On 09/04/2019 01:07, Mike Franklin via Digitalmars-d wrote:
IMO, Rust's only feature is the borrow checker; the rest of the language stinks.  But, statically-checked memory safety is so fantastic Rust is destined for success.  If D had an equally effective mechanism for memory safety and fearless concurrency, there would be no reason for Rust to exist, and there would be no competition for D.

It seems to me that Rust's real killer feature is that it is backed by Mozilla. How many major modern languages are really successful without major corporate backing? C# has Microsoft, Java had Sun/has Oracle[1], Javascript had Netscape (when Netscape mattered) as well as browser support from Microsoft (when that mattered), Go has Google, Swift has Apple. In comparison, D does not have big name backing (sorry, no offence intended!).

(I should add that I think that C and C++ are exceptions to this since they have, in comparison, been around for much longer and were able to get up a head of steam in their own standards-driven right before corporate backing came to matter in the same way that it seems to now).

And so even if D had the same (or better) features than Rust or Go, it would still face competitors.

Thus it seems to me that technical improvements such as adding features to D to improve its concurrency and memory safety are certainly important, as I understand it, but *marketing* is important too. Is it possible that some major project with the profile of Firefox could be (partly) moved to D from C++?

( A bit about me: This is my first post here and I am not currently a D programmer. I joined this mail list to learn a bit more about D. I am currently working on a cross platform thick client application project in C# (yes, thick client app projects still exist). It is possible that future versions of this project could be written in one of Rust, D or Go, depending on how each language develops including issues like readability, wasm support, asynch/concurrency support, and cross platform GUI support ).

Footnote:-
1: Luckily for Java, it had already built up a head of steam in its own right before Oracle came along.

-- 
Mark Rousell