Jul 23, 2001
Mark Evans
Jul 28, 2001
Dan Rushe
Aug 08, 2001
Mark Evans
July 23, 2001
Given two Win16 applications running on Windows 98:

One of the applications would like to close the other at shutdown time.  The problem is that it doesn't have the task handle for the other app.  Win16 seems to offer limited task management calls.

Would this technique work even in theory:

EnumWindows -- get all top-level windows in all running programs
GetWindowTask on the one I need
PostAppMessage (WM_QUIT) on the resulting task

I think if I can get the window of the remote app (it has only one), then from there I can maneuver around.  The problem is what facility exists in Win16 to get the handle to a remote app's main window.

Open to ideas here,

Mark

July 28, 2001
    That should work, but you shouldn't need to find the window's task handle.  As you get passed each HWND in the system, you can pass it on to GetWindowText() to check the caption. If it's the
window you are looking for, then call PostAppMessage(hWnd,WM_QUIT,0,0).  This works if you know the window's caption (assuming it has one).  If you know the window's class name, you could use
GetClassName() instead checking the caption.

Hope this helps,
        Dan Rushe
        thecourtjesture@advnet.net

Mark Evans wrote:

> Given two Win16 applications running on Windows 98:
>
> One of the applications would like to close the other at shutdown time.  The problem is that it doesn't have the task handle for the other app.  Win16 seems to offer limited task management calls.
>
> Would this technique work even in theory:
>
> EnumWindows -- get all top-level windows in all running programs
> GetWindowTask on the one I need
> PostAppMessage (WM_QUIT) on the resulting task
>
> I think if I can get the window of the remote app (it has only one), then from there I can maneuver around.  The problem is what facility exists in Win16 to get the handle to a remote app's main
> window.
>
> Open to ideas here,
>
> Mark

August 08, 2001
This was my solution:

other_window = FindWindow(NULL,"Other Window Title");
if (other_window != 0) PostMessage(other_window,WM_DESTROY,0,0);

Since I know the title of the external window these two lines of code always work.

Mark

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:38:08 -0400, Dan Rushe <thecourtjesture@advnet.net> wrote:
>     That should work, but you shouldn't need to find the window's task handle.  As you get passed each HWND in the system, you can pass it on to GetWindowText() to check the caption. If it's the
> window you are looking for, then call PostAppMessage(hWnd,WM_QUIT,0,0).  This works if you know the window's caption (assuming it has one).  If you know the window's class name, you could
use
> GetClassName() instead checking the caption.
> 
>         Hope this helps,
>         Dan Rushe
>         thecourtjesture@advnet.net
> 
> Mark Evans wrote:
> 
> > Given two Win16 applications running on Windows 98:
> >
> > One of the applications would like to close the other at shutdown time.  The problem is that it doesn't have the task handle for the other app.  Win16 seems to offer limited task management calls.
> >
> > Would this technique work even in theory:
> >
> > EnumWindows -- get all top-level windows in all running programs
> > GetWindowTask on the one I need
> > PostAppMessage (WM_QUIT) on the resulting task
> >
> > I think if I can get the window of the remote app (it has only one), then from there I can maneuver around.  The problem is what facility exists in Win16 to get the handle to a remote app's main
> > window.
> >
> > Open to ideas here,
> >
> > Mark
>