Ben Hinkle
Jun 16, 2004
john
Jun 18, 2004
John Fletcher
Jun 18, 2004
Norbert Nemec
June 15, 2004
I am working with some automatically generated D interface code where code for each C++ class being wrapped is put into a different file.  The problem is that the classes interact, and that I have a problem with permission to see a specific static member function between classes.  It all works if the code is all in one file.

Example:

public class A {
    private void* Ptr;
    private static void* getPtr(A obj) {
     return (obj === null) ? null : Ptr; }
  }

is an extract from automatically generated code.

If a second class B has a constructor with an A as an argument the code generated is

public class B {
  // ...
    public this(A a)  {
    // contains   A.getPtr(a) which fails unless the code for B is in
the same file as the code for A.
    // This applies even if I change the permission of the static
function to public.
    }
  }

One workaround is to put into the defintion of A the extra member function

public void* Ptr() { return getPtr(this); }

which can be seen from the other file, i.e. putting a.Ptr() for
A.getPtr().

I am in a position to edit the code which does the automatic generation, and the aim is to find a general solution which would result in the generation of valid code which works.  There should be no need to edit the result.

At the moment the question is, is there a way in which the code of class A could be altered so that class B can see  A.setPtr(obj) even when they are in separate files?

More details of the background to this are on

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DwithSwig

Thanks

John Fletcher

June 15, 2004
Declaring getPtr as static and public should work. I recommend getting an example of the problem with as few lines as possible and post it on digitalmars.D.bugs.

John Fletcher wrote:

> I am working with some automatically generated D interface code where code for each C++ class being wrapped is put into a different file.  The problem is that the classes interact, and that I have a problem with permission to see a specific static member function between classes.  It all works if the code is all in one file.
> 
> Example:
> 
>   public class A {
>     private void* Ptr;
>     private static void* getPtr(A obj) {
>      return (obj === null) ? null : Ptr; }
>   }
> 
> is an extract from automatically generated code.
> 
> If a second class B has a constructor with an A as an argument the code generated is
> 
>   public class B {
>   // ...
>     public this(A a)  {
>     // contains   A.getPtr(a) which fails unless the code for B is in
> the same file as the code for A.
>     // This applies even if I change the permission of the static
> function to public.
>     }
>   }
> 
> One workaround is to put into the defintion of A the extra member function
> 
>   public void* Ptr() { return getPtr(this); }
>
> which can be seen from the other file, i.e. putting a.Ptr() for
> A.getPtr().
> 
> I am in a position to edit the code which does the automatic generation, and the aim is to find a general solution which would result in the generation of valid code which works.  There should be no need to edit the result.
> 
> At the moment the question is, is there a way in which the code of class A could be altered so that class B can see  A.setPtr(obj) even when they are in separate files?
> 
> More details of the background to this are on
> 
> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DwithSwig
> 
> Thanks
> 
> John Fletcher

June 16, 2004
In article <camq9o$1sb1$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
>
>
>Declaring getPtr as static and public should work. I recommend getting an example of the problem with as few lines as possible and post it on digitalmars.D.bugs.
>

Thanks for the hint. It isn't a bug, but a misunderstanding of mine.  The problem is that the automatically generated file has the same name as the class within it. When class A has a public static member e.g.

class A
{

public static void* getPtr(A obj)  {
//  something
}

}

The structure in a class B importing a class A is that A is the module and the class is referred to as A.A

import A;

class B
{

public void* getAPtr(A obj) {
return A.A.getPtr(a);   // This works.
}

//public void* getAPtr(A obj) {
//   return A.getPtr(a);   This fails.
//}

}

I now need to alter the SWIG code generator for D to do the correct thing.

Thanks again.

John

June 18, 2004

john@bunbury28.plus.com wrote:

> In article <camq9o$1sb1$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
> >
> >
> >Declaring getPtr as static and public should work. I recommend getting an example of the problem with as few lines as possible and post it on digitalmars.D.bugs.
> >
>
> Thanks for the hint. It isn't a bug, but a misunderstanding of mine.  The problem is that the automatically generated file has the same name as the class within it.
>
> I now need to alter the SWIG code generator for D to do the correct thing.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> John

The alternative is to rename the file e.g. classA.d instead of A.d

This is what I have done.

John

June 18, 2004
John Fletcher wrote:

> I am working with some automatically generated D interface code where code for each C++ class being wrapped is put into a different file.  The problem is that the classes interact, and that I have a problem with permission to see a specific static member function between classes.  It all works if the code is all in one file.
> 
> Example:
> 
>   public class A {
>     private void* Ptr;
>     private static void* getPtr(A obj) {
>      return (obj === null) ? null : Ptr; }
>   }

It might just be a typo in the post, but still: accessing "Ptr" within a static function will not work. Instead, it should be "obj.Ptr".