Walter
Feb 03, 2002
Laurentiu Pancescu
Feb 03, 2002
Jan Knepper
Feb 04, 2002
Walter
February 02, 2002
I just got the source of nasm-0.98bf, which seems not linkable with x32.lib, but everything is fine with x32v.lib.  OPTLINK says x32.lib is somehow corrupt (error 45).  But this only happens with that source, all other programs can be linked with x32.lib, without any problem - even the originally released version of nasm-0.98 is fine with x32.lib.  Any ideas what might trigger this behaviour?

Laurentiu

February 02, 2002
I have no idea. I would guess that the nasm .obj's are corrupt. The only way to find the problem is to cut away the nasm code until it links, then you'll know what bit caused the problem.

"Laurentiu Pancescu" <lpancescu@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:a3g66o$169a$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> I just got the source of nasm-0.98bf, which seems not linkable with
x32.lib,
> but everything is fine with x32v.lib.  OPTLINK says x32.lib is somehow corrupt (error 45).  But this only happens with that source, all other programs can be linked with x32.lib, without any problem - even the originally released version of nasm-0.98 is fine with x32.lib.  Any ideas what might trigger this behaviour?
>
> Laurentiu
>
>
>

February 03, 2002
"Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote in message news:a3gbou$1got$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> I have no idea. I would guess that the nasm .obj's are corrupt. The only
way
> to find the problem is to cut away the nasm code until it links, then
you'll
> know what bit caused the problem.

Oops... my stupid mistake!!! :(  When I modified for the first time Makefile.sc to work with DMC, I must have forgotten to type an empty line between nasm.exe and x32.lib (that empty line indicates the MAP file name, in a SMAKE inline response file).  Later, when trying to link with x32v.lib, I corrected the mistake, but a MAP file named x32.lib, was already created in the current directory, and was seen by OPTLINK instead of X32's library...  So, that's why linking with x32.lib failed, but with x32v.lib, not.

I guess simple things are the hardest to see - sorry about this, Walter!! :(

Laurentiu

February 03, 2002
This actually is a misake MANY people have made and I am among those...
It might be good to add something about this to the FAQ as this same thing has
happened to many users that accidentially overwrote their USER32.LIB and other
.LIB files...

Jan

Laurentiu Pancescu wrote:

> "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote in message news:a3gbou$1got$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> > I have no idea. I would guess that the nasm .obj's are corrupt. The only
> way
> > to find the problem is to cut away the nasm code until it links, then
> you'll
> > know what bit caused the problem.
>
> Oops... my stupid mistake!!! :(  When I modified for the first time Makefile.sc to work with DMC, I must have forgotten to type an empty line between nasm.exe and x32.lib (that empty line indicates the MAP file name, in a SMAKE inline response file).  Later, when trying to link with x32v.lib, I corrected the mistake, but a MAP file named x32.lib, was already created in the current directory, and was seen by OPTLINK instead of X32's library...  So, that's why linking with x32.lib failed, but with x32v.lib, not.
>
> I guess simple things are the hardest to see - sorry about this, Walter!! :(
>
> Laurentiu

February 04, 2002
I'm just glad you found the problem. Since it is not unique to you (!), as Jan pointed out, it is a good candidate for the FAQ. -Walter

"Laurentiu Pancescu" <lpancescu@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:a3jgvl$2u58$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote in message news:a3gbou$1got$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> > I have no idea. I would guess that the nasm .obj's are corrupt. The only
> way
> > to find the problem is to cut away the nasm code until it links, then
> you'll
> > know what bit caused the problem.
>
> Oops... my stupid mistake!!! :(  When I modified for the first time Makefile.sc to work with DMC, I must have forgotten to type an empty line between nasm.exe and x32.lib (that empty line indicates the MAP file name, in a SMAKE inline response file).  Later, when trying to link with
x32v.lib,
> I corrected the mistake, but a MAP file named x32.lib, was already created in the current directory, and was seen by OPTLINK instead of X32's library...  So, that's why linking with x32.lib failed, but with x32v.lib, not.
>
> I guess simple things are the hardest to see - sorry about this, Walter!! :(
>
> Laurentiu
>
>
>