Thread overview
[phobos] New time lib
April 27, 2010
I think Phobos should include this, it looks very well written:

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D.announce&article_id=18075

It's very similar to the improvements I made to Tango a while back, but with well thought-out improvements to the interface to get it D2 shape.

My preference would be to put the Span part into druntime, and the rest into a phobos module.  This allows things like Thread.sleep to use Span.

-Steve

April 27, 2010
Yes, and I'd like to extend an invitation to both the authors of the serialization library and the time library to join Phobos. All - do I have your agreement?

Speaking of which: in case you're worried of too broad acceptance of people into Phobos, I think that's what we need to do right now. We finally have an email hook so anyone can take a look at what's checked in, and suggest changes if code is not up to snuff. Later on we can devise some stricter means to select people and code.

By the way - does anyone know of a good "diff" utility that allows us to look at proposed changes and add comments to them etc.? We use one in-house at my employer and it's very very useful.

Andrei

On 04/27/2010 01:42 PM, Steve Schveighoffer wrote:
> I think Phobos should include this, it looks very well written:
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D.announce&article_id=18075
>
> It's very similar to the improvements I made to Tango a while back, but with well thought-out improvements to the interface to get it D2 shape.
>
> My preference would be to put the Span part into druntime, and the rest into a phobos module.  This allows things like Thread.sleep to use Span.
>
> -Steve
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> phobos mailing list
> phobos at puremagic.com
> http://lists.puremagic.com/mailman/listinfo/phobos
April 27, 2010
You have my vote for allowing those two contributors.

----- Original Message ----
> From: Andrei Alexandrescu <andrei at erdani.com>

>By the way -
> does anyone know of a good "diff" utility that allows us to
look at proposed
> changes and add comments to them etc.? We use one
in-house at my employer
> and it's very very useful.

trac's patch display (used on dsource) is quite good.

If we started using the dsource ticket system for discussing patches, we get email hooks too.

-Steve

April 28, 2010
On 04/27/2010 09:01 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Yes, and I'd like to extend an invitation to both the authors of the serialization library and the time library to join Phobos. All - do I have your agreement?

Yes from me.  I haven't gotten around to looking at the time library yet, but the serialisation library looks solid.

> Speaking of which: in case you're worried of too broad acceptance of people into Phobos, I think that's what we need to do right now. We finally have an email hook so anyone can take a look at what's checked in, and suggest changes if code is not up to snuff. Later on we can devise some stricter means to select people and code.
>
> By the way - does anyone know of a good "diff" utility that allows us to look at proposed changes and add comments to them etc.? We use one in-house at my employer and it's very very useful.

Sorry, I don't.  But an alternative would be to encourage creation of new branches in SVN when adding new features, like Steve did for std.process.

Then people can review the changes in the branch, discuss them on this list, and if it is approved it can be merged into trunk.

-Lars