Thread overview
A D frontend for GUI libraries.
Apr 26
Loara
Jul 09
Andrew
Jul 10
zjh
Jul 10
Andrew
Jul 13
Hipreme
Jul 10
zjh
April 26

I'm thinking about a common frontend for GUI D libraries making it easy to bind it to existent GUI libraries (GtK, SWT, SDL and maybe Qt also). So any user that wants to write a GUI application needs only to refer to this frontend and only at the end binding it to some GUI library.

Since I haven't any experience on GUI design I don't know how to proceed, so I'm waiting some experienced people before starting such project.

July 09

On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 13:06:12 UTC, Loara wrote:

>

I'm thinking about a common frontend for GUI D libraries making it easy to bind it to existent GUI libraries (GtK, SWT, SDL and maybe Qt also). So any user that wants to write a GUI application needs only to refer to this frontend and only at the end binding it to some GUI library.

Since I haven't any experience on GUI design I don't know how to proceed, so I'm waiting some experienced people before starting such project.

I only really have experience with Java's Swing and JavaFX libraries, and minimal experience with GtkD, but I'd say that making a common front-end for many different GUI libraries is going to be extremely difficult, due to how they may have completely different structures (some using XML, some using purely code), and how the behavior of components can vary slightly between versions.

July 10

On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 13:06:12 UTC, Loara wrote:

>

I'm thinking about a common frontend for GUI D libraries making

If only there was a D binding of WTL.

July 10

On Saturday, 9 July 2022 at 16:29:51 UTC, Andrew wrote:

>

I only really have experience with Java's Swing and JavaFX libraries, and minimal experience with GtkD [...]

How do we use Java graphics libraries in D?

On Sunday, 10 July 2022 at 01:07:09 UTC, zjh wrote:

>

On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 13:06:12 UTC, Loara wrote:

>

I'm thinking about a common frontend for GUI D libraries making

If only there was a D binding of WTL.

What'z the WTL? Is it related to TCL?

SDB@79

July 10

On Sunday, 10 July 2022 at 02:28:56 UTC, Salih Dincer wrote:

>

What'z the WTL? Is it related to TCL?

here.
Windows Template Library (WTL) is a C++ library for developing Windows applications and UI components.

July 10

On Sunday, 10 July 2022 at 02:28:56 UTC, Salih Dincer wrote:

>

How do we use Java graphics libraries in D?

Well, I suppose you could possible do it by making a native API available for the Java Native Interface, but this is entirely unfeasible and not worth the effort, since nobody really makes java desktop apps anymore, since webapps are easier to make and more accessible.

July 13
On Sunday, 10 July 2022 at 08:05:07 UTC, Andrew wrote:
> Well, I suppose you could possible do it by making a native API available for the Java Native Interface, but this is entirely unfeasible and not worth the effort

It is quite easy for a lot of things - my jni.d can generate D bindings automatically from a java .class or .jar file, then you call it as if it is a D class.

http://arsd-official.dpldocs.info/arsd.jni.html

Wrote it for the android apis
https://code.dlang.org/packages/d_android

but I don't think anyone ever actually used it lol


still it'd probably work for other java gui things too.


though i kinda agree it probably isn't going to work that well.
July 13
On Wednesday, 13 July 2022 at 12:07:46 UTC, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 10 July 2022 at 08:05:07 UTC, Andrew wrote:
>> Well, I suppose you could possible do it by making a native API available for the Java Native Interface, but this is entirely unfeasible and not worth the effort
>
> It is quite easy for a lot of things - my jni.d can generate D bindings automatically from a java .class or .jar file, then you call it as if it is a D class.
>
> http://arsd-official.dpldocs.info/arsd.jni.html
>
> Wrote it for the android apis
> https://code.dlang.org/packages/d_android
>
> but I don't think anyone ever actually used it lol
>
>
> still it'd probably work for other java gui things too.
>
>
> though i kinda agree it probably isn't going to work that well.

I have used yours a bit but then I reduced to only the part which I needed, so most of the things I'm doing directly from Java instead of D for keeping less code in D

Btw arsd.jni is pretty nice, I have done one based on arsd.jni but only for calling java native functions instead of full java support