Nov 02, 2015
Martin Nowak
Nov 03, 2015
bitwise
Nov 06, 2015
Martin Nowak
October 30, 2015
A few matters Walter and I just discussed and wanted to submit for scrutiny:

* @rc classes shall not be single-rooted. Rationale: there is no strong advantage in it and it would force all @rc classes to embed a vptr. This has been already discussed and largely agreed upon in this group.

* @rc classes will not use COM's AddRef and Release automatically. Rationale: (a) that's what C++'s shared_ptr does and not one soul ever complained; (b) the calls are virtual so less efficient and fusion is not possible; (c) it's a lot extra work for one platform.

* Undecided about integrating automatically with Objective-C's refcounts. I'm hoping more details from platform experts.

I'd like to get a DIP draft started by someone else but Walter or myself. Looking for a rigorous person who knows PL well and can manage this complex document and be its ombudsman. I'm proposing Timon for this role - would you want to?

Andrei

October 30, 2015
I don't think the case for baking @rc into the language has been made at this point. Providing guarantee about escaping is necessary and sufficient to build RC. Providing more needs to be justified. Right now, the only reason I've seen for this is optimization, but intrinsics are largely sufficient for this, and don't even need to be standardized.

2015-10-30 14:31 GMT-07:00 Andrei Alexandrescu <andrei@erdani.com>:

> A few matters Walter and I just discussed and wanted to submit for scrutiny:
>
> * @rc classes shall not be single-rooted. Rationale: there is no strong advantage in it and it would force all @rc classes to embed a vptr. This has been already discussed and largely agreed upon in this group.
>
> * @rc classes will not use COM's AddRef and Release automatically.
> Rationale: (a) that's what C++'s shared_ptr does and not one soul ever
> complained; (b) the calls are virtual so less efficient and fusion is not
> possible; (c) it's a lot extra work for one platform.
>
> * Undecided about integrating automatically with Objective-C's refcounts. I'm hoping more details from platform experts.
>
> I'd like to get a DIP draft started by someone else but Walter or myself. Looking for a rigorous person who knows PL well and can manage this complex document and be its ombudsman. I'm proposing Timon for this role - would you want to?
>
>
> Andrei
> _______________________________________________
> Dlang-study mailing list
> Dlang-study@puremagic.com
> http://lists.puremagic.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dlang-study
>

October 31, 2015
On 10/30/2015 10:44 PM, deadal nix wrote:
> I don't think the case for baking @rc into the language has been made at
> this point. Providing guarantee about escaping is necessary and
> sufficient to build RC. Providing more needs to be justified. Right now,
> the only reason I've seen for this is optimization, but intrinsics are
> largely sufficient for this, and don't even need to be standardized.
>

Providing guarantees about escaping is not necessary except for optimizations. The reason for baking @rc into the language is that we want to be able to @safely escape the 'this' reference for reference-counted classes. I don't know if this is a strong enough case, but that does not prevent the DIP from being written. I think @rc does not conflict with type system features for managing lifetimes.

October 30, 2015
Le 30 oct. 2015 à 17:31, Andrei Alexandrescu <andrei@erdani.com> a écrit :

> 
> * @rc classes shall not be single-rooted. Rationale: there is no strong advantage in it and it would force all @rc classes to embed a vptr. This has been already discussed and largely agreed upon in this group.
> 
> * @rc classes will not use COM's AddRef and Release automatically. Rationale: (a) that's what C++'s shared_ptr does and not one soul ever complained; (b) the calls are virtual so less efficient and fusion is not possible; (c) it's a lot extra work for one platform.

Makes sense to me.

> * Undecided about integrating automatically with Objective-C's refcounts. I'm hoping more details from platform experts.

Three things to remember about Objective-C:

1. Parameters are passed non-consuming, except for methods of the "init" family that take `this` consumed.
2. Returned objects are autoreleased, but not for methods of the "init", "new", "copy" and "mutableCopy" families.
3. For function parameters that are pointers to NSError objects, the pointer points to an autoreleased NSError reference.

The compiler needs a way to know whether parameters are consumed, non-consummed, and autoreleased, and whether a function return an autoreleased object or not. Clang guesses almost always correctly by looking at the method name prefix, and when it does not there are some attributes you can use in the function signature to override the default.

The mechanics of Objective-C ARC are the same as anything else. The only difference is the addition of autorelease: you need to insert an extra opAutorelease call when returning an autoreleased object, and an extra opInc call when receiving one in the caller. For autoreleased object references passed to a function by a pointer or by 'ref', add an opAutorelease before the call, and an opInc after. That's it. Then let the optimizer do elision as usual: opAutorelease counts as an opDec with the only difference being that it cannot be elided.

-- 
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin@michelf.ca
https://michelf.ca

October 30, 2015
On 10/30/2015 09:29 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> The reason for baking @rc into the language is that we want to be able
> to @safely escape the 'this' reference for reference-counted classes.

That would be the short of it. More specifically, we want to still allow GC classes to behave the way they behave today (where unstructured escapes are allowed). -- Andrei

October 31, 2015
On Friday, 30 October 2015 at 21:31:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>

Have you done any investigation how this effects exception handling and
dynamic upcasts?

Cheers, Jakob

PS: I might have a copy of this message in the moderation queue, please ignore.

October 31, 2015
On Saturday, October 31, 2015 03:10:41 Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:
> On Friday, 30 October 2015 at 21:31:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> > A few matters Walter and I just discussed and wanted to submit for scrutiny:
> >
> > * @rc classes shall not be single-rooted. Rationale: there is no strong advantage in it and it would force all @rc classes to embed a vptr. This has been already discussed and largely agreed upon in this group.
>
> Have you done any investigation how this effects exception
> handling and
> dynamic upcasts?

Why would the existence (or lack thereof) of a root object affect either
exceptions or casting?

Unless Throwable becomes an @rc class (which might be a good idea), exceptions won't be affected by @rc. And if Throwable does become an @rc class, then Throwable would be the root of all exception classes, and the lack of a general @rc class root would be irrelevant. As it is, exceptions aren't treated as Objects under normal circumstances. The closest that they get to to that would be when they're treated as an Exception or Throwable.

The same goes with casting. Having a root object is irrelevant to casting. As long as the class reference that you're casting refers to an object whose type is either the target type or a type derived from the target type, then the cast will succeed. And if it doesn't, the result will be null. I don't see how the existence of a root object would affect that.

Remember that C++ doesn't have a root object, and exceptions and casting work just fine there.

- Jonathan M Davis

October 31, 2015
I don't see any problem with a DIP. However, I'm concerned by complexity and complications when having to define feature that aren't completely orthogonal.

2015-10-30 18:29 GMT-07:00 Timon Gehr <timon.gehr@gmx.ch>:

> On 10/30/2015 10:44 PM, deadal nix wrote:
>
>> I don't think the case for baking @rc into the language has been made at this point. Providing guarantee about escaping is necessary and sufficient to build RC. Providing more needs to be justified. Right now, the only reason I've seen for this is optimization, but intrinsics are largely sufficient for this, and don't even need to be standardized.
>>
>>
> Providing guarantees about escaping is not necessary except for optimizations. The reason for baking @rc into the language is that we want to be able to @safely escape the 'this' reference for reference-counted classes. I don't know if this is a strong enough case, but that does not prevent the DIP from being written. I think @rc does not conflict with type system features for managing lifetimes.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Dlang-study mailing list
> Dlang-study@puremagic.com
> http://lists.puremagic.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dlang-study
>

October 31, 2015
> The mechanics of Objective-C ARC are the same as anything else. The only difference is the addition of autorelease: you need to insert an extra opAutorelease call when returning an autoreleased object, and an extra opInc call when receiving one in the caller. For autoreleased object references passed to a function by a pointer or by 'ref', add an opAutorelease before the call, and an opInc after. That's it. Then let the optimizer do elision as usual: opAutorelease counts as an opDec with the only difference being that it cannot be elided.
>
>

Not even close. ARC is absurdly complex (we even had someone that worked on
it show up in the forum and basically tell us it was a bad idea to copy
ARC). See for yourself :
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/Block-ABI-Apple.html
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/AutomaticReferenceCounting.html

There are a lot of historical reasons why ARC is that way. One things is sure we don't want to copy this as a model.

October 31, 2015
Le 31 oct. 2015 à 20:04, deadal nix <deadalnix@gmail.com> a écrit :

>> The mechanics of Objective-C ARC are the same as anything else. The only difference is the addition of autorelease: you need to insert an extra opAutorelease call when returning an autoreleased object, and an extra opInc call when receiving one in the caller. For autoreleased object references passed to a function by a pointer or by 'ref', add an opAutorelease before the call, and an opInc after. That's it. Then let the optimizer do elision as usual: opAutorelease counts as an opDec with the only difference being that it cannot be elided.
> 
> Not even close. ARC is absurdly complex (we even had someone that worked on it show up in the forum and basically tell us it was a bad idea to copy ARC). See for yourself :
> http://clang.llvm.org/docs/Block-ABI-Apple.html
> http://clang.llvm.org/docs/AutomaticReferenceCounting.html
> 
> There are a lot of historical reasons why ARC is that way. One things is sure we don't want to copy this as a model.

Perhaps the first sentence from me you quoted above was slightly miswritten. I should have written "The mechanics needed to obtain Objective-C-compatible automatic reference counting in D are the same as those for D objects." Anyway, before I elaborate on that, let me clear up a few points:

* Up to now, we discussed how the compiler can automatically insert opInc/opDec calls to support a form of automatic reference counting for D objects. There was no discussion about weak pointers for D objects, or about capturing local variables for inner functions or lambdas (or blocks in Objective-C). You're pointing to documentation addressing a much larger featureset, so it surely is more complex.

* I am not suggesting implementing Apple's version of ARC to get Objective-C compatibility. It's sometime useful to know how Apple did it and what terminology they use, which makes these documents useful. But as many other people, I have manually managed reference counts in Objective-C code for a long time before ARC came along (it's really not that hard, but it takes some time to learn), and I can tell you how things should work when integrating with D without looking at any document. My idea here is to propose a simple system based on the opInc/opDec proposal that was described here prior Objective-C became a topic, with the minimal additions required to get compatibility with Objective-C.

So it seems I'll have to go in the details.

As I said in the part you quoted, there are two additions needed related to autorelease. That's assuming D already supports non-consuming and consuming arguments. Here are the two changes:

1. Support for autoreleased return values. When returning a value, you just add an extra call to autorelease (denoted by {-1*}):

@autoreleased NSObject getObject() {
		return object{+1}{-1*};
	}

and when receiving an autoreleased object from a function, the caller needs to insert an extra opInc (retain):

NSObject o{+1} = getObject(){+1}{-1};
	o{-1}; // end of scope

and from there the usual elision rules apply. Just make sure the call to autorelease does not get elided inside the "getObject" function.

2. Support for autoreleased values returned by pointer (or "ref"). Typically an Objective-C function returning an error will look like this (D syntax):

bool readFromFile(NSString path, @autoreleased NSError* error);

Such a function would try to read something at the given path, and if it fails it returns false and assigns an error to the object reference passed through the pointer (only if the pointer is not null). Here's some typical usage:

NSError error;
	if (!readFromFile(path, &error)) { ... handle the error ... }

Here is how I suggest D should handle it from the caller side (I'm going to assign an initial value to `error` to make the case more general):

NSError error{+1} = initialValue;
	if (!readFromFile(path, &error{-1*}{+1})) { ... }
	error{-1}; // end of scope

In other words, the caller autoreleases the value just before the call and retain it again after the call. Then usual elision rules apply, just make sure the call to autorelease does not get elided.

Inside the called function, at the beginning you add a call opInc on the @autoreleased parameter, and call autorelease at the end to keep things balanced:

bool readFromFile(NSString path, @autoreleased NSError* error) {
		if (error && *error) *error{+1};
		// function body
		if (error && *error) *error{-1*};
	}

Again, optimise by eliding as usual but don't get rid of the final autorelease.

Note that Apple's ARC implements @autoreleased for parameters using a type attribute. I know Walter won't like the idea of adding a type attribute, so I figured a way to make it work as a storage class (at a small cost in efficiency for the NSError passing pattern).

That's all. Now you have Objective-C compatible reference counting in D.

I could elaborate on other ways to optimise things further, but I think at this stage it'd be premature optimization.

In fact, just discussing about Objective-C at this point sounds a little premature to me. Whoever implements support for autorelease will be able to do it based on whatever D will do for @rc objects. You just identify the differences and compensate for them at the right spots around function call boundaries (as I did here).

I think it'd be more important to talk about auto-nulling weak references. That's a general concept that is necessary if you want reference counting to be useful and safe at the same time.

-- 
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin@michelf.ca
https://michelf.ca

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3 4 5