Brad Anderson
Mar 19, 2004
J Anderson
Mar 19, 2004
Phill
Mar 20, 2004
John Reimer
March 13, 2004
I'm leaving for SDWest tomorrow, so won't be active here for a few days. For those that also will be at SDWest, see you there! -Walter

March 13, 2004
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:31:47 -0800, Walter wrote:

> I'm leaving for SDWest tomorrow, so won't be active here for a few days. For those that also will be at SDWest, see you there! -Walter

Wow the crowd, Walter! I wish I could be there.

Is there going to be a audio or video recording of your presentation?

March 14, 2004
"John Reimer" <jjreimer@telus.net> wrote in message news:pan.2004.03.13.22.43.54.486530@telus.net...
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:31:47 -0800, Walter wrote:
>
> > I'm leaving for SDWest tomorrow, so won't be active here for a few days.
For
> > those that also will be at SDWest, see you there! -Walter
>
> Wow the crowd, Walter! I wish I could be there.
>
> Is there going to be a audio or video recording of your presentation?

I doubt it, I didn't see anything about that in the stuff SDWest sent me.

March 14, 2004
In article <c3024p$uqk$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
>
>I'm leaving for SDWest tomorrow, so won't be active here for a few days. For those that also will be at SDWest, see you there! -Walter

good luck - maybe someone attending could give this forum a summary.

March 14, 2004
That stinks :S.  Id definetly like to see it also.

C
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:36:47 -0800, Walter <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:

>
> "John Reimer" <jjreimer@telus.net> wrote in message
> news:pan.2004.03.13.22.43.54.486530@telus.net...
>> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:31:47 -0800, Walter wrote:
>>
>> > I'm leaving for SDWest tomorrow, so won't be active here for a few 
>> days.
> For
>> > those that also will be at SDWest, see you there! -Walter
>>
>> Wow the crowd, Walter! I wish I could be there.
>>
>> Is there going to be a audio or video recording of your presentation?
>
> I doubt it, I didn't see anything about that in the stuff SDWest sent me.
>
>

-- 
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
March 15, 2004
Mark T wrote:
> 
> maybe someone attending could give this forum a summary.
> 

Will do...
March 15, 2004
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:13:50 -0600, Brad Anderson wrote:

> Mark T wrote:
>> 
>> maybe someone attending could give this forum a summary.
>> 
> 
> Will do...

Arghhh!!

Sorry just venting some jealousy ;-).

March 16, 2004
In article <c32vv6$2los$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Brad Anderson says...
>
>Mark T wrote:
>> 
>> maybe someone attending could give this forum a summary.
>> 
>
>Will do...

Suggest that this be done in the form of a Slashdot posting.

March 18, 2004
Mark T wrote:

> 
> good luck - maybe someone attending could give this forum a summary.
> 

Walter's presentation at SDWest went quite well.  It was in one of the upstairs rooms, smaller than the ballroom salons.  Walter knew there was a lot of content, so he started early, and that was fine with the already full room.  As more people came into the room, it was standing-room-only, even after more chairs were brought in.

Evidently, Walter doesn't care for Powerpoint because he went old-school on us.  Hand-written transparencies - this guy is a throw-back...

I felt like the first half-hour consisted of the people who were in attendance to throw stones at YAPL.  Once Walter sufficiently mowed them down with reason, facts, examples, and experience, the other hour went very smoothly.

He was constantly peppered with questions by Bruce Eckel, Chuck Allison, and a few others.  Almost all answers were met with Walter's reasons for doing things as well as the results of spirited discussions in this NG for the past few years.  A few questions represented some of the current issues being kicked around in the NG and that they were pending.

Some of the slides, upon being posted on the screen, drew out-loud "a-ha" and "of course" and "it's so simple" comments.  Not mumbled, but out loud for the entire room.  Those not commenting out loud were consistently nodding their heads in approval.  It was an advanced C++ crowd mostly, and I would say that they were completely wowed by Walter's efforts with D.

There wasn't enough time for all of the slides, but a good 15-20 people stayed around afterwards to see them, delaying a free lunch.

I thought it was a tremendous success in a crowd of harsh critics that were won over.  I don't know if there were enough people there to have traffic spike on the NG/WWW, but some influential programmers left with a very good impression of D.

BA
March 19, 2004
Brad Anderson wrote:

> Mark T wrote:
>
>> good luck - maybe someone attending could give this forum a summary.
>
>
> Walter's presentation at SDWest went quite well.  It was in one of the upstairs rooms, smaller than the ballroom salons.  Walter knew there was a lot of content, so he started early, and that was fine with the already full room.  As more people came into the room, it was standing-room-only, even after more chairs were brought in.
>
> Evidently, Walter doesn't care for Powerpoint because he went old-school on us.  Hand-written transparencies - this guy is a throw-back...
>
> I felt like the first half-hour consisted of the people who were in attendance to throw stones at YAPL.  Once Walter sufficiently mowed them down with reason, facts, examples, and experience, the other hour went very smoothly.
>
> He was constantly peppered with questions by Bruce Eckel, Chuck Allison, and a few others.  Almost all answers were met with Walter's reasons for doing things as well as the results of spirited discussions in this NG for the past few years.  A few questions represented some of the current issues being kicked around in the NG and that they were pending.
>
> Some of the slides, upon being posted on the screen, drew out-loud "a-ha" and "of course" and "it's so simple" comments.  Not mumbled, but out loud for the entire room.  Those not commenting out loud were consistently nodding their heads in approval.  It was an advanced C++ crowd mostly, and I would say that they were completely wowed by Walter's efforts with D.
>
> There wasn't enough time for all of the slides, but a good 15-20 people stayed around afterwards to see them, delaying a free lunch.
>
> I thought it was a tremendous success in a crowd of harsh critics that were won over.  I don't know if there were enough people there to have traffic spike on the NG/WWW, but some influential programmers left with a very good impression of D.
>
> BA

I'm sure everyone will agree, thanks for posting.  I really appreciate your third person view!

This should be a keeper along with Walters one of course.
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2