything.
February 17
On Friday, 17 February 2017 at 19:36:50 UTC, berni wrote:
> What I didn't understand was that large box below write in stdio. Maybe, it's because I'm not familiar with templates yet.

That's the function signature, listing the arguments, types, etc. On write, it is mostly empty, write is relatively simple, and i designed it more for complicated ones. Like my create window constructor:

http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/arsd.simpledisplay.SimpleWindow.this.1.html

there you can see a pretty traditional arguments list. Complicated templates can be more readable too, like sort:

http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/std.algorithm.sorting.sort.html

though the short answer is "give it an array", the long answer there explains what else it can take too.

> But when I click on the question mark in the corner I get an empty search result, which, of course, doesn't explain anything.

yeah i haven't written that page yet
February 22
As I cannot find any PM-feature in this forum and don't know how to contact you else, I'm hijacking this thread to give you some feedback...

On Friday, 17 February 2017 at 19:16:44 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Yes, that is my documentation fork, it has a search feature if you do dpldocs.info/some_term and it tries to be easier to read and navigate, let me know how you like it!

I tried dpldocs.info/max looking for a function that gives the maximum of two or more values. I got a lot of results, but non of them was, what I was looking for. Meanwhile I found it, namely this one:

http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/std.algorithm.comparison.max.html

Maybe you can figure out, why this is not included in the search result?
February 22
On Wednesday, 22 February 2017 at 19:46:28 UTC, berni wrote:
> As I cannot find any PM-feature in this forum and don't know how to contact you else, I'm hijacking this thread to give you some feedback...

You can always email me directly too, destructionator@gmail.com

> Maybe you can figure out, why this is not included in the search result?

It was a bug in the pagination, that function was on page two, which I don't show (my experience is if the search result isn't on page one, you're wasting your time anyway and should refine the terms)... but it should have been on page one.

That's fixed, and I tweaked the score algorithm to give it a bonus because it is a free-standing function with a matching name instead of some member variable. So now it shows as the first result.