Thread overview
difference between static and nonstatic functions?
May 17, 2004
Sean Kelly
May 19, 2004
Stewart Gordon
May 20, 2004
Sean Kelly
May 20, 2004
Andy Friesen
May 17, 2004
Besides that function pointers can only point to static (nested) functions, is there any difference?

Sean

May 19, 2004
Sean Kelly wrote:

> Besides that function pointers can only point to static (nested) functions, is there any difference?

Welcome to OOP.

A static function is one that is a member of a class, but operates on the class itself, not on an object of the class.  Just as a static variable belongs to the class, rather than to each object of the class.  Hence there is no concept of 'this' in a static function.

class Qwert {
		static int yuiop;
		int asdfg;

static void hjkl() {
			printf("%d\n", yuiop);	// valid
			printf("%d\n", asdfg);	// invalid
		}

void zxcvb() {
			printf("%d\n", yuiop);	// valid
			printf("%d\n", asdfg);	// also valid
		}

static void nm() {
			hjkl();		// valid
			zxcvb();	// invalid
		}
	}

If you're nesting functions within functions, then the same applies. Here, the concept of 'object' is more or less replaced by 'stack frame', corresponding to a call to the enclosing function.

Stewart.

-- 
My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment.  Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
May 20, 2004
Stewart Gordon wrote:
> 
> If you're nesting functions within functions, then the same applies. Here, the concept of 'object' is more or less replaced by 'stack frame', corresponding to a call to the enclosing function.

Ah, that was what I was missing.  As C++ doesn't support nested functions I wasn't sure how the keyword applied outside of the class context.  Just to clarify, how does the classic definition of "static" as it applies to global symbols in C operate in D?  If I declare a global variable or free function static, does it have any effect at all?  Can I still assume that a D module and its imports rougly corresponds to a translation unit and that global statics will follow the classic visibility rules?

Sean

May 20, 2004
Sean Kelly wrote:
> Stewart Gordon wrote:
> 
>>
>> If you're nesting functions within functions, then the same applies. Here, the concept of 'object' is more or less replaced by 'stack frame', corresponding to a call to the enclosing function.
> 
> 
> Ah, that was what I was missing.  As C++ doesn't support nested functions I wasn't sure how the keyword applied outside of the class context.  Just to clarify, how does the classic definition of "static" as it applies to global symbols in C operate in D?  If I declare a global variable or free function static, does it have any effect at all?  Can I still assume that a D module and its imports rougly corresponds to a translation unit and that global statics will follow the classic visibility rules?

The C concept of static certainly does not apply to D.  If you want a symbol to be local to the module, use the 'private' access modifier instead.

I think static is ignored in the global scope. (I'm not sure if it ought to be a syntax error, as it might be handy in the case of mixins)

-- andy