Paul Backus
Aug 29, 2021
jfondren
Aug 29, 2021
Paul Backus
January 18, 2019
I have the following line of code:

temp[fowardI] = temp[fowardI] + temp[backwardI];

Where temp is a byte array (byte[]). When I try to compile it dmd gives me this error:

source/hash.d(11,25): Error: cannot implicitly convert expression `cast(int)temp[fowardI] + cast(int)temp[backwardI]` of type `int` to `byte`
/usr/bin/dmd failed with exit code 1.

Meaning that the byte type doesn't have a + operator. I know by experience that the pitfall came from C# (which I also use), and the absence of the operator was justified because the CLI didn't support addition between values smaller than an int, and also byte wasn't enough "numberish" to be used as such, and I should have used int instead.

But why the D language doesn't implement the operator on byte?
January 18, 2019
On 1/18/19 12:09 PM, Mek101 wrote:
> I have the following line of code:
> 
>      temp[fowardI] = temp[fowardI] + temp[backwardI];
> 
> Where temp is a byte array (byte[]). When I try to compile it dmd gives me this error:
> 
>      source/hash.d(11,25): Error: cannot implicitly convert expression `cast(int)temp[fowardI] + cast(int)temp[backwardI]` of type `int` to `byte`
> /usr/bin/dmd failed with exit code 1.
> 
> Meaning that the byte type doesn't have a + operator. I know by experience that the pitfall came from C# (which I also use), and the absence of the operator was justified because the CLI didn't support addition between values smaller than an int, and also byte wasn't enough "numberish" to be used as such, and I should have used int instead.
> 
> But why the D language doesn't implement the operator on byte?

What is 127 + 127? Answer: 254. Which if converted to a byte is -127. Not what you might expect if you are doing addition.

In fact, D promotes all integral types smaller than int to int to do arithmetic. And if the result might not fit into what you are assigning it to, it requires a cast or mask.

See documentation here: https://dlang.org/spec/type.html#usual-arithmetic-conversions

-Steve
January 18, 2019
On Friday, 18 January 2019 at 17:09:52 UTC, Mek101 wrote:
> Meaning that the byte type doesn't have a + operator.

Well, it DOES have a + operator, it just returns int that can be squished to a size if and only if the compiler proves it fits.

A bit of background: the C language was designed on a machine that did arithmetic in a fixed size register. It defined `int` to be at least the size of this register and for all arithmetic to be expanded to at least that same size.

In other words, anything smaller than an `int` is converted to an `int` before operations are done to it.

D (and C# via the CLR being designed in the same way, among other languages) inherited this rule from C. So a + a will be converted to int for anything smaller than int, like byte or short.

Now the difference between C and D is that C would let you assign that result right back to the small type without complaining, whereas D issues the error. Why?

The reason is the carry bit. Consider the case of 127 + 127. The answer is too big to fit in a signed byte; one bit will carry over and be dropped. D considers this potential data loss and wants you to make a conscious choice about it via an explicit cast.

If the compiler knows for certain the numbers will fit, it allows it. Like 64 + 5 will implicitly cast to a byte because the compiler sees the size of the result. But for runtime values, it is usually unsure and forces you to do the cast.

temp[fowardI] = cast(byte) (temp[fowardI] + temp[backwardI]);

that will work.
January 18, 2019
On Friday, 18 January 2019 at 17:09:52 UTC, Mek101 wrote:
> Where temp is a byte array (byte[])

Oh btw, D's byte is signed, range -128 to 127, unlike C# where it is unsigned.

C#'s `byte` is represented as D's `ubyte` (meaning "unsigned byte"), range 0-255.
January 18, 2019
On Friday, 18 January 2019 at 17:15:09 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> What is 127 + 127? Answer: 254. Which if converted to a byte is -127. Not what you might expect if you are doing addition.

Quite similar to int.max + int.max

> In fact, D promotes all integral types smaller than int to int to do arithmetic. And if the result might not fit into what you are assigning it to, it requires a cast or mask.

Then why isn't int + int = long? If i did the example above, they wouldn't fit in a int for sure, yet the result is of the same type. Why should byte be any different?
January 18, 2019
On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 05:09:52PM +0000, Mek101 via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> I have the following line of code:
> 
>     temp[fowardI] = temp[fowardI] + temp[backwardI];
> 
> Where temp is a byte array (byte[]). When I try to compile it dmd
> gives me this error:
> 
>     source/hash.d(11,25): Error: cannot implicitly convert expression
> `cast(int)temp[fowardI] + cast(int)temp[backwardI]` of type `int` to `byte`
> /usr/bin/dmd failed with exit code 1.
> 
> Meaning that the byte type doesn't have a + operator. I know by experience that the pitfall came from C# (which I also use), and the absence of the operator was justified because the CLI didn't support addition between values smaller than an int, and also byte wasn't enough "numberish" to be used as such, and I should have used int instead.
> 
> But why the D language doesn't implement the operator on byte?

For much the same reasons, and also that both C# and C inherited (to various extents) C's integer promotion rules.  Personally, I hate it, but it's what we have, and changing it now would break too many things, so we're stuck with it.

Basically, arithmetic on everything smaller than an int will implicitly promote to int first. Which means the result will be int. But unlike C, where you can implicitly narrow it back to a byte, in D the narrowing must be explicit (to avoid accidental overflow when a narrow int type like byte or short is too small to store the result), resulting in the annoying situation where byte + byte != byte.

To work around this, you can use my nopromote module (code included below), that implements a wrapper type that automatically casts back to the narrow int type:

ubyte x = 1;
	ubyte y = 2;
	auto z = x.np + y; // np stands for "no promote"
	static assert(is(typeof(x) == ubyte));
	assert(z == 3);

x = 255;
	z = x.np + y;	// don't promote to int, so this will wrap
	assert(z == 1);	// wrapped around to 1

Check the unittests for more examples.

OT1H, having to write .np everywhere is annoying, but OTOH it does document intent in the code, that you're expecting wraparound and have presumably taken the necessary precautions to mitigate any ill-effects that wrapping may have, so in that sense it's a good thing.

T

-- 
It is widely believed that reinventing the wheel is a waste of time; but I disagree: without wheel reinventers, we would be still be stuck with wooden horse-cart wheels.

-----------------------------------snip----------------------------------
/**
 * Truncating wrapper around built-in narrow ints to work around stupid casts.
 */
module nopromote;

enum isNarrowInt(T) = is(T : int) || is(T : uint);

/**
 * A wrapper around a built-in narrow int that truncates the result of
 * arithmetic operations to the narrow type, overriding built-in int promotion
 * rules.
 */
struct Np(T)
    if (isNarrowInt!T)
{
    T impl;
    alias impl this;

/**
     * Truncating binary operator.
     */
    Np opBinary(string op, U)(U u)
        if (is(typeof((T x, U y) => mixin("x " ~ op ~ " y"))))
    {
        return Np(cast(T) mixin("this.impl " ~ op ~ " u"));
    }

/**
     * Truncating unary operator.
     */
    Np opUnary(string op)()
        if (is(typeof((T x) => mixin(op ~ "cast(int) x"))))
    {
        return Np(cast(T) mixin(op ~ " cast(int) this.impl"));
    }

/**
     * Infectiousness: any expression containing Np should automatically use Np
     * operator semantics.
     */
    Np opBinaryRight(string op, U)(U u)
        if (is(typeof((T x, U y) => mixin("x " ~ op ~ " y"))))
    {
        return Np(cast(T) mixin("u " ~ op ~ " this.impl"));
    }
}

/**
 * Returns: A lightweight wrapped type that overrides built-in arithmetic
 * operators to always truncate to the given type without promoting to int or
 * uint.
 */
auto np(T)(T t)
    if (isNarrowInt!T)
{
    return Np!T(t);
}

// Test binary ops
@safe unittest
{
    ubyte x = 1;
    ubyte y = 2;
    auto z = x.np + y;
    static assert(is(typeof(z) : ubyte));
    assert(z == 3);

byte zz = x.np + y;
    assert(zz == 3);

x = 255;
    z = x.np + y;
    assert(z == 1);
}

@safe unittest
{
    byte x = 123;
    byte y = 5;
    auto z = x.np + y;
    static assert(is(typeof(z) : byte));
    assert(z == byte.min);

byte zz = x.np + y;
    assert(zz == byte.min);
}

@safe unittest
{
    import std.random;
    short x = cast(short) uniform(0, 10);
    short y = 10;
    auto z = x.np + y;
    static assert(is(typeof(z) : short));
    assert(z == x + 10);

short s = x.np + y;
    assert(s == x + 10);
}

// Test unary ops
@safe unittest
{
    byte b = 10;
    auto c = -b.np;
    static assert(is(typeof(c) : byte));
    assert(c == -10);

ubyte ub = 16;
    auto uc = -ub.np;
    static assert(is(typeof(uc) : ubyte));
    assert(uc == 0xF0);
}

version(unittest)
{
    // These tests are put here as actual module functions, to force optimizer
    // not to discard calls to these functions, so that we can see the actual
    // generated code.
    byte byteNegate(byte b) { return -b.np; }
    ubyte ubyteNegate(ubyte b) { return -b.np; }

byte byteTest1(int choice, byte a, byte b)
    {
        if (choice == 1)
            return a.np + b;
        if (choice == 2)
            return a.np / b;
        assert(0);
    }

short shortAdd(short a, short b) { return a.np + b; }

// Test opBinaryRight
    byte byteRightTest(byte a, byte c)
    {
        auto result = a + c.np;
        static assert(is(typeof(result) : byte));
        return result;
    }

unittest
    {
        assert(byteRightTest(127, 1) == byte.min);
    }

short multiTest1(short x, short y)
    {
        return short(2) + 2*(x - y.np);
    }

unittest
    {
        // Test wraparound semantics.
        assert(multiTest1(32767, 16384) == short.min);
    }

short multiTest2(short a, short b)
    {
        short x = a;
        short y = b;
        return (2*x + 1) * (y.np/2 - 1);
    }

unittest
    {
        assert(multiTest2(1, 4) == 3);
    }
}
-----------------------------------snip----------------------------------
January 18, 2019
On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 05:26:35PM +0000, Mek101 via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Friday, 18 January 2019 at 17:15:09 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> > What is 127 + 127? Answer: 254. Which if converted to a byte is -127.  Not what you might expect if you are doing addition.
> 
> Quite similar to int.max + int.max
> 
> > In fact, D promotes all integral types smaller than int to int to do arithmetic. And if the result might not fit into what you are assigning it to, it requires a cast or mask.
> 
> Then why isn't int + int = long? If i did the example above, they wouldn't fit in a int for sure, yet the result is of the same type. Why should byte be any different?

It's historical baggage from C's integer promotion rules, that's all there is to it.  Many people seem to think that's a good thing. I personally think it sucks, and so I've written a nopromote module to work around the autopromotion (see my other post).

OTOH if you're concerned about int overflow, just cast to long:

int x = int.max, y = int.max;
	auto result = cast(long)x + y;

Of course, eventually you run out of options, e.g., if you try to add ulong.max to ulong.max.  Generally most people won't run into that, but if you're concerned about that, you could pull out the big guns and import std.bigint. :-D

T

-- 
Music critic: "That's an imitation fugue!"
January 18, 2019
On Friday, 18 January 2019 at 17:26:35 UTC, Mek101 wrote:
> Then why isn't int + int = long? If i did the example above, they wouldn't fit in a int for sure, yet the result is of the same type. Why should byte be any different?

Because C didn't define it that way. And C didn't define it that way because of convenience and efficiency on common hardware biased toward int (and nowadays with 64 bit, we kept int at 32 for compatibility basically, the inertia set in).

We have proposed to change it before, but the main policy D has right now is "if it looks like C, it works like C or doesn't compile at all", so programmer habits and such don't silently bite them.
January 18, 2019
On 1/18/19 12:26 PM, Mek101 wrote:
> On Friday, 18 January 2019 at 17:15:09 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> What is 127 + 127? Answer: 254. Which if converted to a byte is -127. Not what you might expect if you are doing addition.
> 
> Quite similar to int.max + int.max

Indeed. But this is where C drew the line, so it's where D draws the line as well.

>> In fact, D promotes all integral types smaller than int to int to do arithmetic. And if the result might not fit into what you are assigning it to, it requires a cast or mask.
> 

There are other inconsistencies too, like += (which works on byte += byte).

As others have said, those are the rules D has for historical reasons, you just have to deal with them.

-Steve
January 18, 2019
On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 01:49:23PM -0500, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On 1/18/19 12:26 PM, Mek101 wrote:
[...]
> > Then why isn't int + int = long? If i did the example above, they wouldn't fit in a int for sure, yet the result is of the same type. Why should byte be any different?
> 
> There are other inconsistencies too, like += (which works on byte +=
> byte).
> 
> As others have said, those are the rules D has for historical reasons, you just have to deal with them.
[...]

Or use my nopromote module. ;-)  </shameless self-promotion>

T

-- 
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -- Abraham Lincoln
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2