April 05, 2010
Hey guys, I saw this list referred to on the main newsgroup and figured I'd
join up and move my phobos specific chatting over here.

I've noticed that there are several functions in the Phobos source, including
whole modules, that don't show up on the Digital Mars website, nor the
html dir in the dmd zip, at all. I first noticed this with std.date, which
has lots of juicy stuff hidden from view, then again with std.json not being
on the website at all!

The individual functions are left out because there isn't a documentation
comment in the source for them. The modules look left out because
they aren't listed in /src/phobos/std.ddoc, but I think there is something
else missing too; maybe the makefile?

I wrote a small shell script to call dmd to build all the docs in the phobos directory. This way, at least the files will exist!

Then, as I have time, I plan to fix the std.ddoc file, and also go through the individual files and stick at least a /** FIXME: document */ above each function/class/etc. that looks like it should be public.

FIXMEs littering the public docs might not look great, but at least this way, the files will show up on the listing, so people know something exists!

It will also give my http://dpldocs.info a more complete listing that people can search, while still redirecting everyone to digitalmars like it does now to read the result pages.

Anyway, here's the script to make the html files:

====
#!/bin/sh

SRC_DIR=/home/me/d/dmd2/src/phobos

# Random phobos docs
for i in  $SRC_DIR/*.d; do dmd -D -c -o- -Df`basename $i .d`.html $i; done

# std.xxx
for i in  $SRC_DIR/std/*.d; do dmd -D -c -o- -Dfstd_`basename $i .d`.html $i; done

# std.c.xxx
for i in  $SRC_DIR/std/c/*.d; do dmd -D -c -o- -Dfstd_c_`basename $i .d`.html $i; done

# std.windows.xxx
for i in  $SRC_DIR/std/windows/*.d; do dmd -D -c -o- -Dfstd_windows_`basename $i .d`.html $i; done
===

-- 
Adam D. Ruppe
http://arsdnet.net
April 07, 2010
I think that's a great initiative. I suggest you amend the existing posix.mak to properly build documentation.

std.json is missing because it's not in std.ddoc.

Andrei

On 04/05/2010 09:22 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Hey guys, I saw this list referred to on the main newsgroup and figured I'd join up and move my phobos specific chatting over here.
>
>
> I've noticed that there are several functions in the Phobos source, including
> whole modules, that don't show up on the Digital Mars website, nor the
> html dir in the dmd zip, at all. I first noticed this with std.date, which
> has lots of juicy stuff hidden from view, then again with std.json not being
> on the website at all!
>
> The individual functions are left out because there isn't a documentation
> comment in the source for them. The modules look left out because
> they aren't listed in /src/phobos/std.ddoc, but I think there is something
> else missing too; maybe the makefile?
>
> I wrote a small shell script to call dmd to build all the docs in the phobos directory. This way, at least the files will exist!
>
> Then, as I have time, I plan to fix the std.ddoc file, and also go through the individual files and stick at least a /** FIXME: document */ above each function/class/etc. that looks like it should be public.
>
> FIXMEs littering the public docs might not look great, but at least this way, the files will show up on the listing, so people know something exists!
>
> It will also give my http://dpldocs.info a more complete listing that people can search, while still redirecting everyone to digitalmars like it does now to read the result pages.
>
>
> Anyway, here's the script to make the html files:
>
> ====
> #!/bin/sh
>
> SRC_DIR=/home/me/d/dmd2/src/phobos
>
> # Random phobos docs
> for i in  $SRC_DIR/*.d; do dmd -D -c -o- -Df`basename $i .d`.html $i; done
>
> # std.xxx
> for i in  $SRC_DIR/std/*.d; do dmd -D -c -o- -Dfstd_`basename $i .d`.html $i; done
>
> # std.c.xxx
> for i in  $SRC_DIR/std/c/*.d; do dmd -D -c -o- -Dfstd_c_`basename $i .d`.html $i; done
>
> # std.windows.xxx
> for i in  $SRC_DIR/std/windows/*.d; do dmd -D -c -o- -Dfstd_windows_`basename $i .d`.html $i; done
> ===
>