August 27, 2015
On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hello everyone [...]

Wow.

August 27, 2015
On Monday, August 24, 2015 18:42:59 Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>
> Following an increasing desire to focus on working on the D language and foundation, I have recently made the difficult decision to part ways with Facebook, my employer of five years and nine months.
>
> Facebook has impacted my career and life very positively, and I am grateful to have been a part of it for this long. The time has come for me, however, to fully focus on pushing D forward. As sorry I am for leaving a good and secure career behind, I am excited many times over about the great challenges and opportunities going forward.
>
> Next step with the D Language Foundation is a formal talk with the foundation's prospective attorney tomorrow. I hope to get the foundation in motion as soon as possible, though I'm told there are numerous steps to complete. I will keep this forum posted about progress.
>
> I'm also glad to announce that the D Language Foundation already has a donor - I have decided to contribute my books' royalties to it. I encourage others to respond in kind.

Wow. Sounds financially risky on your part, but if you can afford to do this, then it'll be great for the D community at large. The more resources we can have focused on D, the better.

- Jonathan M Davis

August 27, 2015
On 24/08/2015 19:42, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
> I'm also glad to announce that the D Language Foundation already has a
> donor - I have decided to contribute my books' royalties to it. I
> encourage others to respond in kind.

Cool, I'd be up for contributing in this way. Any thoughts on how that would work though? One off Paypal donations, or a recurring system like Patreon or BountySource's Salt? (https://salt.bountysource.com/)

-- 
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros
August 27, 2015
> Hello everyone,
>
>
> Following an increasing desire to focus on working on the D language and foundation, I have recently made the difficult decision to part ways with Facebook, my employer of five years and nine months.
>
> Facebook has impacted my career and life very positively, and I am grateful to have been a part of it for this long. The time has come for me, however, to fully focus on pushing D forward. As sorry I am for leaving a good and secure career behind, I am excited many times over about the great challenges and opportunities going forward.
>
> Next step with the D Language Foundation is a formal talk with the foundation's prospective attorney tomorrow. I hope to get the foundation in motion as soon as possible, though I'm told there are numerous steps to complete. I will keep this forum posted about progress.
>
> I'm also glad to announce that the D Language Foundation already has a donor - I have decided to contribute my books' royalties to it. I encourage others to respond in kind.
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different culture, past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in USA, past 50 yo some people still take the risk to try something new. Awesome.
August 27, 2015
On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 16:01:54 UTC, BBasile wrote:
> On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> [...]
>
> That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different culture, past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in USA, past 50 yo some people still take the risk to try something new. Awesome.

Andrei is past 50? Doesn't look it!
August 27, 2015
> Hello everyone,
> [...]
> Andrei

What big news! May you prosper and may the odds favor your (and our) dream, going forward.
August 27, 2015
On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 18:03:37 UTC, Colin wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 16:01:54 UTC, BBasile wrote:
>> On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different culture, past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in USA, past 50 yo some people still take the risk to try something new. Awesome.
>
> Andrei is past 50? Doesn't look it!

And Walter who was involved in the 80's in the team who made MS DOS... do you think he's 20 yo ?
August 27, 2015
On 8/27/15, BBasile via Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 18:03:37 UTC, Colin wrote:
>> On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 16:01:54 UTC, BBasile wrote:
>>> On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>> [...]
>>>
>>> That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different culture, past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in USA, past 50 yo some people still take the risk to try something new. Awesome.
>>
>> Andrei is past 50? Doesn't look it!
>
> And Walter who was involved in the 80's in the team who made MS DOS... do you think he's 20 yo ?

Hmm.. ? This is the first time I've heard of this. He's one of the very first people who have developed a C++ compiler, but MS-DOS?
August 27, 2015
On 8/27/15 2:03 PM, Colin wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 16:01:54 UTC, BBasile wrote:
>> On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different culture,
>> past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in USA, past 50 yo
>> some people still take the risk to try something new. Awesome.
>
> Andrei is past 50? Doesn't look it!

He ain't that old :)

http://erdani.com/index.php/about/

"Born in 1969"

-Steve
August 27, 2015
On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 18:42:41 UTC, BBasile wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 18:03:37 UTC, Colin wrote:
>> On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 16:01:54 UTC, BBasile wrote:
>>> On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>> [...]
>>>
>>> That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different culture, past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in USA, past 50 yo some people still take the risk to try something new. Awesome.
>>
>> Andrei is past 50? Doesn't look it!
>
> And Walter who was involved in the 80's in the team who made MS DOS... do you think he's 20 yo ?

We were talkin' bout Andrei yo, not Walter!