Burton Radons
Jul 30, 2002
Jan Knepper
Aug 19, 2002
Walter
Aug 19, 2002
Jan Knepper
July 26, 2002
I did some work on porting the sources to FreeBSD/Linux. Placed them in a directory 'd' as subdirectory if the 'gcc' subdirectory in the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC).

Not done yet, but most of the files compile, although some still will need quite a bit of work as Walter's Complex Numbers implementation is unique in itself, but not quite as portable to other compilers/target platforms.

The files are in CVS and at 03:00 EST (00:00 PST) everyday an export is done to create the d-front-end.tar.gz file which becomes available for download through http://www.opend.org/

Let me know who also wants to work on it and needs CVS access.

Jan

July 26, 2002
I'd suggest just skipping the complex number stuff until the compiler gets bootstrapped.

"Jan Knepper" <jan@opend.org> wrote in message news:3D40B3D8.8090403@opend.org...
> I did some work on porting the sources to FreeBSD/Linux. Placed them in a directory 'd' as subdirectory if the 'gcc' subdirectory in the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC).
>
> Not done yet, but most of the files compile, although some still will need quite a bit of work as Walter's Complex Numbers implementation is unique in itself, but not quite as portable to other compilers/target platforms.
>
> The files are in CVS and at 03:00 EST (00:00 PST) everyday an export is done to create the d-front-end.tar.gz file which becomes available for download through http://www.opend.org/
>
> Let me know who also wants to work on it and needs CVS access.
>
> Jan
>

July 26, 2002
That's EXACTLY my thinking. So for now I just #ifdef __DMC__'ed it out! Jan

Walter wrote:

> I'd suggest just skipping the complex number stuff until the compiler gets bootstrapped.
>
> "Jan Knepper" <jan@opend.org> wrote in message news:3D40B3D8.8090403@opend.org...
> > I did some work on porting the sources to FreeBSD/Linux. Placed them in a directory 'd' as subdirectory if the 'gcc' subdirectory in the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC).
> >
> > Not done yet, but most of the files compile, although some still will need quite a bit of work as Walter's Complex Numbers implementation is unique in itself, but not quite as portable to other compilers/target platforms.
> >
> > The files are in CVS and at 03:00 EST (00:00 PST) everyday an export is done to create the d-front-end.tar.gz file which becomes available for download through http://www.opend.org/
> >
> > Let me know who also wants to work on it and needs CVS access.
> >
> > Jan
> >

July 29, 2002
OK,
I did some more porting and disabled quite a bit of code that had to much to do with the back-end. Disabled it and put a 'stub' in place.
Also added quite a couple of files with 'stub's' for other missing back-end code.
Right now almost everything compiles. It actually does all compile with Digital Mars C++ and creates a .exe file too.
So... Who else is going to do something???

Jan

Jan Knepper wrote:
> I did some work on porting the sources to FreeBSD/Linux. Placed them in a directory 'd' as subdirectory if the 'gcc' subdirectory in the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC).
> 
> Not done yet, but most of the files compile, although some still will need quite a bit of work as Walter's Complex Numbers implementation is unique in itself, but not quite as portable to other compilers/target platforms.
> 
> The files are in CVS and at 03:00 EST (00:00 PST) everyday an export is done to create the d-front-end.tar.gz file which becomes available for download through http://www.opend.org/
> 
> Let me know who also wants to work on it and needs CVS access.

July 29, 2002
Okay so this is to say that you've gotten the Front end code to compile with DMC++.  Okay lets identify the tasks at hand.

1. Agree on C++ Coding conventions - I suggest following Walter's constructs as they seem a very nice way to write C++ to me and it will produce good code.

2. Getting the front end to compile within the GCC make process, bootstrapped and all.

3. Document the above

3. Identifying the middle "tier", come up with some sturdy interfaces

4. Come up with a list of features to implement for our first round.

I should have *some* time to work on this for the moment.  I've still a bit more work to do on my time monopolizing task, but its wrapping up nicely.

-Andy

Jan Knepper wrote:
> OK,
> I did some more porting and disabled quite a bit of code that had to much to do with the back-end. Disabled it and put a 'stub' in place.
> Also added quite a couple of files with 'stub's' for other missing back-end code.
> Right now almost everything compiles. It actually does all compile with Digital Mars C++ and creates a .exe file too.
> So... Who else is going to do something???
> 
> Jan
> 
> 
> 
> Jan Knepper wrote:
> 
>> I did some work on porting the sources to FreeBSD/Linux. Placed them in a directory 'd' as subdirectory if the 'gcc' subdirectory in the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC).
>>
>> Not done yet, but most of the files compile, although some still will need quite a bit of work as Walter's Complex Numbers implementation is unique in itself, but not quite as portable to other compilers/target platforms.
>>
>> The files are in CVS and at 03:00 EST (00:00 PST) everyday an export is done to create the d-front-end.tar.gz file which becomes available for download through http://www.opend.org/
>>
>> Let me know who also wants to work on it and needs CVS access.
> 
> 

July 29, 2002
andy wrote:

> Okay so this is to say that you've gotten the Front end code to compile with DMC++.  Okay lets identify the tasks at hand.
>
> 1. Agree on C++ Coding conventions - I suggest following Walter's constructs as they seem a very nice way to write C++ to me and it will produce good code.

Sorry, since I am coding and I seem to have been the only one that has been coding so far I will follow my own C++ coding conventions. Take a look at it. They are rather easy to follow.

> 2. Getting the front end to compile within the GCC

99 % of that is done as I suspect that the new changes will compile without too much trouble.

> make process, bootstrapped and all.

Creating the necessary Config/makefile. No biggie.

> 3. Document the above

I think I will stay away from doing to much on that! <g>

> 4. Identifying the middle "tier", come up with some sturdy interfaces

I think the interface is basically already there. All the current stub functions that will required implementation at some time.

> 5. Come up with a list of features to implement for our first round.

Well, go ahead and take a look at the sources...

> I should have *some* time to work on this for the moment.  I've still a bit more work to do on my time monopolizing task, but its wrapping up nicely.

I have heard this for some time now and have not seen one line of code you wrote or one change in a Makefile, readme or anything else, but posts in the newsgroup or through email. I have not heard the first positive comment about toy2 indicating that some actually looked at it and now you suggest I use someone else's C++ coding conventions? I guess it is time to wake up. I've got an EGO too you know!

Jan

>
>
> -Andy
>
> Jan Knepper wrote:
> > OK,
> > I did some more porting and disabled quite a bit of code that had to
> > much to do with the back-end. Disabled it and put a 'stub' in place.
> > Also added quite a couple of files with 'stub's' for other missing
> > back-end code.
> > Right now almost everything compiles. It actually does all compile with
> > Digital Mars C++ and creates a .exe file too.
> > So... Who else is going to do something???
> >
> > Jan
> >
> >
> >
> > Jan Knepper wrote:
> >
> >> I did some work on porting the sources to FreeBSD/Linux. Placed them in a directory 'd' as subdirectory if the 'gcc' subdirectory in the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC).
> >>
> >> Not done yet, but most of the files compile, although some still will need quite a bit of work as Walter's Complex Numbers implementation is unique in itself, but not quite as portable to other compilers/target platforms.
> >>
> >> The files are in CVS and at 03:00 EST (00:00 PST) everyday an export is done to create the d-front-end.tar.gz file which becomes available for download through http://www.opend.org/
> >>
> >> Let me know who also wants to work on it and needs CVS access.
> >
> >

--
Jan Knepper
Smartsoft, LLC
88 Petersburg Road
Petersburg, NJ 08270
U.S.A.

http://www.smartsoft.cc/

Phone : 609-628-4260
FAX   : 609-628-1267

In God we Trust -- all others must submit an X.509 certificate.
    -- Charles Forsythe <forsythe@alum.mit.edu>

July 29, 2002
> 
> Well, go ahead and take a look at the sources...
> 

I'm doing that right now.

> 
>>I should have *some* time to work on this for the moment.  I've still a
>>bit more work to do on my time monopolizing task, but its wrapping up
>>nicely.
> 
> 
> I have heard this for some time now and have not seen one line of code you
> wrote or one change in a Makefile, readme or anything else, but posts in the
> newsgroup or through email. I have not heard the first positive comment about
> toy2 indicating that some actually looked at it and now you suggest I use
> someone else's C++ coding conventions? I guess it is time to wake up. I've
> got an EGO too you know!
> 

I looked at it, I haven't gotten it to compile yet.  Looking at it, so far I'm impressed.  I have to install gcc 2.96x on my linux box and then I can compile it.  (toy doesn't compile on my windows laptop).

The statement on coding conventions was general as we're about to undertake a realtively large undertaking in C++ (which I believe even you stated that strong coding conventions were needed), I nominated walters because it sounded the least contentious and I have some understanding of his (having a large code sampling to look at).  If you would kindly document yours or give me a large code sampling to look at I'm ameniable to using them instead.

You've very sensitive.  We'll need to find a way to work together keeping in mind that I'm not very sensitive.

-Andy

> Jan
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>
>>-Andy
>>
>>Jan Knepper wrote:
>>
>>>OK,
>>>I did some more porting and disabled quite a bit of code that had to
>>>much to do with the back-end. Disabled it and put a 'stub' in place.
>>>Also added quite a couple of files with 'stub's' for other missing
>>>back-end code.
>>>Right now almost everything compiles. It actually does all compile with
>>>Digital Mars C++ and creates a .exe file too.
>>>So... Who else is going to do something???
>>>
>>>Jan
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Jan Knepper wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>I did some work on porting the sources to FreeBSD/Linux. Placed them
>>>>in a directory 'd' as subdirectory if the 'gcc' subdirectory in the
>>>>GNU Compiler Collection (GCC).
>>>>
>>>>Not done yet, but most of the files compile, although some still will
>>>>need quite a bit of work as Walter's Complex Numbers implementation is
>>>>unique in itself, but not quite as portable to other compilers/target
>>>>platforms.
>>>>
>>>>The files are in CVS and at 03:00 EST (00:00 PST) everyday an export
>>>>is done to create the d-front-end.tar.gz file which becomes available
>>>>for download through http://www.opend.org/
>>>>
>>>>Let me know who also wants to work on it and needs CVS access.
>>>
>>>
> 
> --
> Jan Knepper
> Smartsoft, LLC
> 88 Petersburg Road
> Petersburg, NJ 08270
> U.S.A.
> 
> http://www.smartsoft.cc/
> 
> Phone : 609-628-4260
> FAX   : 609-628-1267
> 
> In God we Trust -- all others must submit an X.509 certificate.
>     -- Charles Forsythe <forsythe@alum.mit.edu>
> 
> 

July 29, 2002
andy wrote:

> > Well, go ahead and take a look at the sources...
> I'm doing that right now.

Good!

> >>I should have *some* time to work on this for the moment.  I've still a bit more work to do on my time monopolizing task, but its wrapping up nicely.
> > I have heard this for some time now and have not seen one line of code you wrote or one change in a Makefile, readme or anything else, but posts in the newsgroup or through email. I have not heard the first positive comment about toy2 indicating that some actually looked at it and now you suggest I use someone else's C++ coding conventions? I guess it is time to wake up. I've got an EGO too you know!
> I looked at it, I haven't gotten it to compile yet.  Looking at it, so far I'm impressed.  I have to install gcc 2.96x on my linux box and then I can compile it.  (toy doesn't compile on my windows laptop).

I think I compiled toy2 with 2.95.1...

> The statement on coding conventions was general as we're about to undertake a realtively large undertaking in C++ (which I believe even you stated that strong coding conventions were needed),

Yeah, we had a discussion about that a while back in relation to excessive use of
C++ features.
Well, believe me, I will stay away from those as that is my preference.

Also... I do not think the undertaking is relatively that large... Just the GLUE layer does not seem nearly as large as my usual projects...

However, I am used to a certain coding style. I.e. a how formating of headers and sources which I am dependent on to be able to work fast and effective. Toy2 is a little example of that. Not the best, but it will do. The latest additions to CVS are an example of that too. When you take a look at it you will get the idea. I do not expect others (since we are out here all in our own time) to use the exact same formatting.

Other things I would like, no MI and no STL, preferably no templates. Might come up with a few more...

> I nominated walters because it sounded the least contentious and I have some
> understanding of his (having a large code sampling to look at).  If you
> would kindly document yours or give me a large code sampling to look at
> I'm ameniable to using them instead.

toy2 and the new additions to CVS.

> You've very sensitive.  We'll need to find a way to work together keeping in mind that I'm not very sensitive.

<g> Sensitive?
Excuse me... I think we're all sensitive at times. I feel like I am the only one
that has put as much time and effort in this project. It might have been better to
write something 'after' review of what currently has been done. I think it would
have made a bit more sense.

Jan

July 29, 2002
I've been trying to get it to compile it on my 2.95.3, everything
worked except the 3 files you mentioned in the README, did you say
you've corrected those?

Oh, I also had to add the -fpermissive switch to get around some
"integer constant out of range" errors in lexer.c.
I'm not sure if that would break compilation with gcc 3.1 or not,
but it might be a nice thing to add to the makefile to make
the build process a little more version agnostic for those
who want to get involved without upgrading their compiler version.
Just an idea, its no trouble for me personally.

I didn't have much luck fixing the errors in the other files.
depending on where you got with them, I will take a harder
look today. (func.c, tocsym.c, and todt.c)

-Jon

July 29, 2002
Jonathan Andrew wrote:

> I've been trying to get it to compile it on my 2.95.3, everything worked except the 3 files you mentioned in the README, did you say you've corrected those?

Well, I stubbed them as tocsym.c and todt.c seem to be very involved with the backend of which we do not have the sources.

> Oh, I also had to add the -fpermissive switch to get around some
> "integer constant out of range" errors in lexer.c.
> I'm not sure if that would break compilation with gcc 3.1 or not,
> but it might be a nice thing to add to the makefile to make
> the build process a little more version agnostic for those
> who want to get involved without upgrading their compiler version.
> Just an idea, its no trouble for me personally.

Hmmm, I used gcc 3.1.1

> I didn't have much luck fixing the errors in the other files. depending on where you got with them, I will take a harder look today. (func.c, tocsym.c, and todt.c)

func.c is kinda cute.
tocsym.c and todt.c have new versions in CVS and for sure in the
.tar.gz file I think.
Jan

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2