October 14, 2001
Walter,

You should put this in the FAQ asap ;-D

BTW, whereas I understand your love to sensible means of installing and uninstalling packages, I wonder if we could not put in the FAQ that if one just copies the whole CD contents, a lot of Win32s binaries get copied, which in Win 9x (I surmise NT/2000 as well) are worthless.

Thanks to Chris and Walter for the patience.

Be ready to help me with other issues, as the 'preview' function in AppExpress also fails sometimes. . .

Cesar

Walter wrote:
> 
> Chris wrote in message ...
> >On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:11:36 -0300, Cesar Rabak <csrabak@uol.com.br> wrote:
> >
> >>Walter wrote:
> >>>
> >>> Try copying sct3d32.dll to your windows system directory (on my system
> it's
> >>> \winnt40\system32).
> >>
> >>This does not cut in! The symptom keeps the same ;-(
> >>
> >>Does this dll requires somo form of 'registering' like some VB controls?
> >
> >No, it is a message put out by the DLL when it detects that it is run from a dir not being the system dir. Try renaming the original in the DM\BIN directory to sct3d32.dll.old. Due to the way windows locates the dll, a simple copy won't help if the original is still loaded first. Sometimes you've gotta help windows a little........
> >
> >Chris
> 
> If this works for Cesar, I'll put it in the FAQ, as I'm sure it'll come up again. Sigh. I've always hated installation programs, which is why I try to get things to work without needing installation. sct3d32.dll is determined to thwart me <g>.
October 14, 2001
Chris wrote:
[snipped]
> >
> >This does not cut in! The symptom keeps the same ;-(
> >
> >Does this dll requires somo form of 'registering' like some VB controls?
> 
> No, it is a message put out by the DLL when it detects that it is run from a dir not being the system dir. Try renaming the original in the DM\BIN directory to sct3d32.dll.old. Due to the way windows locates the dll, a simple copy won't help if the original is still loaded first. Sometimes you've gotta help windows a little........

Chris,

It worked! I do not get this message any more. Will proceed in exploring the tool now.

Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I had a misconception that having DLLs in the application directory would be OK, and in fact a means to avoid playing havoc in a client's machine. It seems some DLLs don't allow this. . .

Again thanks,

Cesar
October 15, 2001
Just CTRL2DV2.DLL as far as I know. It's a prevention from M$ to have multiple copies on one system...

Jan

October 15, 2001
Jan Knepper wrote:
> 
> Just CTRL2DV2.DLL as far as I know. It's a prevention from M$ to have multiple copies on one system...
> 
> Jan

It seems it was the work of a sole soul (at M$) and the concept was
rapidly abandoned ;-)

[]

Cesar
October 15, 2001
Ok, I updated the www.digitalmars.com/faq.html with yours and Chris' input! Thanks! -Walter

Cesar Rabak wrote in message <3BCA20D2.BB2DCF25@uol.com.br>...
>Walter,
>
>You should put this in the FAQ asap ;-D
>
>BTW, whereas I understand your love to sensible means of installing and uninstalling packages, I wonder if we could not put in the FAQ that if one just copies the whole CD contents, a lot of Win32s binaries get copied, which in Win 9x (I surmise NT/2000 as well) are worthless.
>
>Thanks to Chris and Walter for the patience.
>
>Be ready to help me with other issues, as the 'preview' function in AppExpress also fails sometimes. . .
>
>Cesar
>
>
>Walter wrote:
>>
>> Chris wrote in message ...
>> >On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:11:36 -0300, Cesar Rabak <csrabak@uol.com.br>
wrote:
>> >
>> >>Walter wrote:
>> >>>
>> >>> Try copying sct3d32.dll to your windows system directory (on my
system
>> it's
>> >>> \winnt40\system32).
>> >>
>> >>This does not cut in! The symptom keeps the same ;-(
>> >>
>> >>Does this dll requires somo form of 'registering' like some VB
controls?
>> >
>> >No, it is a message put out by the DLL when it detects that it is run
from
>> >a dir not being the system dir. Try renaming the original in the DM\BIN directory to sct3d32.dll.old. Due to the way windows locates the dll, a simple copy won't help if the original is still loaded first. Sometimes you've gotta help windows a little........
>> >
>> >Chris
>>
>> If this works for Cesar, I'll put it in the FAQ, as I'm sure it'll come
up
>> again. Sigh. I've always hated installation programs, which is why I try
to
>> get things to work without needing installation. sct3d32.dll is
determined
>> to thwart me <g>.

October 16, 2001
On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 20:36:32 -0300, Cesar Rabak <csrabak@uol.com.br> wrote:

Glad things worked out. It seems daft, but MS did have a reason. Appearently they kept getting more and more support questions (solved that differently since ;-) about the original CTL3D, as a lot of users had more than one version. Trouble is that once the DLL is loaded, everybody gets hooked up to the one in memory. So they wrote the d32 version, which insists on being in the system directory. That created other problems (like newer versions getting killed by older ones), so they abandoned that to return to the glorious CTL3D problem when they put out more than one MFC42.DLL. AFAIK they didn't repeat that brain wave, so you should be ok. In fact, if installing all locally is what your after, ctl3d will do the same and not complain. If I remember correctly, you can download all versions/variants from MS, help file included.

Chris.

>Chris wrote:
>[snipped]
>> >
>> >This does not cut in! The symptom keeps the same ;-(
>> >
>> >Does this dll requires somo form of 'registering' like some VB controls?
>> 
>> No, it is a message put out by the DLL when it detects that it is run from a dir not being the system dir. Try renaming the original in the DM\BIN directory to sct3d32.dll.old. Due to the way windows locates the dll, a simple copy won't help if the original is still loaded first. Sometimes you've gotta help windows a little........
>
>Chris,
>
>It worked! I do not get this message any more. Will proceed in exploring the tool now.
>
>Thanks for the tip!
>
>BTW, I had a misconception that having DLLs in the application directory would be OK, and in fact a means to avoid playing havoc in a client's machine. It seems some DLLs don't allow this. . .
>
>Again thanks,
>
>Cesar

October 17, 2001
Chris wrote:
> 
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 20:36:32 -0300, Cesar Rabak <csrabak@uol.com.br> wrote:
> 
> Glad things worked out. It seems daft, but MS did have a reason.
[snipped]

OK, I see. Engineering in the Real World® is complicated, isn't it ;-)

O first opportunity will browse the MS site you mention.

I'm now fighting another bug and as soon I drill down a simple way to reproduce I'll post here.

Is not related anymore to AppExpress, but ResourceStudio32. Watch this space!

Thanks again to all.

Cesar
October 18, 2001
Walter wrote:
> 
> Ok, I updated the www.digitalmars.com/faq.html with yours and Chris' input! Thanks! -Walter

Walter,

I read the update you did put in the FAQ, and I believe an additional clarification has to be posted be there be elsewhere:

Since it is not possible to rename the DLL in the CD, we have to inform users that it is not possible to run AppExpress (be it alone or via IDDE) from the CD.

Don't you agree?

Cesar
October 18, 2001
Unfortunately, I think you may be right. -Walter

Cesar Rabak wrote in message <3BCEE2A6.8441A18@uol.com.br>...
>Walter wrote:
>>
>> Ok, I updated the www.digitalmars.com/faq.html with yours and Chris'
input!
>> Thanks! -Walter
>
>Walter,
>
>I read the update you did put in the FAQ, and I believe an additional clarification has to be posted be there be elsewhere:
>
>Since it is not possible to rename the DLL in the CD, we have to inform users that it is not possible to run AppExpress (be it alone or via IDDE) from the CD.
>
>Don't you agree?
>
>Cesar

November 08, 2002
For what it's worth, I had this problem on my COMPAQ Presario running W98 and I fixed it by copying the file into the "system" directory as opposed to the "system32" directory.  I looked and all my DLLs were in that particular directory, so that's where I put the file and it worked no problem after that.

Greer
(newbie to C++ & DM)

"Cesar Rabak" <csrabak@uol.com.br> wrote in message news:3BCCE363.3C573624@uol.com.br...
> Chris wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 20:36:32 -0300, Cesar Rabak <csrabak@uol.com.br>
wrote:
> >
> > Glad things worked out. It seems daft, but MS did have a reason.
> [snipped]
>
> OK, I see. Engineering in the Real World® is complicated, isn't it ;-)
>
> O first opportunity will browse the MS site you mention.
>
> I'm now fighting another bug and as soon I drill down a simple way to reproduce I'll post here.
>
> Is not related anymore to AppExpress, but ResourceStudio32. Watch this space!
>
> Thanks again to all.
>
> Cesar