Jul 07, 2004
Norbert Nemec
Jul 08, 2004
Walter
Jul 08, 2004
Norbert Nemec
Jul 08, 2004
Charles Hixson
Parameters vs arguments (was in/inout/out for arrays...)
Jul 08, 2004
Arcane Jill
Jul 07, 2004
Regan Heath
July 06, 2004
Using DMD 0.94, Windows 98SE.

I've long noticed a potential cause for confusion.  The passing of arrays as (address, length) tuples, while sensible on the whole, leads to counter-intuitive behaviour.  While it's logical to this form, it isn't what one might expect, and the spec doesn't clearly define the semantics of in/inout/out on arrays.

In short: if an array is passed as in, someone might think that the contents of the array are in, when in reality only the (address, length) tuple is in; the actual array contents are inout.

Of course, it's probably too late to clean up the semantics without breaking plenty of existing code.  But I suppose the main point is that the semantics we have need to be clearly explained.

Still, a possible idea for the future would be to allow the contents and dimensions to have separate in/inout/out settings.  The idea I came up with a while back is a notation like

void qwert(inout int[in] yuiop);

meaning that the length is in, and the contents are inout.  There would be six possibilities:

in int[in]
	"Give me an array to look at"
	Pass in (address, length); either disallow changes to data in the function body, or copy on entry if any changes can occur

inout int[in]
	"Give me the size and some starting data, and I'll play around with the data"
	Pass in (address, length); allow the contents to be modified in-place (current treatment of in int[], except that changing the length should be disallowed)

out int[in]
	"Give me the size, and I'll give you the data"
	Pass in (address, length); initialise the array elements on entry; allow the contents to be modified in-place

inout int[inout]
	"Give me an array, and I'll do what I like with it"
	Pass in reference to (address, length); anything goes (current treatment of inout int[])

out int[inout]
	"Give me a starting size, and I'll give you the data, changing the size if I want"
	Pass in reference to (address, length); initialise the array elements on entry; anything goes

out int[out]
	"I'll give you an array"
	Pass in reference to (address, length), which is initialised to null

Of course, the other combinations in[inout], in[out], inout[out] make little or no sense.

I guess the extension to arrays of arrays would be straightforward, but I'm not sure.

And combined with the existing system, while the syntax of my idea doesn't clash with it, it would cause confusion.  And it would probalby clash if we tried to extend it to static array parameters.  Maybe there's a better notation....

Stewart.

-- 
My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment.  Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
July 06, 2004
What you say is very true: we have a problem there that needs to be solved. Anyhow, I fear, documenting the current behavior is all we can do:

Regulating what the routine is allowed to do with the referenced data would be equal to going for const references, which you should not even mention if you want to live in peace with Walter....

In any case, one should be aware that the behavior of static arrays is defined even less. In some cases they have plain value semantics, in others they mimic the behavior of dynamic arrays being handled by reference. My preference would be to make a clear cut here and say: static arrays have value semantics throughout, dynamic arrays have reference semantics (unless you are using the magic of array/vector expressions, but that's a different topic)

There is some fundamental asymmetry between the two kinds of arrays anyway, so why not make it complete instead of trying to cover it up?

Stewart Gordon wrote:

> Using DMD 0.94, Windows 98SE.
> 
> I've long noticed a potential cause for confusion.  The passing of arrays as (address, length) tuples, while sensible on the whole, leads to counter-intuitive behaviour.  While it's logical to this form, it isn't what one might expect, and the spec doesn't clearly define the semantics of in/inout/out on arrays.
> 
> In short: if an array is passed as in, someone might think that the contents of the array are in, when in reality only the (address, length) tuple is in; the actual array contents are inout.
> 
> Of course, it's probably too late to clean up the semantics without breaking plenty of existing code.  But I suppose the main point is that the semantics we have need to be clearly explained.
> 
> 
> Still, a possible idea for the future would be to allow the contents and dimensions to have separate in/inout/out settings.  The idea I came up with a while back is a notation like
> 
> void qwert(inout int[in] yuiop);
> 
> meaning that the length is in, and the contents are inout.  There would be six possibilities:
> 
> 
> in int[in]
> "Give me an array to look at"
> Pass in (address, length); either disallow changes to data in the
> function body, or copy on entry if any changes can occur
> 
> inout int[in]
> "Give me the size and some starting data, and I'll play around with the
> data"
> Pass in (address, length); allow the contents to be modified in-place
> (current treatment of in int[], except that changing the length should
> be disallowed)
> 
> out int[in]
> "Give me the size, and I'll give you the data"
> Pass in (address, length); initialise the array elements on entry;
> allow the contents to be modified in-place
> 
> inout int[inout]
> "Give me an array, and I'll do what I like with it"
> Pass in reference to (address, length); anything goes (current
> treatment of inout int[])
> 
> out int[inout]
> "Give me a starting size, and I'll give you the data, changing the size
> if I want"
> Pass in reference to (address, length); initialise the array elements
> on entry; anything goes
> 
> out int[out]
> "I'll give you an array"
> Pass in reference to (address, length), which is initialised to null
> 
> 
> Of course, the other combinations in[inout], in[out], inout[out] make little or no sense.
> 
> I guess the extension to arrays of arrays would be straightforward, but I'm not sure.
> 
> And combined with the existing system, while the syntax of my idea doesn't clash with it, it would cause confusion.  And it would probalby clash if we tried to extend it to static array parameters.  Maybe there's a better notation....
> 
> Stewart.
> 

July 07, 2004
"Norbert Nemec" <Norbert.Nemec@gmx.de> wrote in message news:ccdu2u$2cjg$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> What you say is very true: we have a problem there that needs to be
solved.
> Anyhow, I fear, documenting the current behavior is all we can do:
>
> Regulating what the routine is allowed to do with the referenced data
would
> be equal to going for const references, which you should not even mention if you want to live in peace with Walter....
>
> In any case, one should be aware that the behavior of static arrays is defined even less. In some cases they have plain value semantics, in
others
> they mimic the behavior of dynamic arrays being handled by reference. My preference would be to make a clear cut here and say: static arrays have value semantics throughout, dynamic arrays have reference semantics
(unless
> you are using the magic of array/vector expressions, but that's a
different
> topic)
>
> There is some fundamental asymmetry between the two kinds of arrays
anyway,
> so why not make it complete instead of trying to cover it up?

All it comes down to is understanding the difference between a reference type and a value type. This isn't a problem unique to D, it happens in C++, Java, C#, Javascript, etc. Once this difference is understood, the semantics fall out in a straightforward manner and shouldn't cause confusion.

Arrays and classes are reference types. Structs and scalars are value types.

July 07, 2004
Walter wrote:

> All it comes down to is understanding the difference between a reference type and a value type. This isn't a problem unique to D, it happens in C++, Java, C#, Javascript, etc. Once this difference is understood, the semantics fall out in a straightforward manner and shouldn't cause confusion.

True. The problem is not about understanding the two kinds of *types* but understanding what in/out/inout do with them. The texts in the specs just is to vague about this:

First, the section "Function Parameters" should be renamed in "Function Arguments". Functions have arguments, templates have parameters. That is convention in C++ and I see little reason to mix this up in D. It becomes especially important for function templates which have both.

Then, what means "out and inout work like storage classes"?!? If that somehow refers to pass-by-reference then it should be said explicitely.

How are struct-in-arguments passed? Structs are value types, so they have value semantics when passed as in-arguments. This should be clearly stated, I think.

"out is rare enough, and inout even rarer"??!! One common reason to use inout is to enforce call-by-reference on large structs. There is good reason for that in many cases. The compiler cannot do the decision automatically. This would inout not-so-rare. "out" on the other hand might actually really be rather rare. Depends on the coding style, though, I guess.

> Arrays and classes are reference types. Structs and scalars are value types.

Wow - I just realized a fundamental misconception I always had about static arrays. And that after writing up a detailed proposal about arrays...

July 07, 2004
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:24:08 -0700, Walter <newshound@digitalmars.com> wrote:
> "Norbert Nemec" <Norbert.Nemec@gmx.de> wrote in message
> news:ccdu2u$2cjg$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>> What you say is very true: we have a problem there that needs to be
> solved.
>> Anyhow, I fear, documenting the current behavior is all we can do:
>>
>> Regulating what the routine is allowed to do with the referenced data
> would
>> be equal to going for const references, which you should not even mention
>> if you want to live in peace with Walter....
>>
>> In any case, one should be aware that the behavior of static arrays is
>> defined even less. In some cases they have plain value semantics, in
> others
>> they mimic the behavior of dynamic arrays being handled by reference. My
>> preference would be to make a clear cut here and say: static arrays have
>> value semantics throughout, dynamic arrays have reference semantics
> (unless
>> you are using the magic of array/vector expressions, but that's a
> different
>> topic)
>>
>> There is some fundamental asymmetry between the two kinds of arrays
> anyway,
>> so why not make it complete instead of trying to cover it up?
>
> All it comes down to is understanding the difference between a reference
> type and a value type. This isn't a problem unique to D, it happens in C++,
> Java, C#, Javascript, etc. Once this difference is understood, the semantics
> fall out in a straightforward manner and shouldn't cause confusion.
>
> Arrays and classes are reference types. Structs and scalars are value types.

I realise this.. but because they are different if you try to use them with a template eg.

class A {
  int val;
}

struct B {
  int val;
}

template Foo(T) {
  void Foo(T a) {
    a.val = 1;
  }
}

void main() {
  A a = new A();
  B b;

Foo!(A)(a);
  Foo!(B)(b);

//at this point a.val == 1
  printf("%d\n",a.val);
  //at this point b.val == 0
  printf("%d\n",b.val);
}

of course you *can* change the template to

template Foo(T) {
  void Foo(inout T a) {
    a.val = 1;
  }
}

and now it works.

If 'in' enforced 'const' the compiler would have given an error as soon as I tried to use the original template with a 'value' type.

I think the basic problem is consistency, and what 'in' (and other type modifiers) apply to. In the case of a 'value' type 'in' applies to the contents of that type, yet, in the case of a 'reference' type 'in' applies to the reference itself.

The same is true for 'const' eg.

const char[10] foo;

the 'reference' foo is const, the data is not. Furthermore it seems to have no effect on a 'value' type eg.

const B global;
//at this point global.val == 0
global.val = 5;
//at this point global.val == 5

Regan

-- 
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
July 08, 2004
"Norbert Nemec" <Norbert.Nemec@gmx.de> wrote in message news:cchipu$1oof$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Walter wrote:
>
> > All it comes down to is understanding the difference between a reference type and a value type. This isn't a problem unique to D, it happens in C++, Java, C#, Javascript, etc. Once this difference is understood, the semantics fall out in a straightforward manner and shouldn't cause confusion.
> True. The problem is not about understanding the two kinds of *types* but understanding what in/out/inout do with them. The texts in the specs just is to vague about this:

Ok, I can fix that.

> First, the section "Function Parameters" should be renamed in "Function Arguments". Functions have arguments, templates have parameters. That is convention in C++ and I see little reason to mix this up in D. It becomes especially important for function templates which have both.

Not my understanding. A "parameter" is the declaration for the symbol, an
"argument" is the value passed to that symbol:
    int foo(int x);        // x is a parameter
    foo(3);                // 3 is the argument
This applies to both templates and functions.

> Then, what means "out and inout work like storage classes"?!? If that somehow refers to pass-by-reference then it should be said explicitely.
>
> How are struct-in-arguments passed? Structs are value types, so they have value semantics when passed as in-arguments. This should be clearly
stated,
> I think.
>
> "out is rare enough, and inout even rarer"??!! One common reason to use inout is to enforce call-by-reference on large structs. There is good reason for that in many cases. The compiler cannot do the decision automatically. This would inout not-so-rare. "out" on the other hand might actually really be rather rare. Depends on the coding style, though, I guess.
>
> > Arrays and classes are reference types. Structs and scalars are value types.
>
> Wow - I just realized a fundamental misconception I always had about
static
> arrays. And that after writing up a detailed proposal about arrays...
>

July 08, 2004
Walter wrote:

> Not my understanding. A "parameter" is the declaration for the symbol, an
> "argument" is the value passed to that symbol:
>     int foo(int x);        // x is a parameter
>     ...
>     foo(3);                // 3 is the argument
> This applies to both templates and functions.

Ouch - this goes contrary to everything I've believed so far. But well - arguing is pointless in such an issue. I'll probably have to adjust here.

Do you have precedence for that terminology? Would be interesting to see what the C/C++ gurus used.

July 08, 2004
In article <cchipu$1oof$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Norbert Nemec says...

>First, the section "Function Parameters" should be renamed in "Function Arguments". Functions have arguments, templates have parameters. That is convention in C++ and I see little reason to mix this up in D. It becomes especially important for function templates which have both.

I got news for you, dude. I've been alive for longer than templates have existed. In fact, I've been alive for longer than C++, and even C, have existed. And I can tell you from personal memory that the word "parameter" existed before the advent of templates, C++, and C. And, according to my recollection, the definition of the word has not changed over time.

I've never had to put my finger on a precise definition before, but I'd say Walter's description agrees with my usage.

Arcane Jill

July 08, 2004
Norbert Nemec wrote:
> Walter wrote:
> 
> 
>>Not my understanding. A "parameter" is the declaration for the symbol, an
>>"argument" is the value passed to that symbol:
>>    int foo(int x);        // x is a parameter
>>    ...
>>    foo(3);                // 3 is the argument
>>This applies to both templates and functions.
> 
> 
> Ouch - this goes contrary to everything I've believed so far. But well -
> arguing is pointless in such an issue. I'll probably have to adjust here.
> 
> Do you have precedence for that terminology? Would be interesting to see
> what the C/C++ gurus used.
> 
I'm not a C/C++ guru, but when I was taking Fortran (wayyyy back) that's the way my instructors used the terms.  I think that they were picking up the usage from the Algol people, but I was never sure.