October 19, 2015
On Sun, 2015-10-18 at 14:52 -0700, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d- announce wrote:
> 
[…]
> I expect that you're going to get a fair bit of disagreement on that.
> We've
> been telling everyone for years that it's full of old stuff that
> mostly
> only works with old versions of D (most of it D1) and that it should
> usually
> be avoided because of that. Pretty much anything like what it was
> doing is
> done on github now. Resurrecting dsource.org would just cause
> confusion at
> this point. dsource.org exists only for archival purposes, and IMHO,
> that's
> how it should stay.

The stories of GoogleCode and Codehaus are that a system set up for CVS/Subversion cannot compete with GitHub and BitBucket in the DVCS- era. Has anyone tried GitLab (was Gitorious)? SourceForge is trying to rework itself, but it is very resource intensive, and this only really viable for an organization with large funds. All the other "forges" that I have been associated with are now either gone or left lying around as archives for historical purposes.

dsource.org is not, in my opinion, worth resurrecting to try and compete with GitHub and BitBucket. If there is some non-code-hosting role not fulfilled by dlang.org then maybe, but as it is I would make the notice on the front page of dsource.org much larger and then just let it be.
-- 
Russel. ============================================================================= Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

October 19, 2015
> dsource.org exists only for archival purposes, and IMHO, that's how it should stay.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I do not think that it's good idea to storage D1 stuff forever. The stuff can be backup to old.dsource.org or so. D need more actual materials then saving retro-stuff.

October 19, 2015
On 2015-10-19 13:18, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:

> Has anyone tried GitLab (was Gitorious)?

Yes, we're using at work. It's what you use if you don't want to pay for GitHub :). I think it's really good, almost as good as GitHub.

It comes bundled with a GitLab CI as well, which is nice.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
October 19, 2015
On 10/19/2015 10:49 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2015-10-19 13:18, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried GitLab (was Gitorious)?
>
> Yes, we're using at work. It's what you use if you don't want to pay for
> GitHub :). I think it's really good, almost as good as GitHub.
>

From what I've seen, I think it's better than GitHub. Although I haven't really used it for an actual project yet.

October 19, 2015
On Monday, 19 October 2015 at 14:49:12 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> It's what you use if you don't want to pay for GitHub :).

Not really. If you have a .edu email address, you get an unlimited Bitbucket account for free. It's popular with academics for that reason. No setup and no heavy hardware requirements to deal with.
October 19, 2015
On Saturday, 17 October 2015 at 20:19:05 UTC, Suliman wrote:

> Andrei, with whom I can talk about dsource.org? I am thinking that it can be very good collective forum (project forum) for D. I hope that our CMS that will be released very soon would be good for it. This NG can be stay for technical questions, while dsource could become collective blog as part of D Foundation. What do you think about it?

The question of an official D blog arose recently, so I posted here, and Mike Parker said that he would like to work on that. Apparently (before I was using D) he did something similar.

http://forum.dlang.org/post/suemsfczrpmrzywdbcln@forum.dlang.org

The more people willing to work on it the better IMO. But please work together to avoid what seems to happen in some form with every initiative of this community.
October 19, 2015
On 2015-10-19 16:54, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> From what I've seen, I think it's better than GitHub. Although I
> haven't really used it for an actual project yet.

I've used both GitHub and GitLab quite a lot and I prefer GitHub. It feels more polished overall.

But what's nice about GitLab is that it's open source and I really like GitLab CI, which is bundled.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
October 19, 2015
On 2015-10-19 17:21, bachmeier wrote:

> Not really. If you have a .edu email address, you get an unlimited
> Bitbucket account for free. It's popular with academics for that reason.
> No setup and no heavy hardware requirements to deal with.

Well, if you're a company and don't want to put your code in the cloud.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
October 19, 2015
On Monday, 19 October 2015 at 14:54:34 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 10/19/2015 10:49 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2015-10-19 13:18, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone tried GitLab (was Gitorious)?
>>
>> Yes, we're using at work. It's what you use if you don't want to pay for
>> GitHub :). I think it's really good, almost as good as GitHub.
>>
>
> From what I've seen, I think it's better than GitHub. Although I haven't really used it for an actual project yet.

in my experience it is not better than github but closer to github and i think in near future it will be better.
October 20, 2015
On Monday, October 19, 2015 14:37:50 Suliman via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> > dsource.org exists only for archival purposes, and IMHO, that's how it should stay.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> I do not think that it's good idea to storage D1 stuff forever. The stuff can be backup to old.dsource.org or so. D need more actual materials then saving retro-stuff.

Regardless of whether dsource.org sticks around as an archive for old projects in the long run, I think that it would be a serious mistake to reuse the URL for anything else. It is already known and has a reputation - and that reputation is _not_ for whatever you might want to use it for now. If you want a new site for D, then come up with a new site. Don't try and recycle an old one that's already well-known for something else and already well-known to be a site that does not contain new material.

- Jonathan M Davis