April 02
On Wednesday, 31 March 2021 at 21:40:15 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> I'm sure this wouldn't be terribly difficult to implement, but I also don't think it is a good idea. Online voting is emotionally toxic and logically fallacious. We're better off without it.

Very well said.
April 02
On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 14:25:09 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> I appreciate your nuanced take as I was a bit taken aback by the blanket statement that voting is bad, which I find anachronistic in a "don't use cars because accidents" way. Proposal got downvoted as it were :o).

I thought about this a bit more and I think a decent voting system can be implemented in this particular forum :)
1. implement voting in the form of moderation (moting?).
2. the trick: reuse the flagging team to do moting; I assume if they can flag, they can also implement a moting policy.
3. the moting policy for a start: vote factual informative posts like Steven's description of slice structure, documentation clarifications, explanations of GC internals, helpful code samples; but not, e.g. a proposal of an interpolated string design, because it's not a fact, but a proposed design tradeoff competing with other proposed tradeoffs; rationale: upvotes are de jure positive, but de facto you can be surprised to discover dark corners of your psychics that never saw the light of day; facts should be sufficiently non-controversial for everyone.
4. possible UX: don't show votes in interface, only use them internally for sorting when one requests such sorting, the resulting order should be evident enough.
April 02
On 4/2/2021 3:12 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> Here is how I do it:
> 
> https://dump.cy.md/de83f239e276fa30d882c736f8fba7f3/2021-04-02%2010%3A09%3A45.mp4
> 
> 😃

Sweet!

Yours is obviously better. Here are the tables for mine:

https://github.com/DigitalMars/med/blob/master/src/med/more.d#L350
April 02
On 4/2/21 3:07 AM, Walter Bright wrote:

> I finally settled on placing the cursor over a
> character, and hitting ^X-U. It will scroll through related symbols.

I use a similar idea in *regular* :) Emacs for only the Turkish subset of Unicode.

Because Turkish alphabet is based on the Latin alphabet, I came up with the idea of typing a key twice to produce its Turkish relation. Copying from my .emacs file:

gg -> ğ
II -> İ
ii -> ı
etc.

And there are escape sequences when I really want e.g. gg instead of ğ, and there are escapes for espaces. :)

("gg/" ["gg"])
("gg//" ["ğ/"])
("gg/g" ["gğ"])

You can tell by the sound of my keyboard whether I'm typing an English text or a Turkish text. :)

Ali

P.S. Here is the entire definition of the input method I named 'turkish-ali'. (Used with M-x set-input-method)

(require 'quail)

(quail-define-package
"turkish-ali" "UTF-8" "TRa<" t
"Turkish input method by Ali

<key descriptions go here>

" nil t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil t)

(quail-define-rules
("A^" ?Â)
("a^" ?â)
("CC" ?Ç)
("cc" ?ç)
("GG" ?Ğ)
("gg" ?ğ)
("II" ?İ)
("ii" ?ı)
("I^" ?Î)
("i^" ?î)
("OO" ?Ö)
("oo" ?ö)
("SS" ?Ş)
("ss" ?ş)
("UU" ?Ü)
("uu" ?ü)
("U^" ?Û)
("u^" ?û)

("A^/" ["A^"])
("A^//" ["Â/"])
("a^/" ["a^"])
("a^//" ["â/"])
("CC/" ["CC"])
("CC//" ["Ç/"])
("CC/C" ["CÇ"])
("cc/" ["cc"])
("cc//" ["ç/"])
("cc/c" ["cç"])
("GG/" ["GG"])
("GG//" ["Ğ/"])
("GG/G" ["GĞ"])
("gg/" ["gg"])
("gg//" ["ğ/"])
("gg/g" ["gğ"])
("II/" ["II"])
("II//" ["İ/"])
("II/I" ["Iİ"])
("ii/" ["ii"])
("ii//" ["ı/"])
("i^/" ["i^"])
("i^//" ["î/"])
("OO/" ["OO"])
("OO//" ["Ö/"])
("OO/O" ["OÖ"])
("oo/" ["oo"])
("oo//" ["ö/"])
("oo/o" ["oö"])
("SS/" ["SS"])
("SS//" ["Ş/"])
("SS/S" ["SŞ"])
("ss/" ["ss"])
("ss//" ["ş/"])
("ss/s" ["sş"])
("UU/" ["UU"])
("UU//" ["Ü/"])
("UU/U" ["UÜ"])
("uu/" ["uu"])
("uu//" ["ü/"])
("uu/u" ["uü"])
("U^/" ["U^"])
("U^//" ["Û/"])
("u^/" ["u^"])
("u^//" ["û/"])

)



April 02

On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 14:33:43 UTC, Q. Schroll wrote:

>

On Wednesday, 31 March 2021 at 21:40:15 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

>

Online voting is emotionally toxic and logically fallacious.

You're wrong, like really wrong. If that were true, SO should be the pinnacle of emotionally toxic and logically fallacious posts when it comes to programming topics, but it's exactly the contrary: SO is one of the best if not the best resource for programming questions — and I'd claim it is because of their voting system and not in spite of it.

I think it's useful because it exists, is user generated and is searchable. Not sure what votes do there, they are time skewed, the best answer is routinely undervoted, the accepted answer is time skewed too and fails on top of that. As a result I end up reading all answers and comments to answers. Github issues are better for more focused information have no voting system, they too are useful because they exist, are user generated and are searchable.

April 03

On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 14:33:43 UTC, Q. Schroll wrote:

>

On Wednesday, 31 March 2021 at 21:40:15 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

>

Online voting is emotionally toxic and logically fallacious.

You're wrong, like really wrong. If that were true, SO should be the pinnacle of emotionally toxic and logically fallacious posts when it comes to programming topics, but it's exactly the contrary: SO is one of the best if not the best resource for programming questions — and I'd claim it is because of their voting system and not in spite of it.

Well, yes and no.

I've seen subreddit go into runaway mode where some content gets upvoted, which gets folks to self select and both feed into each other. The place turn to shit in no time.

It can work, but it require heavy moderation, which I don't think anyone want to do here. You'll note that all successful example are heavily curated to begin with.

April 02
On 4/2/2021 2:09 PM, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 4/2/21 3:07 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> 
>> I finally settled on placing the cursor over a
>> character, and hitting ^X-U. It will scroll through related symbols.
> 
> I use a similar idea in *regular* :) Emacs for only the Turkish subset of Unicode.

Nice!

The trouble with my scheme is if you go too far, you have to "go around the horn" to recover.

How I type Ç in email is to cut&paste it from your name :-)
April 04
Downsides:
1. absence of karma communicates a message of egalitarianism, introduction of karma will make that message go away.
2. good karma system was never tried, which means all karma systems are failures, introduction of karma will communicate a message that this forum is yet another failure.
April 30
On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 14:59:44 UTC, matheus wrote:
> Well I don't agree with this, SO voting system isn't that good at all. It was already debatable on HN and in different medias too.
>
> For example, it's common to see that in different cases the most up voted answer is "not" the "best answer".

Yep. Often the most recent answer is the best one on Stack Overflow... What SO does reasonably well is classifying topics, but frequently the same topic is covered in multiple places, hard to fix.

For languages that are used by people without formal education in programming (e.g. javascript) the most voted answer on SO tend to be not very good, and cute hacks would be promoted.

You sometimes see this in the D forums too. Cute language hacks that makes code unreadable are popular in the D forums!

For languages that are evolving (like C++) the most voted answer tend to be counter productive and convoluted... meaning you get an answer to solve something in a complicated way that there is a better to do in the most recent version of the language.


April 30
On Friday, 2 April 2021 at 20:39:43 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/2/2021 3:12 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> Here is how I do it:
>> 
>> https://dump.cy.md/de83f239e276fa30d882c736f8fba7f3/2021-04-02%2010%3A09%3A45.mp4
>> 
>> 😃
>
> Sweet!
>
> Yours is obviously better. Here are the tables for mine:
>
> https://github.com/DigitalMars/med/blob/master/src/med/more.d#L350

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/02/05/windows-10-tip-get-started-emoji-keyboard-shortcut/

Tldr: On Windows, press Win + . to bring up the emoji picker
Next ›   Last »
1 2 3 4 5