Trejkaz Xaoza
Jun 17, 2004
John Fletcher
Jun 16, 2004
Trejkaz Xaoza
Jun 15, 2004
John Fletcher
June 14, 2004
I have a set of some C++ classes which I want to use with D too. It would be a lot of work to port them all to D, and some of them I have only as a DLL-file, without sourcecode.

So my question is short and simple :)
Is there any way to use C++ classes in D?
I know, D classes are different from C++ classes, but maybe there's a trick? ;)

Thx,
Jan

June 14, 2004
"Jan" <Jan_member@pathlink.com> wrote in message news:caldc7$2p69$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> I have a set of some C++ classes which I want to use with D too. It would be a lot of work to port them all to D, and some of them I have only as a DLL-file, without sourcecode.
>
> So my question is short and simple :)
> Is there any way to use C++ classes in D?

Only via C. You can provide an API by which your C++ classes are represented as handles to the D side, and methods are represented as free functions taking the instance handle as an argument, inside which it is cast back to the C++ type and the method called. If you're C++ is nicely laid out, you should be able to script this with Perl/Python/Ruby.

> I know, D classes are different from C++ classes, but maybe there's a trick? ;)
>
> Thx,
> Jan
>
>

June 15, 2004

Matthew wrote:

> "Jan" <Jan_member@pathlink.com> wrote in message news:caldc7$2p69$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> > I have a set of some C++ classes which I want to use with D too. It would be a lot of work to port them all to D, and some of them I have only as a DLL-file, without sourcecode.
> >
> > So my question is short and simple :)
> > Is there any way to use C++ classes in D?
>
> Only via C. You can provide an API by which your C++ classes are represented as handles to the D side, and methods are represented as free functions taking the instance handle as an argument, inside which it is cast back to the C++ type and the method called. If you're C++ is nicely laid out, you should be able to script this with Perl/Python/Ruby.
>
> > I know, D classes are different from C++ classes, but maybe there's a trick? ;)
> >
> > Thx,
> > Jan
> >
> >

Hi

The good news is that there is a means of generating the interface code automatically.  Andy Friesen has adapted SWIG so that it works to produce an interface for D.  I have been using that and tackling some of the problems which arise when wanting to interface a set of C++ classes to D.  My progress so far is reported on the D wiki at the reference below.

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DwithSwig

I have solved some problems and am still tackling some others.  The end result will be a revised version of Andy Friesen's work, which I have yet to report back to him. You will find an uptodate reference to his work on the wiki page. The one on the D links page on Walter's web site is out of date.

If you get a copy of Andy Friesens's code I can let you have a modified version and some examples for D, which are not in his package.  SWIG works on WIndows and Linux. I am mainly using it on Linux at the moment.

If you have not used SWIG before do feel free to contact me. The documentation for SWIG is good, except for anything D specific which has still to be written.

Cheers

John Fletcher

June 15, 2004

Jan wrote:

> I have a set of some C++ classes which I want to use with D too. It would be a lot of work to port them all to D, and some of them I have only as a DLL-file, without sourcecode.
>
> So my question is short and simple :)
> Is there any way to use C++ classes in D?
> I know, D classes are different from C++ classes, but maybe there's a trick? ;)
>
> Thx,
> Jan

Jan

To use SWIG as I have suggested in my other message, you will need access to two things I have not mentioned

(1) The header files for your C++ code
(2) The relevant C++ compiler to compile some C++ wrapping code which will be
generated.

Also the D compiler and a text editor, which I assume you will have.

I tried to Email you a direct copy of my other posting  but it has been returned.

John

June 16, 2004
In article <caldlf$2pl5$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
>"Jan" <Jan_member@pathlink.com> wrote in message news:caldc7$2p69$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>> I have a set of some C++ classes which I want to use with D too. It would be a lot of work to port them all to D, and some of them I have only as a DLL-file, without sourcecode.
>>
>> So my question is short and simple :)
>> Is there any way to use C++ classes in D?
>
> Only via C. You can provide an API by which your C++ classes are represented as handles to the D side, and methods are represented as free functions taking the instance handle as an argument, inside which it is cast back to the C++ type and the method called. If you're C++ is nicely laid out, you should be able to script this with Perl/Python/Ruby.

There is also SWIG for this sort of purpose, although SWIG is quite daunting IMO.  But at least someone has integrated DMD support into SWIG... just not into the official release.  A google search will pull it up though.

[I was looking into this heavily a couple of weeks ago when I started lamenting the lack of Qt in D.  Two weeks later, I still lament the lack of Qt in D, but am fairly comfortable with the fact that writing the wrapper is beyond my abilities.  I think the only way to get the damn thing is to convince someone in the KDE project that D is cool enough to go into kdebindings. :-)]

TX

June 16, 2004
Rats.  Sorry about my post stating the same info, I would have noticed you already mentioned SWIG if I had access to my normal threaded newsreader.  My bad. :-(

In article <40CEBB1E.E38DF81E@aston.ac.uk>, John Fletcher says...
>The good news is that there is a means of generating the interface code automatically.  Andy Friesen has adapted SWIG so that it works to produce an interface for D.  I have been using that and tackling some of the problems which arise when wanting to interface a set of C++ classes to D.  My progress so far is reported on the D wiki at the reference below.
>
>http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DwithSwig

June 17, 2004

Trejkaz Xaoza wrote:

> Rats.  Sorry about my post stating the same info, I would have noticed you already mentioned SWIG if I had access to my normal threaded newsreader.  My bad. :-(
>
> In article <40CEBB1E.E38DF81E@aston.ac.uk>, John Fletcher says...
> >The good news is that there is a means of generating the interface code automatically.  Andy Friesen has adapted SWIG so that it works to produce an interface for D.  I have been using that and tackling some of the problems which arise when wanting to interface a set of C++ classes to D.  My progress so far is reported on the D wiki at the reference below.
> >
> >http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DwithSwig

No problem.  I have been working on making it easier to wrap C++ classes using SWIG, and some of the results are in an update of the wiki page I reference above.

I hope very soon to mke available a version which will make it easy to wrap quite complex sets of C++ classes.

John