Is this according to the spec?

#void main(char[] args[])
#{
#	foreach(i,l;args[0]) {
#		printf("%c\n",l);
#		++i;
#	}
#}

I'm changing the key (index) inside the foreach, and foreach actually uses my index. The example above prints every other character.

L.
October 30, 2006
Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> Is this according to the spec?
> 
> #void main(char[] args[])
> #{
> #    foreach(i,l;args[0]) {
> #        printf("%c\n",l);
> #        ++i;
> #    }
> #}
> 
> I'm changing the key (index) inside the foreach, and foreach actually uses my index. The example above prints every other character.

I'd say this represents undefined behavior.  If the compiler simply converts the foreach to a for loop then you will see the above behavior, but it doesn't have to...

Sean
October 30, 2006
Lionello Lunesu wrote:

> Is this according to the spec?

No. According to the specs the index cannot be "inout" for arrays.

Therefore "++i" is allowed but should have no effect on the number of executions of the body of the foreach statement.
October 30, 2006
Karen Lanrap wrote:
> Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> 
> 
>>Is this according to the spec?
> 
> 
> No. According to the specs the index cannot be "inout" for arrays.
> 
> Therefore "++i" is allowed but should have no effect on the number of executions of the body of the foreach statement.

I don't believe the posted example used the index as 'inout' -- which is, indeed, considered illegal by the spec.  Instead it was a normal 'in' index, which was being manually advanced to skip an iteration.  As far as I am aware, no this isn't covered by the spec.  However, maybe it should be, and should be allowed; it is a very useful way to have consumer elements in things like parameter lists.  Or if we could get a "skip" analog to break/continue... which I think has been discussed to some depth before.

(I admit to having written a few snips of code that rely on this behavior.  Naughty? Sure.  But it worked like a charm.)

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls
October 30, 2006
Chris Nicholson-Sauls wrote:

> Instead it was a normal 'in' index, which was being manually advanced to skip an iteration.

That is impossible with 'in' parameters to a block.

Therefore indexes are buggily implemented as 'inout'.
October 31, 2006
Karen Lanrap wrote:
> Chris Nicholson-Sauls wrote:
> 
> 
>>Instead it was a normal 'in' index, which was being manually
>>advanced to skip an iteration.
> 
> 
> That is impossible with 'in' parameters to a block.
> 
> Therefore indexes are buggily implemented as 'inout'.  

I don't think that's the case.  Try foreaching over an associative array and setting the value of the key.  If the index were silently inout then the array would have differing data afterward, which it does not.

It is not a parameter, but a variable within a scope like any other.  Therefore, you can do essentially anything you want with it.  The fact that the loop is controlled by those changes, only means that the foreach is rewritten effeciently, by not making invisible temp variables to store loop state.  I would consider that a feature.

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls
October 31, 2006
Chris Nicholson-Sauls wrote:

> I would consider that a feature.

Why then to forbid "inout"?
October 31, 2006
Karen Lanrap wrote:
> Chris Nicholson-Sauls wrote:
> 
>> I would consider that a feature. 
> 
> Why then to forbid "inout"? 

Changing the key of an element in an AA would change the order of the items. And what would you expect changing the 'key' (=index) of an element in a normal array would do? (Move the element to a different index?)

L.
October 31, 2006
Lionello Lunesu wrote:

> what would you expect changing the 'key' (=index) of an element
> in a normal array would do?

Allowing for the "feature" Chris wants:

"inout i" == assignments to i change the number of iterations "      i" == no such change happens