Thread overview
[neovim/vim] ncm2/ncm2-d autocompletion source for d
Dec 18
viniarck
Dec 21
O/N/S
Dec 26
viniarck
Dec 27
David
Dec 28
David
Dec 28
David
Dec 29
viniarck
Dec 29
viniarck
December 18
Hi,

neovim/vim8 users out there, if you'd like to have an alternative to deoplete, ncm2 is async and really fast, works out of the box, and it has integration with UltiSnippets to further expand all the arguments of the completion in place. So far, I've been quite satisfied with it, been using for 4 months+, if you're interested check https://github.com/ncm2/ncm2-d out.

Cheers.



December 21
On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 at 22:12:52 UTC, viniarck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> neovim/vim8 users out there, if you'd like to have an alternative to deoplete, ncm2 is async and really fast, works out of the box, and it has integration with UltiSnippets to further expand all the arguments of the completion in place. So far, I've been quite satisfied with it, been using for 4 months+, if you're interested check https://github.com/ncm2/ncm2-d out

Sounds great, like a Xmas message. ;-)
Have to try it out ASAP

Regards, Ozan
December 22
On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 at 22:12:52 UTC, viniarck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> neovim/vim8 users out there, if you'd like to have an alternative to deoplete, ncm2 is async and really fast, works out of the box, and it has integration with UltiSnippets to further expand all the arguments of the completion in place. So far, I've been quite satisfied with it, been using for 4 months+, if you're interested check https://github.com/ncm2/ncm2-d out.
>
> Cheers.

Out of curiosity- what are advantages of ncm2 over deoplete?
December 26
On Saturday, 22 December 2018 at 13:25:14 UTC, Anton Pastukhov wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 at 22:12:52 UTC, viniarck wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> neovim/vim8 users out there, if you'd like to have an alternative to deoplete, ncm2 is async and really fast, works out of the box, and it has integration with UltiSnippets to further expand all the arguments of the completion in place. So far, I've been quite satisfied with it, been using for 4 months+, if you're interested check https://github.com/ncm2/ncm2-d out.
>>
>> Cheers.
>
> Out of curiosity- what are advantages of ncm2 over deoplete?

Hi Anton,

I'd say:

- Completions are populated asynchronously and in parallel, and based on my experience, using deoplete for several months, I feel like the feedback of completion you get from ncm2 is more instantaneous.
- Fully integrates with UltiSnips, so you can have snippets expansions in the arguments of the completion results, which is really nice (you can see this in the GIF of the ncm2-d for example, that my cursor jumps over each argument of the autocompleted function).
- It just works. You don't even have to tweak the settings or variable of sources to start seeing good results. On the other hand, with deoplete you're supposed to tweak a lot of settings, matchers and ranks before getting solid results.
- Integrates nicely with Language servers that you can get results from LanguageClient-neovim, for instance.

If you've never tried it out before, it's definitely worth a try.
December 27
On Wednesday, 26 December 2018 at 00:42:25 UTC, viniarck wrote:
> On Saturday, 22 December 2018 at 13:25:14 UTC, Anton Pastukhov wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 at 22:12:52 UTC, viniarck wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Out of curiosity- what are advantages of ncm2 over deoplete?
>
> Hi Anton,
>
> I'd say:
>
> - Completions are populated asynchronously and in parallel, and based on my experience, using deoplete for several months, I feel like the feedback of completion you get from ncm2 is more instantaneous.
> - Fully integrates with UltiSnips, so you can have snippets expansions in the arguments of the completion results, which is really nice (you can see this in the GIF of the ncm2-d for example, that my cursor jumps over each argument of the autocompleted function).
> - It just works. You don't even have to tweak the settings or variable of sources to start seeing good results. On the other hand, with deoplete you're supposed to tweak a lot of settings, matchers and ranks before getting solid results.
> - Integrates nicely with Language servers that you can get results from LanguageClient-neovim, for instance.
>
> If you've never tried it out before, it's definitely worth a try.

looks nice but the behavior is a bit strange, as it suggest also functions which are not imported. E.g.

import std.stdio: writeln;

completion for "wri" also brings up "writef" and all other functions from std.stdio starting with wri ...
December 27
On 12/18/2018 2:12 PM, viniarck wrote:
> neovim/vim8 users out there, if you'd like to have an alternative to deoplete, ncm2 is async and really fast, works out of the box, and it has integration with UltiSnippets to further expand all the arguments of the completion in place. So far, I've been quite satisfied with it, been using for 4 months+, if you're interested check https://github.com/ncm2/ncm2-d out.


Geez, just when I (finally) add D color syntax highlighting to microEmacs, you go and one up me!
December 28
On Thursday, 27 December 2018 at 21:50:04 UTC, David wrote:
> On Wednesday, 26 December 2018 at 00:42:25 UTC, viniarck wrote:
>> [...]
>
> looks nice but the behavior is a bit strange, as it suggest also functions which are not imported. E.g.
>
> import std.stdio: writeln;
>
> completion for "wri" also brings up "writef" and all other functions from std.stdio starting with wri ...

sorry - I was wrong! It works as expected :-) - very nice! It probably conflicted with deoplete (or something else) which may still have been in the cache ...

Now, I am wondering how I can trigger "completion" for the signature which doesn't pop up
December 28
On Friday, 28 December 2018 at 12:41:27 UTC, David wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 December 2018 at 21:50:04 UTC, David wrote:
>
> sorry - I was wrong! It works as expected :-) - very nice! It probably conflicted with deoplete (or something else) which may still have been in the cache ...
>
> Now, I am wondering how I can trigger "completion" for the signature which doesn't pop up

got it :-) The caveat is that also using ncm2-ultisnips

    inoremap <silent> <expr> <CR> ncm2_ultisnips#expand_or("\<CR>", 'n')

needs to be set after

    inoremap <expr> <CR> (pumvisible() ? "\<c-y>\<cr>" : "\<CR>")

which was a bit random in my case with lazily loading plugins ...




December 29
On Friday, 28 December 2018 at 23:42:20 UTC, David wrote:
> On Friday, 28 December 2018 at 12:41:27 UTC, David wrote:
>> On Thursday, 27 December 2018 at 21:50:04 UTC, David wrote:
>>
>> sorry - I was wrong! It works as expected :-) - very nice! It probably conflicted with deoplete (or something else) which may still have been in the cache ...
>>
>> Now, I am wondering how I can trigger "completion" for the signature which doesn't pop up
>
> got it :-) The caveat is that also using ncm2-ultisnips
>
>     inoremap <silent> <expr> <CR> ncm2_ultisnips#expand_or("\<CR>", 'n')
>
> needs to be set after
>
>     inoremap <expr> <CR> (pumvisible() ? "\<c-y>\<cr>" : "\<CR>")
>
> which was a bit random in my case with lazily loading plugins ...

I'm glad you sorted it out, David. If you need further help just file an issue.

December 29
On Friday, 28 December 2018 at 00:06:21 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/18/2018 2:12 PM, viniarck wrote:
>> neovim/vim8 users out there, if you'd like to have an alternative to deoplete, ncm2 is async and really fast, works out of the box, and it has integration with UltiSnippets to further expand all the arguments of the completion in place. So far, I've been quite satisfied with it, been using for 4 months+, if you're interested check https://github.com/ncm2/ncm2-d out.
>
>
> Geez, just when I (finally) add D color syntax highlighting to microEmacs, you go and one up me!

:)