So, since I've been off the wagon for a couple of years; VisualD, which used to be ROCK SOLID seems to have suffered major regressions in almost every aspect of its functionality.
I think it's largely related to dmd-as-a-lib now being the foundation for a lot of tooling, and it's just criminally unstable...

Rainer used to maintain his own semantic analyser used for formatting, auto-complete and suggestions, code navigation, and debugging; it worked beautifully! But a couple years back, VisualD was switched to use DMD frontend for those duties, and it barely works anymore.
The old bespoke code is still available, but it's so out of date with the modern language that it's not usable anymore.

...to make this worse; Rainer has effectively checked-out too. We've lost another one of our finest.

This is a general category of problem that's been an issue for a long time; having unfunded one-man efforts maintain essential infrastructure. I wonder if there are any opportunities available to do a lot better here. Does the dlang foundation have any budget for critical infrastructure? And/or anyone that would even consider working on the boring but essential stuff?

Is there actually anyone here who develops on Windows? I don't understand how it could have regressed so far, unless it's just that nobody is using it.

I now recognise a really major conundrum; I've recently returned to D to start a company with a greenfields project. VisualD failing is essentially terminal. I'm not sure what to do.
I don't have time available to try and pick up the project and work it myself, but the current state is really pushing at the border of forcing me to completely rewrite all my code in C++ on account of ecosystem reliability.

Ideally, we really need to be properly funding development for critical infrastructure... but I'm not sure we've ever had a sufficient budget to maintain that sort of commitment.