May 17, 2012
On Monday, 14 May 2012 at 11:34:22 UTC, Thomas Mader wrote:
> On Thursday, 26 April 2012 at 17:00:25 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 25 April 2012 at 23:54:23 UTC, Ary Manzana wrote:
>>> Many people have the shortcut jj as an alternative to Esc. You never move your hand from the keyboard. :-P
>>
>> Or the caps lock key, which I personally use. Can't believe how I managed to survive for years without rebinding it… ;)
>>
>> David
>
> I would be interested in your key bindings in general. In my opinion many of the keybindings are very uncomfortable with a german keyboard layout do you use another layout? (I know you are from Austria because of your website. I am too)
> Do you use vim for D programming?
>
> Thomas

There is no vim vs IDE, because QtCreator works well (at least for C++) and has an awesome vim mode. You get the shortcuts from IDE (like commenting, searching for a function in the hole project by name etc, refactoring, etc) and the vim commandos. I use different editors and IDEs, but a vi-mode is a must have for me.

If you need a german keyboard layout* you need www.neo-layout.org. You'll have to spend ~3 weeks to learn it and it is worth it.

Some highlights:

you get arrowkeys, enter, pageup, pagedown, tab, backspace and a full numblock on Mod4. That means that you can do basic movements without leaving your current
vi mode :-) The arrowkeys reside directly under your left hand on ESDF. That's even the same I use for playing games.
And these keys tend to change their position between different keyboards. Now they have a fixed position.

you get most characters commonly used for programming on your homerow:
\/{}*?()-:@

So I can insert {} with CAPSLOCK (the Mod3) + 'd' or 'f'. I still can type QWERTZ with reasonable speed, but I can't stand programming with QWERTZ anymore.

All alphabetical characters are rearranged. That's makes this layout harder to learn, but much much easier to type. I recommend to take the time and learn it, however if you can't or don't want to afford it, you could leave the position of the alphabetical characters (MOD1 and MOD2) basically untouched and integrate MODX, x >= 3 into QWERTZ. It would still be a really good layout for programming.

May 18, 2012
On 23/04/2012 23:09, Jay Norwood wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 June 2011 at 16:54:17 UTC, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> It seems to be article season, and I'm on a bit of a punditry mood, so
>> here's a blog post I wrote recently:
>>
>
>   Ddt does an amazingly good job at finding references and definitions.
> Any regrets about going the DLTK route?

Nope, they saved a lot of work by offering lots of advanced IDE insfrastructure and funcionality, and should continue to do so in the future. That is not to say there are a few shortcomings with DLTK, it seems a bit more chaotic and less documented than other projects under the Eclipse Foundation umbrella (and the API is quite messy on a few things), but it's still good overall. I'm hoping to work more closely with the DLTK guys in the future to address this.

-- 
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer
1 2 3 4
Next ›   Last »