July 20, 2001
Hi Jurek,

I guess what you basically should do is create a directory C:\DM or C:\DMC in on
your computer and copy the DMC++ CD into that directory.
The directories (+subdirectories) you really need are:
/bin
/include
/lib

Than on Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0 and 2000 you can make a shortcut to either... scw32.exe or scwmn32.exe in the /bin directory. This should start the IDDE. scw32.exe and scwmn32.exe is basically the main Win32 IDDE which can generate executables for DOS16, DOS32 (DOSX), Win16 (Windows 3.1), Win32 (Windows 95, Windows NT).

I think the Win32 IDDE debugs Win32 and Win16, but I am not quite sure. (Sorry, I hardly ever use a debugger).

If you want to target the modern Win32 platforms (Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000) you should select Windows 95 as target in the IDDE. This causes the .EXE to be branded correctly and enables the use of the new controls.

The "Install" for the compiler used to create a submenu in "Programs" on Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000. To give you a bit of a hand I zipped what I still have in the "Symantec C++ V7.5" folder" which you hopefully can use to create a menu.

As for comments, problems or anything else with regards to the Digital Mars C++ compiler and IDDE check the newsgroups at news.digitalmars.com. There are instructions on http://www.digitalmars.com/ on "how to".

Good luck!
Jan

Jurek Wozniak wrote:

> Hi Jan,
> I've recently purchased a copy of the CD, but I'm having some problems with
> compiling/debugging programs using the IDDE, and with running the resource
> compiler. I suspect that this may be due to "operator error" as there's an
> awful lot of documentation supplied with the compiler, and some of it is
> contradictory. My first thought is that perhaps I'm somehow running the
> wrong versions of the IDDE/compiler/linker for the host & target platforms.
> The readme.txt file in the main directory on the CD states that installation
> is not necessary, but does not say which of the various programs should be
> used.  In various places in the help files however, there are references to
> the installation procedure, which sets  up group icons tailored to the OS &
> target system, e.g.:
>
> "Running Digital Mars C++ under Windows 3.1, Windows 95, and Windows NT: Digital Mars C++ ships with three different integrated development and debugging environments (IDDEs), each tailored to a specific operating system and target. The Digital Mars C++ installer program asks you to define the kind of programs you plan to develop, and then installs the appropriate IDDEs on your system. All IDDEs share the same user interface, and can build applications for DOS, Windows 3. 1, Windows 95, Windows NT 3.5, and DOSX. Minor differences between the three IDDEs are noted throughout this manual, as appropriate. Not every IDDE can debug every kind of executable. To debug a Windows NT program, for example, you need the full 32-bit IDDE running under Windows NT. "
>
> I'd be grateful if you could please advise me on the correct installation
> procedure etc.
> Please accept my apologies if technical enquiries should be directed to
> someone else, and in that case perhaps you would be kind enough to advise me
> to whom they should be sent ?
> TIA.