June 10, 2010
Hey don and Walter feel version numbers in bugzilla are useless. Thoughts from Phobos devs?  See discussion in dmd beta list for background.

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: June 10, 2010 5:55:58 PM EDT
To: Discuss the dmd beta releases for D <dmd-beta at puremagic.com>
Subject: Re: [dmd-beta] dmd 1.062 and 2.047 beta
Reply-To: Discuss the dmd beta releases for D <dmd-beta at puremagic.com>

----- Original Message ----
Right. I think Don made a pretty good case. One
thing he didn't mention
is that there are too many version numbers, adding
two more each month
makes the list completely impractical sooner or
later.

impractical how?  I can manage it just fine.  If I want to find all D2 bugs, I just select the first D2 version, then shift click the last version.  It takes all of 5 seconds.

What's happening now is, people are selecting 'future', or I guess now they will select 'D2', and then report their compiler/phobos version in the report text, which is much harder to search for.

How would I search for bugs reported before or since some version?  Going by date doesn't work, as I've said before.  People do not update their compilers often, as the process is somewhat of a pain.

I don't know what the resistance is to having more information...  Do others besides Don and you feel the version numbers have no value?  Namely, I'm asking phobos developers who fix bugs, not dmd developers.

-Steve

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.puremagic.com/pipermail/phobos/attachments/20100610/57161689/attachment.html>
June 10, 2010
Version numbers are only useful if they can help pinpoint the change that caused the problem (assuming it's a regression).  The problem is that most of the time the bug is found ages after it's introduced.  I generally just ignore this field.

On Jun 10, 2010, at 4:08 PM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> Hey don and Walter feel version numbers in bugzilla are useless. Thoughts from Phobos devs?  See discussion in dmd beta list for background.
> 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
> Begin forwarded message:
> 
>> From: Steve Schveighoffer <schveiguy at yahoo.com>
>> Date: June 10, 2010 5:55:58 PM EDT
>> To: Discuss the dmd beta releases for D <dmd-beta at puremagic.com>
>> Subject: Re: [dmd-beta] dmd 1.062 and 2.047 beta
>> Reply-To: Discuss the dmd beta releases for D <dmd-beta at puremagic.com>
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ----- Original Message ----
>>> From: Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com>
>>> Right. I think Don made a pretty good case. One
>>> thing he didn't mention
>>> is that there are too many version numbers, adding
>>> two more each month
>>> makes the list completely impractical sooner or
>>> later.
>> 
>> impractical how?  I can manage it just fine.  If I want to find all D2 bugs, I just select the first D2 version, then shift click the last version.  It takes all of 5 seconds.
>> 
>> What's happening now is, people are selecting 'future', or I guess now they will select 'D2', and then report their compiler/phobos version in the report text, which is much harder to search for.
>> 
>> How would I search for bugs reported before or since some version?  Going by date doesn't work, as I've said before.  People do not update their compilers often, as the process is somewhat of a pain.
>> 
>> I don't know what the resistance is to having more information...  Do others besides Don and you feel the version numbers have no value?  Namely, I'm asking phobos developers who fix bugs, not dmd developers.
>> 
>> -Steve
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> dmd-beta mailing list
>> dmd-beta at puremagic.com
>> http://lists.puremagic.com/mailman/listinfo/dmd-beta
> 
> _______________________________________________