Ant
Oct 06, 2004
Walter
Oct 07, 2004
Mark T
Oct 07, 2004
Ant
October 06, 2004
I tried the gdb debuger with the hello.d from the D samples, it gives "unrecognized format" or something like that.

is it possible to use gdb with dmd and the dm linker on windows?

Ant

October 06, 2004
I assume you're using cygwin or maybe mingw? I think someone else has tried using dmd with cygwin though I can't remember exactly. Check out the d.gnu newsgroup

"Ant" <Ant_member@pathlink.com> wrote in message news:ck0rbi$2cn1$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> I tried the gdb debuger with the hello.d from the D samples, it gives "unrecognized format" or something like that.
>
> is it possible to use gdb with dmd and the dm linker on windows?
>
> Ant
>
>

October 06, 2004
In article <ck0u4o$2fao$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
>
>I assume you're using cygwin or maybe mingw?

mingw, I was surprise I had to download ONLY the gdb.exe. I was afraid I had to install lots and lots of dlls and support progs.

>I think someone else has tried
>using dmd with cygwin though I can't remember exactly. Check out the d.gnu
>newsgroup

does it means it doesn't work with dmd? I'm trying to avoid installing gcc on windows.

I'm trying to have my D windows environment on my 128M
USB flash memory thing - so far it's more than enough; including
the GTK+ libs.

Ant

October 06, 2004
Ant schrieb:

> I tried the gdb debuger with the hello.d from the D samples,
> it gives "unrecognized format" or something like that.

Right.

> is it possible to use gdb with dmd and the dm linker on windows?

No, it shouldn't. DMD only has one debug information format (CodeView), which is not among what gdb knows.

CodeView format has changed a number of times, thus a fairly large MS library is requiered to process it uniformly.

You can rip dbgeng.dll, dbghelp.dll and cdb.exe from Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows NT/2000/XP to get a command-line debugger, about 3 megabytes total.

-eye
October 06, 2004
In article <ck1bab$2tdk$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Ilya Minkov says...
>
>Ant schrieb:
>
>> I tried the gdb debuger with the hello.d from the D samples, it gives "unrecognized format" or something like that.
>
>Right.
>
>> is it possible to use gdb with dmd and the dm linker on windows?
>
>No, it shouldn't. DMD only has one debug information format (CodeView), which is not among what gdb knows.
>
>CodeView format has changed a number of times, thus a fairly large MS library is requiered to process it uniformly.
>
>You can rip dbgeng.dll, dbghelp.dll and cdb.exe from Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows NT/2000/XP to get a command-line debugger, about 3 megabytes total.
>
>-eye

thanks, I'll try that.

Ant

October 06, 2004
"Ilya Minkov" <minkov@cs.tum.edu> wrote in message news:ck1bab$2tdk$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Ant schrieb:
>
> > I tried the gdb debuger with the hello.d from the D samples, it gives "unrecognized format" or something like that.
>
> Right.
>
> > is it possible to use gdb with dmd and the dm linker on windows?
>
> No, it shouldn't. DMD only has one debug information format (CodeView), which is not among what gdb knows.
>
> CodeView format has changed a number of times, thus a fairly large MS library is requiered to process it uniformly.

The version of DMD I'm currently working on does a lot better job of putting out Codeview 4 symbolic debug info. Windbg.exe works fine with it.

I'm also trying to figure out the dwarf2 format so that we can at least get line numbers for elf debugging.

October 07, 2004
In article <ck1bab$2tdk$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Ilya Minkov says...
>
>CodeView format has changed a number of times, thus a fairly large MS library is requiered to process it uniformly.
>
>You can rip dbgeng.dll, dbghelp.dll and cdb.exe from Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows NT/2000/XP to get a command-line debugger, about 3 megabytes total.

Does come with Visual C++ 6?
Visual .NET 7.1 ?

or where else do you find these
thanks

October 07, 2004
In article <ck4396$2094$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Mark T says...
>
>In article <ck1bab$2tdk$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Ilya Minkov says...
>>
>>CodeView format has changed a number of times, thus a fairly large MS library is requiered to process it uniformly.
>>
>>You can rip dbgeng.dll, dbghelp.dll and cdb.exe from Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows NT/2000/XP to get a command-line debugger, about 3 megabytes total.
>
>Does come with Visual C++ 6?
>Visual .NET 7.1 ?
>
>or where else do you find these
>thanks
>
google give this back:
http://www.wxwindows.org/lnk_msw.htm

check the "here" link.

Ant