May 01, 2007
Georg Wrede wrote:
> If the organisers were smart, they'd announce no podcasting. Such announcements only tend to reduce the number of participants. ("Hey, why would I pay too much for the trip when I can view the stuff on my screen the next day?" Not all, but some (especially the economically pressed, like students, smallest entrepreneurs, married folks, etc.) would choose to stay home. Bad for business. The possible podcasts would then appear as nice surprises to those who really couldn't come. (Besides, no use committing to something one can't guarantee to deliver.)

My experience with conferences is that the true value is not in the presentations, it's the face-to-face discussions. That'll never be achieved with email, podcasts, or even video conferencing. The presentations just act as a seed for those other discussions.

> OTOH, the "Post your questions, we'll ask the speaker!" idea is just excellent!!

I like that, too.
May 02, 2007
Georg Wrede wrote:
> BCS wrote:
>> David B. Held wrote:
>>> Brad Roberts wrote:
>>>
>>>>     http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
>>>>
>>>> If you will be attending, please click on the registration link.  There isn't an entrance fee or anything like that, but I do need to get a fairly accurate count of who will be attending.
>>>>
>>>> I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.. mark your calendars, August 23 and 24, 2007.
>>>
>>> Is there going to be any kind of podcasting or live video option for those that can't make it in person?  It would also be cool if there were like a remote-email-question-submission thingy available for Q&A.  After all, the D community is quite global, so why not try to make the conference global too?
>>
>> How about a special newsgroup:
>>  "Post your questions, we'll ask the speaker!"
> 
> If the organisers were smart, they'd announce no podcasting. Such announcements only tend to reduce the number of participants. ("Hey, why would I pay too much for the trip when I can view the stuff on my screen the next day?" Not all, but some (especially the economically pressed, like students, smallest entrepreneurs, married folks, etc.) would choose to stay home. Bad for business. The possible podcasts would then appear as nice surprises to those who really couldn't come. (Besides, no use committing to something one can't guarantee to deliver.)
> 
> OTOH, the "Post your questions, we'll ask the speaker!" idea is just excellent!!

Ahem.. you'll notice that I've not replied to the question yet. :)

As to the 'ask the speakers questions bit'.. Do that here.  Why do you want to wait a bunch of months to ask a question when you could do so right now, no waiting, no muss, no fuss.

To explicitly address the original question.  I doubt I'll be able to arrange live broadcasting of the conference.  There's a number of issues with that, the above being just one of them.  I hope to have recordings publishable after the fact, but I haven't worked out the details of that yet, though it's on my issues list.

Later,
Brad
May 02, 2007
Brad Roberts wrote:
> I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.. mark your calendars, August 23 and 24, 2007.

Brad,

This sounds fantastic!  Can you give us approximate times on the 23rd and 24th so that we may plan air travel accordingly?

Thanks,
Steve
May 23, 2007
It's been about a month, so it's time for another update and reminder about the up coming D conference.  I'm pleased at the number of people that have registered.  We're going to have quite a crowd (though will also have enough space not to be crowded).

Since the last update I've arm-twisted, er.. talked, several additional speakers.  Here's the complete list:

Andrei Alexandrescu    To Be Announced
  Brad Anderson          DSource
  Walter Bright          To Be Announced
  Don Clugston           Generating Truly Optimal Code with a
                         Metaprogramming Library
  Sean Kelly             Tango
  Kirk McDonald          Pyd: Connecting D and Python
  Gregor Richards        The D Development Stack: Life Above the
                         Compiler
  Benjamin Shropshire    Template Meta-Program Parser Generator
  Cristian Vlasceanu     Anatomy of a Debugger

For more information, head over to the website.  I added a FAQ after the last posting to capture some of the questions and the answers to them.

http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/

As before, if you will be attending and haven't yet registered, please click on the registration link.  There isn't an entrance fee or anything like that, but I do need to get a fairly accurate count of who will be attending.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.  Mark your calendars for August 23 and 24, 2007.

If you have specific questions, concerns, or whatever, feel free to send me mail: braddr@puremagic.com.

Later,
Brad
May 23, 2007
Brad Roberts wrote:
> It's been about a month, so it's time for another update and reminder about the up coming D conference.  I'm pleased at the number of people that have registered.  We're going to have quite a crowd (though will also have enough space not to be crowded).
> 
> Since the last update I've arm-twisted, er.. talked, several additional speakers.  Here's the complete list:
> 
>   Andrei Alexandrescu    To Be Announced
>   Brad Anderson          DSource
>   Walter Bright          To Be Announced
>   Don Clugston           Generating Truly Optimal Code with a
>                          Metaprogramming Library
>   Sean Kelly             Tango
>   Kirk McDonald          Pyd: Connecting D and Python
>   Gregor Richards        The D Development Stack: Life Above the
>                          Compiler
>   Benjamin Shropshire    Template Meta-Program Parser Generator
>   Cristian Vlasceanu     Anatomy of a Debugger
> 
> For more information, head over to the website.  I added a FAQ after the last posting to capture some of the questions and the answers to them.
> 
>      http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/
> 
> As before, if you will be attending and haven't yet registered, please click on the registration link.  There isn't an entrance fee or anything like that, but I do need to get a fairly accurate count of who will be attending.
> 
> I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.  Mark your calendars for August 23 and 24, 2007.
> 
> If you have specific questions, concerns, or whatever, feel free to send me mail: braddr@puremagic.com.

Looks like fun.  I'm sorry I won't be able to make it from over here in Japan.

Are there any plans for code sprints?  I'm not sure what they would be about ... maybe implementing missing functionality for Tango, or possibly related to the Win32 headers or something.  Just a thought.  Or maybe documentation sprints?  Seems a shame to get so many coders together and not code something.

--bb
May 23, 2007
> Are there any plans for code sprints?  I'm not sure what they would be about ... maybe implementing missing functionality for Tango, or possibly related to the Win32 headers or something.  Just a thought.  Or maybe documentation sprints?  Seems a shame to get so many coders together and not code something.
> 
> --bb

I gotta disagree.  It'd be a shame to spend the time and money to get this many people together to do a bunch of typing that they could just as well do from home.  Face to face time is so rare that it should be spent doing things that are hard to do from the comfort of home.  That said, I'll certainly have space available for people who do feel the desire to design on a white board, or huddle around a laptop, or whatever.

Later,
Brad
May 23, 2007
"Brad Roberts" <braddr@puremagic.com> wrote in message news:mailman.35.1179896740.16939.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com...
>   Andrei Alexandrescu    To Be Announced
>   Brad Anderson          DSource
>   Walter Bright          To Be Announced
>   Don Clugston           Generating Truly Optimal Code with a
>                          Metaprogramming Library
>   Sean Kelly             Tango
>   Kirk McDonald          Pyd: Connecting D and Python
>   Gregor Richards        The D Development Stack: Life Above the
>                          Compiler
>   Benjamin Shropshire    Template Meta-Program Parser Generator
>   Cristian Vlasceanu     Anatomy of a Debugger
>

There are two Romanians on this list.  _Something is up_.

;)

May 26, 2007
Op Tue, 22 May 2007 22:37:49 -0700
schreef Brad Roberts <braddr@puremagic.com>:

> > Are there any plans for code sprints?  I'm not sure what they would be about ... maybe implementing missing functionality for Tango, or possibly related to the Win32 headers or something.  Just a thought.  Or maybe documentation sprints?  Seems a shame to get so many coders together and not code something.

> I gotta disagree.  It'd be a shame to spend the time and money to get this many people together to do a bunch of typing that they could just as well do from home.  Face to face time is so rare that it should be spent doing things that are hard to do from the comfort of home.  That said, I'll certainly have space available for people who do feel the desire to design on a white board, or huddle around a laptop, or whatever.

Code sprints are often held just before or after a conference, not during a conference.  The advantage being that everybody is at the same place already.

See for example: <http://us.pycon.org/TX2007/Sprinting>

-- 
Jan Claeys
1 2 3
Next ›   Last »