On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 20:35:18 UTC, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> [snip]
>
> There it is.
>
> Well, better late than never.
>
> thanks!

Yeah, that's one I've been hit by too. Thanks for bringing some attention on these.
January 19, 2022
On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 09:06:33PM +0000, jmh530 via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
> Yeah, that's one I've been hit by too. Thanks for bringing some attention on these.

This thread has done a lot of good in bringing attention to bugs that have been bothering people. We should do this more often.

(1) File all the bugs you find.
(2) If a bug is being neglected, complain about it on the forums until
somebody takes action.

T

-- 
Today's society is one of specialization: as you grow, you learn more and more about less and less. Eventually, you know everything about nothing.
January 19, 2022
On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 21:17:40 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 09:06:33PM +0000, jmh530 via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>> Yeah, that's one I've been hit by too. Thanks for bringing some attention on these.
>
> This thread has done a lot of good in bringing attention to bugs that have been bothering people. We should do this more often.
>
> (1) File all the bugs you find.
> (2) If a bug is being neglected, complain about it on the forums until
> somebody takes action.
>
>
> T

If that's what it takes to get a bug actioned, we really do need a separate section under Community -> NeglectedBugComplaints

btw. thanks for your great efforts with this -profile=gc issue, really appreciated :-)
January 19, 2022
On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 19:45:40 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/18/2022 1:37 PM, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
>> https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8102
>> 
>> *10 years old*
>
> This was fixed a while ago.

Thanks for your ongoing efforts too :-)
January 19, 2022
I want to add that the age of a bug has no bearing on priority of fixing it.

The priority of a bug is some combination of (in no particular order):

1. number of users affected by the bug
2. is the bug preventing those users from getting work done
3. how costly the bug is to users
4. the time it takes to fix the bug
5. is the bug clearly specified and reproducible
January 19, 2022
On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 09:33:23PM +0000, forkit via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 21:17:40 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> > (1) File all the bugs you find.
> > (2) If a bug is being neglected, complain about it on the forums
> > until somebody takes action.
[...]
> If that's what it takes to get a bug actioned, we really do need a separate section under Community -> NeglectedBugComplaints

Nah, you don't want to do that.  Once bug complaints are shuffled off to their own corner, people start ignoring that corner and we wind up back where we started. :-P

> btw. thanks for your great efforts with this -profile=gc issue, really appreciated :-)

Spoiler: I'm just another random D user with a bit of spare time. *You* can probably contribute to fixing bugs in D too.[*] If everyone would take action instead of waiting around for somebody else to do it, we'd probably be in a better place today.

([*] If you have a working knowledge of D, you probably know enough to be able to fix bugs in druntime or Phobos. Or even implement a new feature or two.  IME, they are orders of magnitude more readable than the majority of standard libraries out there (I tried reading glibc source code once -- never again!).  DMD is a little trickier, depending on where a problem is, but it's still a more pleasant experience than, say, firefox source code or something.  Or, God forbid, gcc. That one I don't even dare touch with a 50-foot pole.)

T

-- 
I think Debian's doing something wrong, `apt-get install pesticide', doesn't seem to remove the bugs on my system! -- Mike Dresser
January 19, 2022
On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 22:15:49 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
> Spoiler: I'm just another random D user with a bit of spare time. *You* can probably contribute to fixing bugs in D too.[*] If everyone would take action instead of waiting around for somebody else to do it, we'd probably be in a better place today.
>

My contribution to D, will be almost certainly be limited to using D ;-)

contributing to fixing bugs should never be a prerequiste for using D.

having said that, I understand it's an ongoing community project, so if I can, I certainly will (but at the moment I'm focused on using it, not fixing bugs).

January 19, 2022
On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 22:31:33 UTC, forkit wrote:
>

oh. actually.. I am focused on fixing bugs too, but the bugs in my own code.. due to not yet understanding many aspects of D...

that's taking up enough of my time ;-)

January 19, 2022
On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 22:31:33 UTC, forkit wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 22:15:49 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>>
>> Spoiler: I'm just another random D user with a bit of spare time. *You* can probably contribute to fixing bugs in D too.[*] If everyone would take action instead of waiting around for somebody else to do it, we'd probably be in a better place today.
>>
>
> My contribution to D, will be almost certainly be limited to using D ;-)

I like how the bar for contributing is made really really low. With the “Improve this page” link that exist on every page of the documentation, editing is almost as easy as on a wiki. I’m not a wizard but I can spot a typo or a dead link, and it is fun to fix those right away. These fixes also get merged quickly (the review is easy). And once you are in the source code you can’t help but look at the implementation, and notice how readable most of it is, really. It is nice to have a few of those trivial fixes under my belt, because now I know the process and thus it is a little more likely that I might contribute more materially, some day.

— Bastiaan.
January 19, 2022
On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 10:31:33PM +0000, forkit via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 22:15:49 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > 
> > Spoiler: I'm just another random D user with a bit of spare time. *You* can probably contribute to fixing bugs in D too.[*] If everyone would take action instead of waiting around for somebody else to do it, we'd probably be in a better place today.
> > 
> 
> My contribution to D, will be almost certainly be limited to using D ;-)
> 
> contributing to fixing bugs should never be a prerequiste for using D.
[...]

Never said it was a prerequisite.  Rather, it's a way to take control and fix problems yourself, and in the process benefit other D users as well. As opposed to, y'know, begging or hoping that the Powers That Be would take notice of your plight and condescend to make your life a little better -- the way things are when dealing with proprietary software.

No one *has* to, of course.  But all I'm saying is, you *can*.

T

-- 
He who laughs last thinks slowest.