Brad Roberts
Mar 03, 2006
Don Clugston
Mar 05, 2006
Thomas Kuehne
Mar 05, 2006
Brad Roberts
March 03, 2006
On linux with dmd 0.148, I'm seeing some odd linking issues that I haven't tracked down just yet.

$ cat test_box.d
import std.boxer;

int main()
{
    Box foo = box(1);
    int bar = unbox!(int)(foo);

return 0;
}

$ dmd -g -v
test_box.d
parse     test_box
semantic  test_box
semantic2 test_box
semantic3 test_box
code      test_box
generating code for function 'main'
generating code for function 'unbox'
generating code for function 'unboxCastInteger'
gcc test_box.o -o test_box -g -lphobos -lpthread -lm -Xlinker -L/workplace/bradrob/dmd-0.148/dmd/lib
test_box.o(.gnu.linkonce.t_D3std5boxer24__T16unboxCastIntegerTiZ16unboxCastIntegerFS3std5boxer3BoxZi+0x18): In function `_D3std5boxer24__T16unboxCastIntegerTiZ16unboxCastIntegerFS3std5boxer3BoxZi':
/workplace/bradrob/d-playground/test_box.d:5: undefined reference to `_assert_3std5boxer'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
--- errorlevel 1

Commenting out the assert in std/boxer.d inside unboxCastInteger(T) at line 429 allows the link to succeed.

Similarly, if I use something other than an int and hit one of the other unboxCast[pick a type] templates I get the same problem.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brad
March 03, 2006
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:38:00 -0800, Brad Roberts wrote:

> On linux with dmd 0.148, I'm seeing some odd linking issues that I haven't tracked down just yet.

On Windows, you have to compile anything that imports std.boxer with the "-release" switch to get the linker happy.

-- 
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)
Melbourne, Australia
"Down with mediocracy!"
3/03/2006 3:18:27 PM
March 03, 2006
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Derek Parnell wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:38:00 -0800, Brad Roberts wrote:
> 
> > On linux with dmd 0.148, I'm seeing some odd linking issues that I haven't tracked down just yet.
> 
> On Windows, you have to compile anything that imports std.boxer with the "-release" switch to get the linker happy.
> 
> -- 
> Derek
> (skype: derek.j.parnell)
> Melbourne, Australia
> "Down with mediocracy!"
> 3/03/2006 3:18:27 PM

Not a bad temporary work around, but only temporary since that disables all asserts.

Thanks,
Brad
March 03, 2006
Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:38:00 -0800, Brad Roberts wrote:
> 
>> On linux with dmd 0.148, I'm seeing some odd linking issues that I haven't tracked down just yet.
> 
> On Windows, you have to compile anything that imports std.boxer with the
> "-release" switch to get the linker happy.

Do we know the reason for that? Has it been reduced to a minimal test case?
March 05, 2006
Don Clugston schrieb am 2006-03-03:
> Derek Parnell wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:38:00 -0800, Brad Roberts wrote:
>> 
>>> On linux with dmd 0.148, I'm seeing some odd linking issues that I haven't tracked down just yet.
>> 
>> On Windows, you have to compile anything that imports std.boxer with the "-release" switch to get the linker happy.
>
> Do we know the reason for that?

DMD generates different symbols depending on the state of the "-release" switch.

> Has it been reduced to a minimal test case?

Not as far as I know.

Thomas

March 05, 2006
On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Thomas Kuehne wrote:

> Don Clugston schrieb am 2006-03-03:
> > Derek Parnell wrote:
> >> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:38:00 -0800, Brad Roberts wrote:
> >> 
> >>> On linux with dmd 0.148, I'm seeing some odd linking issues that I haven't tracked down just yet.
> >> 
> >> On Windows, you have to compile anything that imports std.boxer with the "-release" switch to get the linker happy.
> >
> > Do we know the reason for that?
> 
> DMD generates different symbols depending on the state of the "-release" switch.
> 
> > Has it been reduced to a minimal test case?
> 
> Not as far as I know.
> 
> Thomas

I tried a little bit to reduce the problem.  If you're looking for a single file contained test case then I'm not sure that's doable.  I suspect this might relate to the other threads going on right now about symbols changing visibility based on compiler options.

Random thought:  Now that dmd can produce .di files, THOSE are what should be used now rather than the full .d's during subsequent compilation.  I haven't checked their output, but I assume that the unused paths around version, debug, release, etc are omitted such that the .di file _exactly_ matches the .o/.obj files produced.

Later,
Brad