August 26, 2008
I'm using a derivative* of the VAX/VMS FORTRAN 77 Empire (Version 4.0, dated 18-Jan-81) which I converted to run on a PC.  This version has the random map generation.  I've seen references to a version 5.0 and a note that it allowed the user to select the difficulty level.  I'd like to add this to my version.

Does anyone know how the user-selectable difficulty level was implemented?  Or maybe someone has a code snippet?  I could just keep picking cities randomly until the desired level was found by chance, but there's probably a better way.

( * My version appears to come from the original DECUS FORTRAN 77 version.  I obtained it in 1983 and converted it to FORTRAN IV and ran it on a Sperry mainframe.  I also fixed some bugs, added a "follow shore" mode for armies and ships, and added a greatly enhanced map printout, along with other minor features.  I recently retrieved it from one of my 9-track tapes and converted it (using the Open Watcom FORTRAN 77 compiler) to run as a DOS application on a PC using ANSI.SYS.  I added single-character input and converted the map printout to write an RTF file so it can be easily printed on 8.5x11 paper.)

-- 
Bob Scheurle
njtbob2@X-verizon-X.net
Remove X's and dashes
December 08, 2008
Is there any change of getting a copy of this derivative?